Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The 7 Levels of Jazz Harmony

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam's videos are always interesting and good info spread throughout. It would be good learning tool to take those levels and try using them on any song you know to develop an ear for adding changes and progressing from simple adding chords to really reharming a tune.

Great production values in this vid, as well as interesting content.

This reminds me that I was going to share Adam's most recent Q+A vid, where he recommends "being the worst musician in the band". This certainly applies to the soul/disco group I work with - I'm probably the weakest muso in the line-up. Not by much, but I notice I have to bring my utmost A game to every song on every gig to keep up. And that's a good thing. The others are all groove monsters, and I'm noticing my sense of time improving through sheer osmosis.

Cheers, Mike

This is really great! As a musician who has picked up jazz harmony mainly by ear, it resonates. I can do up to the meat and potatos + tritone substitutions fairly comfortably, and love playing pedal point stuff, but struggle with the more advanced levels 5 and 6 reharm.

I would love to be able to take tunes and reharmonize to that level, but doing so on a more delicate scale (than Adam's examples) with the intent of creating tear inducing emotions.

I'd like to get Linwood's take on this.

Calling Dr. Linwood.... Calling Dr. Linwood....

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I also like the way all that knowledge was distilled and put into bite-size segments.

Great content and great delivery.

My music theory is all theory and not enough put into practice.

So Adam's video really hit home as it gave me a bird's eye view of jazz levels.

For some reason, this version of "Round Midnight" caught and kept my ear.

I'm very happy I can play it by memory now.

A lot of things here 'click' more thanks to Adam's examples.

[video:youtube]