Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keys Backline Biz

I posted earlier about my adventures providing keyboard backline for a touring artist. ended up buying a Roland Fantom G6 that we did not want for more than we wanted to spend.

The majority of our backline requests are just for an 88-key digital piano. We used my Casio PX-5s for this until recently, we lucked into a new Korg Krome 88 for an incredible deal. The Krome has paid for itself in rentals just this summer.

The next most common are for a Nord Electro or Stage. Never seen a Nord Lead on a rider.

After that, the minority of requests we see are for specific makes/models. Of those, it's mostly Yammaha Motif's, then a surprising number of requests for Korg Tritons. More requests for Korg Kronos lately. We have seen exactly 1 request for a Fantom.

Very occasionally do we get requests for a Hammonds/Rhodes/etc.. My Rhodes has gone out on a few gigs, Craig Taborn played it and make it sound amazing! Much as I'd love to get a B3/122, it'd take decades of rentals to cover the costs.

This is in the Pacific NW, I understand it's different in other parts of the country.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was more thinking about Moe developing his backline business for Trebuchets.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.