Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Fantom

gino

Lack of multisamples is nothing to me. I would venture that less than 5 percent of past Fantom users ever use them. Plus you can always connect a computer. I like the dual CV/Gate outputs and it seems that they are really targeting the electronic music scene.

I'm more interested in knowing if they integrated the organ.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Lack of multisamples is nothing to me. I would venture that less than 5 percent of past Fantom users ever use them. Plus you can always connect a computer.

I could be wrong, but I suppose that most people who buy keyboards these days, do it because they play live. In the studio you can replace everything with the computer, not just the multisample option. Now, if you take the bigger picture, worldwide people will miss some specific sounds (probably mostly ethnic type natural sounds) which are not present in the Fantom and can't be added later. So, they will skip the Fantom and buy a Montage or Kronos instead.

But you could be right, they are probably targeting the electronic music scene. Another bad decision IMHO because an all purpose keyboard like a Fantom should be targeted to a wider range and there is not a lot missing to achieve that.

Unfortunately, I live and die by multisampling. However, there is a glimmer of hope:

Drawing from over four decades of genre-defining sounds, FANTOM"s expandable sound engine nails our classic synths but pushes into new sonic territory as well. Our custom Behavior Modeling Chips power FANTOM"s core, with smooth and precise control, loads of polyphony, and full patch remain. And FANTOM is part of an expandable platform, with new sounds and new possibilities coming.

Maybe it'll be like the G-series where multisampling was added later.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

They went down the same road as Montage. Everything is a single mode. I don"t care for the color scheme on the right panel, looks like it will be harder to read in low light conditions , sort of like the MOX. But the specs look solid. The 8 is 61 pounds, the 7 is around 40 pounds. These are real instruments.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Looks like a real instrument. As Andrew said, it seems to borrow a lot of look from a Montage. At the end of the day, I can't yet clearly summarize what this allows me to do that I can't do with my FA-07.

I think I'm more likely to GAS for the new Jupiter next year as my workstation interests continue to move further into the MacBook platform.

But it's nice to see Roland come back with some real flagship builds again! Seems to be a welcome new generation of choices for us.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

So....yeah!!!!!

I just got done watching the long video with the connectivity breakdown as far as all the i/o.... This is a serious instrument that speaks directly to me. I love they've brought over the XLR outs, as well as the XLR In.

Also, it's built in Audio i/0 can have its outputs routed to any of the physical outputs. Which brings me to having the 2 sets of sub outs (4 total). In my use, I could run the organ thru a sub out to my Lester K. etc..etc..

Yes, I am one of those who doesn't need user multi-sampling. Like anything, specific features likes and dislikes come down to individual desires. I never used it on my old Fantom X6. I did use expansion cards. It appears they say the new one is designed to be expandable?

Anyway, my initial though is.... I want one

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I"ll take the 7 if I don"t retire. Maybe give the FA06 to a young player. But retirement maybe a lot of fun.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the ' modeless ' concept is smart

No reliance on keeping up with computer tech , or struggling with massive processing requirements.

And the recording, YESSir. I like the strength and options, etc etc

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

It's one solid offering . If I didn't have a Kronos and was looking for a big workstation this would be high on the list, although it's heavyish (Fantom 7 is same weight as my Kronos LE 88).

From the features at the Roland site:

FANTOM runs multiple synthesis technologies simultaneously, for authentic acoustic and electronic sounds, both modern and classic. You can also sample your own sounds and trigger up to 2 GBs worth of loops and one-shots from the pad matrix. There"s a fully routable analog filter for extra warmth and grit, and you can even mix soft synths with FANTOM"s internal sounds.

"Sample your own sounds". Is this the indication user multisamples will come in the future?

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

At this point, I"m just glad Roland hasn"t abandoned this market. After the Jupiters were discontinued I really thought they were done here. I regretted selling my Jupiter 50, thinking they weren"t gonna make another thing like it.

As much as I have appreciated my Yamahas/Korg/Nord, I don"t vibe with them quite the way I vibe with Roland"s stuff.

Sweetwater lists them as in stock and shipping now. I can"t wait!

As for future updates, I remember the Fantom X didn"t have audio recording at first, that was added with the 2.0 update. So adding multi-sampling with an update sounds possible to me.