Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OTish: How many midi cables do you have?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I joined the midi world when I got my then new Prophet 600, my DIN MIDI cables have taken on a life of their own.

Of course over the years, bad cable get tossed. Currently I have about 20 MIDI cable of various lengths from 3 feet to 25 feet.

I have about 10 USB A to B cables on hand in various lengths. 6 to 15 feet in my cable in my cable inventory.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I have not counted them in a long time. I will endeavor to do this in the coming week.

I've been buying MIDI cables since 1985 and have a variety of uses for them over the years. I have a bunch of "special project" short ones and some "extra special project" long ones, in addition to a ton of snakes that include 30' of MIDI with right angled custom jobs and so forth. I love the fact that there are a couple of MIDI cables I remember from the earliest days that I still use and still work perfectly. I have a 3' red MIDI cable with heavy duty ends and it will never die.

In the studio, Inhave a MOTU express 128 plus a M-Audio 4x4, all connected so, 24 cables at least between the Midi patchbay and the synths.... But beside the Prohet 12 that is USB complaint, all have just Midi out/in/thru, no USB....and live, I use a Roland A880, all channels connected so, same thing ar least 16 plus few thru so, maybe 20/25....I don't want any computer in my live rig so, cables....mIdi and audio, a lot.... But all,in snakes that are all labelled so, even someone who k owns nothing about my rig could plug it in....
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Have a handful. Used to have a ton - not sure where they all went.. I don't usually use more than a couple at a time....typically just 1.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used to have an extensive MIDI rig in my studio, including 4 30' midi cables to go to the sides of the room, those were ridiculously expensive when I got them in 19??. Still have most of the cables, probably at least 50. Current setup uses 4, mostly to patch the Nord Micromodular.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I have kept a small napsack where I store my unused midi cables for the last 10 years or so, probably have a dozen or so of varying lengths. Have one currently connected from my Mojo to my pedalboard. Have two on standby in case I want to use a VST via my Audio Kontrol interfaces, or need to use Bome SX to change patches in my Minimoog Voyager or Waldorf Blofeld. They don't seem to get much use lately though.
:nopity:

10-ish. Nowadays, I get more use out of the MIDI-to-USB converter cable that I connect my XP-80 to my MacBook Pro for Mainstage and practice at home.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Whenever I assemble some new combination I want to play with, the answer seems likely to be "one fewer than I need."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Whenever I assemble some new combination I want to play with, the answer seems likely to be "one fewer than I need."

This!!

I have that happen when setting up a new Mainstage/GigPerformer configuration. I swear whatever number of USB i need, I, too, will end up with one fewer....even if they were all just right here!!! :)

3. It's odd.

:facepalm::D

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage