Print Thread
A little bossa nova #3006321 09/03/19 06:45 PM
R
Reezekeys Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
R
I made this video a few years ago but didn't like how I fumbled the intro a bit – it was way too long. I finally got around to editing it so please forgive the abrupt beginning, lol!

This is an improvisation on the chords changes of one chorus of a bossa nova by a great modern Brazilian composer named Guinga. The name of the song is Exilio E Paraiso ("Exiles and Paradise"). Another well known Brazilian, Aldir Blanc, wrote the lyrics. I first heard this song on a CD by the singer Leila Pinheiro – the CD is called Catavento E Girassol (Pinwheels and Sunflowers). I really liked the chord progression and especially guitarist Lula Galvao's solo (of course I liked the vocal but I'm somewhat hampered by not being a Portuguese speaker!). I was inspired to transcribe the song and start playing it. Well, it took over a year before I could play a chorus I wasn't completely disgusted by! This is not your tin-pan-alley II-V-I chord movement, nor is it especially modal; you simply can't play any "licks" that will sound good – I had to work on playing as melodically as possible. I recommend this tune to any jazz musician looking to improve their playing, even though the song is not exactly jazz as some might define it.

Here's my take:

And here is the original version that inspired me. Guitar solo at 1:52. This is one of my favorite CDs:

KC Island
Re: A little bossa nova [Re: Reezekeys] #3006339 09/03/19 07:38 PM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
just watched, Rob. Will watch a few more times to learn a thing or two. smile 2thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara