Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Morphing between human voices

Does anyone know of software that will morph from one person's vocal (or speech) to another person's?

I'd like to do the auditory equivalent of these 'deepfake' videos where they replace one actor's face with another. I'd like to slowly morph from one voice to another.

Any ideas for how to approach this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about morphing seamlessly - that sounds pretty tricky - but you could use a vocoder for the transition. Track 1 starts with voice 1 clean, then gradually wetten the chosen vocoder effect until it's 100% wet. Track 2 has voice 2 on the same note with the same 100% wet vocoder effect and gradually dial the effect down until voice 2 is clean. I can imagine this resulting in a pretty cool sounding transition, but I don't know if it suits what you're trying to do.

Something like THIS? I don't think you'll find anything that will morph from one specific voice to another, but you're essentially looking a formant shifting and pitch shifting, in terms of what is technically occurring. There are a number of effects out there that do this sort of thing, but it might take some meticulous editing to get close to what you want.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There are products like MorphVOX, Choir Boy and Voxal Voice Changer which seem to produce interesting and convincing results in some cases:

[video:youtube]

However you seem to suggest morphing from one actual person's voice to another person's actual verse (or I may be assuming the wrong things from your original post).

Morphing from one recorded audio to another (e.g., a man and a woman speaking the exact same sentence) is another task, and this short article on voice morphing seems to suggest the best results (the listener perceiving a smooth 'linear' morph from A to B) come from changing the intended parameters in a non-linear fashion over time. I'm guessing you would be looking to combine independent and gradual changes in pitch and formant (using a VST like Choir Boy) with crossfading with the target track.