Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you go out?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not anymore. I have a school-age kid, my husband and I have busy daytime schedules, plus I am still leading a band (we play only 1 to 3 times per month at this point), and we don't do many date nights. As a family, we all do tae kwon do. That is a significant commitment multiple nights (and part of a weekend morning) per week.

Aside from my own gigs, I seem to go out to see friends' bands on rare occasion, or do date night with hubs which involves a nice meal out but usually doesn't include catching a show. Just the way it is right now for me.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I go out often in terms of seeing pro-level concerts and comedians too, another art form I'm a big fan of. As far as seeing local/cover bands, it's more of a once in a while thing, a bit more in summer maybe when it would be more of an outdooor or waterside activity, but off-season it's true, I'm very prone to staying in with my girlfriend and finding something good to watch, that's so easy these days! It's tough 'coz I really want my musician friends to come out to my gigs once in a while but I understand it's tough to drag myself to theirs!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

....but Steve Morse covering Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple?

Thats an easy sell, can"t wait to see if the keyboards are close to the mighty Lord (RIP)

I'm a huge Don Airey fan so I'd have a hard time passing up that show!

Just saw Don and DP last night in Riverside, really he is the star of the show at this point. He seems to get better and better every year. His latest album One of A Kind is a terrific album- a lot like DP and Rainbow- terrific melodic hard rock with stellar vocals and guitar work, great songs with Don's awesome keyboard playing.

And I'm a huge Steve Morse fan, and the rest are still killing it. Ian Paice is a wonder and Ian Gillan still sings well. I missed the close up cameras they had in 2017, showing things like Don's hands on the keyboards on big screens behind the stage- that was awesome. Blackmore is my favorite musician too- but he quit the band. There's no way he would be doing the amount of dates DP does even at the reduced level they tour. He semi retired. So the right decision in getting Steve was done. He is terrific. And sadly Blackmore can barely play anymore anyway due to age.

Just saw Don and DP last night in Riverside, really he is the star of the show at this point. He seems to get better and better every year. His latest album One of A Kind is a terrific album- a lot like DP and Rainbow- terrific melodic hard rock with stellar vocals and guitar work, great songs with Don's awesome keyboard playing.

And I'm a huge Steve Morse fan, and the rest are still killing it. Ian Paice is a wonder and Ian Gillan still sings well.

That's good to hear, all of it. Might get me off the fence about getting tickets for DP here in five weeks. Strangely, I've never seen them. Its a Friday though which is hard for me.

A week later is Blue Oyster Cult, who I have seen, several times. Another favorite. October is shaping up to be a busy month for me!

As far as local bands go, I rarely go out to see one unless I am connected to them in some way, or it's a very exceptional band whose music I've already heard. For instance, I'll be going soon to see a new and very popular band around here, whose sax player was in a Bob Seger Tribute with me some years back. I always end up disappointed going "feet wet" into just any band's gig.

For well-known legacy bands that I loved back in the 70s, I get out now and then, but not often. A few years ago I took my son to see Jethro Tull (and he loved it!), and just last March my wife and I went out to see Procul Harum (and she loved it!). Both great shows by masters of the profession.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I am single and not tied down, so I get to go out a lot, most nights when I'm not working on a Friday or Saturday. I have a few bands I like to see from friends on Facebook.If I don't know the band I try to check them out before hand to see if it's worth it. If it's the same old Play That Funky Music Get Down Tonight Brown Eyed Girl band I am not going.

Yeah there are only a few local bands I enjoy singing, I've been single for a couple years and not interested in dating at this point, so unless I want to go out by myself, I would need to go with friends, except most of them are all musicians and in the same boat of either having gigs, or not too eager to go out in a night off. The rare occasion that I do go out is when I know for a fact that some other friends will be there as well.....and like me, most of them are only interested in seeing a few of the local bands.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Apart from whether there's something going on here that would possibly prevent me from living in that idea, there's the important question about interpretation

If or when you go out, it's because then you're "out", right? Like "It's Saturday night, no work, no chores, I'm going to the bar to meet some friends", which logically implies you're not "In Da House" or something of that nature. I mean since we're talking terminology here...

T

Afraid not.

Just don't have the energy anymore: sure, I'll go have a few beers, maybe play a bit of pool after the day job. Keep following up on some lady friends, just for funsies. Nothing serious.

I don't even listen to music anymore, except in the car, or to get some ideas for some stuff I'm trying to play.

Just not enough hours in the day, it seems, except to keep basically competent at my bag of tunes, and occasionally keep in contact with my crew of sidemen in case an odd music job shows up that pays enough to make it worth getting it up on the stage.

That was kind of a depressing post, but that's just the way it is for now.

It's not so bad, just get out enough to socialize with some familiar faces, many of whom are themselves musicians in some way or another. My town being what it is, you can't really cross the street without meeting some people who are having some little projects going on, music-wise. So, there's always a little ear to the ground seeing who's doing what, and all that.

I don't know how it's even possible with small children. The first one slowed my nightlife down to a trickle. The second cut if off entirely. Come the morning they're up and at 'em, and they don't care what you did the night before. That's not burning the candle at both ends. That's tossing the candelabra in the fire pit.

When I was single I went out all the time. Sometimes for live music but more often for dancing. I told myself I was doing research, to see what makes people move. Maybe I was just rationalizing chasing women. Probably both.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

With full time work I tend to go out more on weekends- mostly a songwriting group I am in but days of open mics during the week at cofee places or bars are gone. I'm sure I miss out on a lot but thats how it is. I do attend around 25-30 various concerts a year but then that can eat into my creative time.

I never did go out much, preferring to stay home and work on my music skills, or listen to music (In my 20s, I didn't own a TV). I didn't even go see movies much. Going to concerts was better, used to see everyone I could afford. Over time I found I enjoyed the cheaper local shows more than the Big Names -- easier to get in and out, cheaper to go, more intimate environment. Couple months ago went to see local singer/songwriter Saint John at a brewpub ... I was the whole audience. SJ is always phenomenal of course, a real pro.

Now that my kids are well into their teens, getting out happens again -- just last week, my wife and I saw a fantastic local band (Cytrus) in a restaurant/bar ... 7 musicians crammed into the corner, playing all-original fusion/improv, no cover charge. A decade or two from now, those guys should be legends.

Exciting times, makes me glad I quit the four cover bands I was playing in. And that's what it's about, I think -- going out should feel worthwhile. Just a matter of finding what's worth the effort. Anyone in the Seattle area, I recommend these two acts.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

I go out as much as I can. I really believe in the power of a scene, and in artists supporting one another. I remember going to The Jazz Standard in NYC and sitting at the same table as Ethan Iverson and Adam Nussbaum, or Billy Hart being a few tables away. I also still like going out, hearing my friends, and discovering new music.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.