Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drummer Hearing Protection

JessHorner23

Hey guys!

I play drums for an avant-garde metal band. We just started this one but I've played for other bands before. I've been having some trouble with my ears lately and knowing that I have tried other earplugs and they somehow failed me(hurt my ear or can't hear a thing), I looked for custom musician earplugs and found

. They have interchangeable filters ranging from 9dB to 32dB cuts and I think that would be perfect for me. What can you say guys? Should I call them now? Do you have other suggestions or recommendations? I'm scared of losing my hearing so I'd be willing to spend big bucks if I really have to. By the way, here's a link to their website if you want to check them out. https://www.bigearinc.com/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try the triple-flanged "HEAROS High Fidelity Musician Ear Plugs" first. They cost about $10. I bet they're plenty quiet enough for your rehearsals (and if not, tell the guitarists to turn down! ;)

I used to use custom-fit earplugs with removable filters. I found that they were so quiet that I felt removed from the music. It was hard for me to feel the energy of the band, because the band sounded two-dimensional, far away, and lifeless. Playing drums has always been really visceral to me. The custom fit earplugs killed that feeling. YMMV.

BTW, I've also tried the electronic ones that run a limiter on ambient sound over a certain SPL. The idea of those was that they attenuate more during the song, but let you converse in normal voices between songs -- without removing the earplugs. Those were not comfortable enough to talk with them in, and they distorted really badly every time I hit my snare drum. So much for high-tech DSP.

The huge attenuation numbers look good on paper but might be too much of a good thing. Those Hearos are my daily driver now.

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com

Of course it's more expensive and complicated logistically, but if you can instead use in-ear monitors, there are a ton of benefits. I know a lot of drummers who use them. Since you're stationary anyway, you don't need to spend money on a wireless system. But for optimal results, everything has to be mic'd up and you have to have control over your own mix. For most of the gigs I play, this isn't a problem since it's typically a digital mixe. I just use my iPhone to wirelessly set my own mix. The advantage is you can get everything dialed in just the way you want to hear it and the IEM's block out everything else. Many of the drummers I know who use them also like to have a buttkicker in their throne so they can feel the bass as well, since you lose that without an actual air-moving monitor.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I would try the triple-flanged "HEAROS High Fidelity Musician Ear Plugs" first. They cost about $10. I bet they're plenty quiet enough for your rehearsals (and if not, tell the guitarists to turn down! ;)

I used to use custom-fit earplugs with removable filters. I found that they were so quiet that I felt removed from the music. It was hard for me to feel the energy of the band, because the band sounded two-dimensional, far away, and lifeless. Playing drums has always been really visceral to me. The custom fit earplugs killed that feeling. YMMV.

BTW, I've also tried the electronic ones that run a limiter on ambient sound over a certain SPL. The idea of those was that they attenuate more during the song, but let you converse in normal voices between songs -- without removing the earplugs. Those were not comfortable enough to talk with them in, and they distorted really badly every time I hit my snare drum. So much for high-tech DSP.

The huge attenuation numbers look good on paper but might be too much of a good thing. Those Hearos are my daily driver now.

Flanged plugs hurt my ears somehow and I'm not sure why. Yeah, I'm also thinking about getting electronic ones but if I'm going to buy a pair of that maybe I'll set my budget first. I saw a pair that cost almost $3000 and I'm not sure if that would be a good purchase.

Of course it's more expensive and complicated logistically, but if you can instead use in-ear monitors, there are a ton of benefits. I know a lot of drummers who use them. Since you're stationary anyway, you don't need to spend money on a wireless system. But for optimal results, everything has to be mic'd up and you have to have control over your own mix. For most of the gigs I play, this isn't a problem since it's typically a digital mixe. I just use my iPhone to wirelessly set my own mix. The advantage is you can get everything dialed in just the way you want to hear it and the IEM's block out everything else. Many of the drummers I know who use them also like to have a buttkicker in their throne so they can feel the bass as well, since you lose that without an actual air-moving monitor.

I'd probably lean more to electronic stuff but maybe find something around a grand. Most of what I see cost around 3 grand and I'm not sure if that would be a good thing.

You can go way cheaper than that with good results.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used a pair of Etymotic full range custom molded plugs for years (unfortunately many years too late). But even the 15dB plugs cut way too many highs and limit my enjoyment. I"ve gone the route of custom molded earplugs. When left unpowered they block about 25dB. I use a little Rolls headphone amp that has both a line in for a monitor mix from the board and a mic input with which I plug an omni mic. I bleed a little of both back in. That gives me much better results than the plugs alone.