Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hydrasynth

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I incorrectly read that as "HydroSynth", thinking it was some crazy synth that used water as a tone generator (which sounds farkin RAD, btw).

Oh, I have envisioned using a water reservoir as a slow compressor. After all, that's practically what a water tower is, just 10000x as slow. It would work like an optical compressor but with liquid.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

The part that excites me the most is Medeli having a history of licensing their actions out to other manufacturers. How long until we see the first poly AT keyboard using the same action from someone else?

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Might want one more octave sometimes but poly AT and that ribbon are pretty cool.

Four octaves and only 8 voices is a bit of a deal breaker, even with poly AT. :(

8 voices is a deal breaker? That's 2 more voices than most guitars!

Plus, at this price, you could practically get a keyboard and add a module ...

Price given here is $1299 keyboard, $899 desktop - reasonable considering the reported build quality I guess. UI seems workable, but would have liked to have seen a few more dedicated knobs on a synth like this,[video:youtube]

Price given here is $1299 keyboard, $899 desktop - reasonable considering the reported build quality I guess. UI seems workable, but would have liked to have seen a few more dedicated knobs on a synth like this,[video:youtube]

On another forum, several peeps compare it to Novation Peak, fair or not. I think it's because they latch on to the wavetable and analog/VA aspects.

Peak has more knobs, but it's a desktop synth and also costs quite a bit more than the Hydrasynth desktop.

Novation Summit has a keyboard and more knobs but the price gap is even larger between it and the Hydrasynth keyboard, and it doesn't have polyAT or ribbon unless I missed something.

Well,- 5 multi-waveform LFOs, 5 6-stage ENV generators, modmatrix and kind of SEM state-variable filter (filter #2) make this device interesting alone.

Looks like Oberheim (xpanderish) modulation playground and more.

Poly AT cool and w/ 4 oct. only better than nothing,- but I´d prefer 61 keys though.

Demos sound good too.

I wonder where to find a Medelli synth action built into an already existing synth/keyboard instrument.

Do they work well ?

A.C.

I don't hear anything that reminds me of the Peak in this new synth. I listened too about half the Sweetwater Demo and tuned out. Its not very musical, its OK if you want to make strange noises,

I didn't care for the straight VA sound either. So, count me out.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't hear anything that reminds me of the Peak in this new synth. I listened too about half the Sweetwater Demo and tuned out. Its not very musical, its OK if you want to make strange noises,

I didn't care for the straight VA sound either. So, count me out.

Mike T.

I also didn't agree that it's all that comparable to Peak/Summit, fwiw.

Loopop's and Nick's (SonicState) were enough to pique my interest, but... fair enough, we all have our tastes.

Listening to Sweetwater's video - out of my continued respect and admiration for Daniel Fisher. He just submitted a Leslie sim patch for the Zoia but that's OT now... I actually like some of the pad sounds he's played so far, but again, to each their own.

EDIT: Fisher really likes "Fly Like an Eagle". He contributed a factory preset for Zoia that has that sound. I like his 2nd electric piano patch.

AN danother example of why I know others before me *knew* those accurate analogue curves would be _impossible_ to recreate by all kinds of digital signal path considerations.

I recognize some of my teenage digital electronic synthesizer/organ attempts in the sound of this one, not nice. But overall I agree with the not very musical idea, and I recognize very much why that is...

T

Only interesting synth out the recent crop of the same old cheesy tones bathed in FX.

There"s so much more to this synth than the demos I"ve seen.

I"m getting one ASAP and if it"s not what I anticipate somebody will buy it.

It"s more of the controlling and modulating the sound that piques my interests.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic