Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie speaker to pair with Mojo

cedar

I'm starting to come around to the view that I would be happier with my Mojo if I paired it with a Leslie (particularly if I am lucky enough to find a bargain).

Nowadays, I use the Mojo almost entirely for jazz organ trios. I gig infrequently, but often host sessions at my house. Ease of transportation is a concern, but if the price were right (whatever that means), I might even buy one just for home use.

At any rate, I would not be playing this in large rooms.

Any recommendations/suggestions? I am in no hurry to make a purchase and have time to bargain-hunt. But I really don't have any sense right now what models I should look for, let alone what prices are reasonable.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That website is very helpful. But unless I am speaking too quickly, I don't think it provides any suggestions for market value, which would also be useful to me.

And while I have your attention, does anyone have an opinion whether this is a fair price?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/d/leslie-122-xb-speaker-cabinet/6960915696.html

Reportedly a Leslie 122 XB Speaker Cabinet in great shape, asking $1750.

That website is very helpful. But unless I am speaking too quickly, I don't think it provides any suggestions for market value, which would also be useful to me.

And while I have your attention, does anyone have an opinion whether this is a fair price?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/d/leslie-122-xb-speaker-cabinet/6960915696.html

No values, but it does provide a pretty good list and descriptions.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Those go for around $3500 new, so that's a decent price. Do you have a Mojo with the 11-pin Leslie connector? I think at least one of the Mojo's has that?

I'm surprised the Leslie Studio 12 doesn't get much love. It seems like a fairly smallish size (heavy weight though), and at $1500, not outrageously priced. Although, I've NEVER seen them in stock at Sweetwater, or Kraft ("will be receiving more in a couple of weeks" lol - yah, right).

If portability is a major factor the 2101 mk. 2 is worth considering. Granted it uses a lower rotor sim, but it moves air, is customizable using the back panel, and with a decent bass amp puts out a ton of sound. And it is a Leslie.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I'm surprised the Leslie Studio 12 doesn't get much love. It seems like a fairly smallish size (heavy weight though), and at $1500, not outrageously priced.

I had one and sold it to another forum member here in DC. Young guy, first leslie. Running a Mojo 61 through it and loves it. Mine did come from Sweetwater, though that was many years ago.

:nopity:

I'm starting to come around to the view that I would be happier with my Mojo if I paired it with a Leslie (particularly if I am lucky enough to find a bargain).

Nowadays, I use the Mojo almost entirely for jazz organ trios. I gig infrequently, but often host sessions at my house. Ease of transportation is a concern, but if the price were right (whatever that means), I might even buy one just for home use.

At any rate, I would not be playing this in large rooms.

Any recommendations/suggestions? I am in no hurry to make a purchase and have time to bargain-hunt. But I really don't have any sense right now what models I should look for, let alone what prices are reasonable.)

I assume you've tried a Vent and are not happy; or are you using the internal sim of the Mojo? I went about 3 months playing the internal leslie of the Gemini (same as the Mojo). During a recent gig the last set was more organ intensive and during the break I moved to the Vent. Wow, the difference was immediately noticeable to me. So, I'm not sure what you are currently using but the Gemini through a Vent is pretty convincing. If you are going down the leslie route, a tube leslie would be my recommendation and most jazz players lean toward a 122 rather than a 147 amp.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I actually have not tried the Vent myself, but have heard from others who either thought the internal sim of the Mojo was basically as good as the Vent and/or still not nearly as good as a real Leslie. I

Most of the time, I run the Mojo through the Space Station and Behringer sub. .

I have no idea if my Mojo has the 11 pt connector. This is my second Mojo, purchased about 2 years ago I think.

Outkaster,

I am in southern Westchester, about 30 minutes from Manhattan.

The new version of the Mojo has an 11 pin Leslie interface. It should be quite obvious if you check the back panel of your Mojo whether it is present or not. Be aware that if your Mojo not include a 11 pin Leslie interface you will need a Leslie preamp with line input. The Leslie 122XB is 11 pin, but may include an optional card with line input, Leslie speed switch input and mains switch. Before eventually buying the Leslie 122XB you should check whether the Leslie includes this optional card or not.

I'm surprised the Leslie Studio 12 doesn't get much love. It seems like a fairly smallish size (heavy weight though), and at $1500, not outrageously priced. Although, I've NEVER seen them in stock at Sweetwater, or Kraft ("will be receiving more in a couple of weeks" lol - yah, right).

I just picked up a Studio 12W today from GC / MF. They just got them in stock. Still in the box have not had a chance to open it up yet. Looks like the uncaring will be Friday. It's the wood version for my project studio. More come when I get it fired up.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I have no idea if my Mojo has the 11 pt connector. This is my second Mojo, purchased about 2 years ago I think.

Outkaster,

I am in southern Westchester, about 30 minutes from Manhattan.

Send me a PM. I know I will be down your way next month.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

What's yer budget?

Always consider a shortie tube leslie like a 145 or 142.

No particular budget right now, because I'm not in any rush. My scheme is to identify the ideal models, bide my time in searching, and then one day happen upon an amazing deal.

In the meantime, I'm really at the stage when I'm just trying to educate myself.

You can pair a vintage unit to your Mojo without a lot of difficulty as well. Budget $400 for this plus $100 for a cable and you'll be in safe shape. I'd recommend a two speeder with treble horns and a tube amp. 122, 142, 145, 147, also the 251 if you can do basic electronics work (or if BookerLab starts making 251-ready products).

And for the record, there ain't NOTHIN' like moving air.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

145 ... great size...and the treble horn and bass rotors are closer ...always like the sound better for monitoring on a table or stand or (even just on the floor)...of course you loose the floor coupling that way

but arguably you get a better 'composite' Leslie sound for your stage monitoring. 122/147's the sound is pretty far apart between the horn and bass rotor, deeper bass and OK in a larger rooms....as a youngster I usually put my 145 on a table back opened not to far from the organ, now for gigs I just leave it on the dolly...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

How do you run a Mojo61 through a 145 Leslie?

Only way I know is buy a Trek preamp pedal ($600 and out of stock), or buy a vintage Leslie combo preamp pedal (hard to find, ~$400).

A couple years ago, I stupidly sold my Leslie preamp pedal and sold it too cheaply, probably to one of you forumites :mad:

Is there another method?