How do you get yourself into the studio? #3003534 08/16/19 06:04 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
What does it take? idk

Do you need to have an idea already? Do you need to schedule a specific time/book a seesion? Or maybe get a new piece of gear? See/hear something online like a gear review, or a recording tip that you want to try? Something else?

For me, it's a combination of the above....buyt there's rarely anything that gets be to fire the toys up like having an idea that just has to be explored. cool

dB

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3003758 08/18/19 01:28 AM
DavidFord Offline
Dave Bryce, I know what Im going to say, is not the same way your putting it, but I guess it could be. When you say 'studio' your prob meaning an address of a place of business. Me? My studio is my bedroom. But that fact, you asked a very great question IMO, id like to answer it. And it may be more info than you think.

First off, I have to say, I find music in "E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G" Now that I said that, let me explain. I always had a bad habit doing what I just said. Finding music in everything. It could be something I saw on TV, to hearing someone playing music driving by. Ive also seen great music in childrens toys (yes LOL) I recently seen a show from the UK called "Strictest Parents". And in this one episode, the parent rewarded the visiting kid, with her kids singing a song to her. The song was called "Homeward Bound" The 2 kids flippin nailed it. Loved the melody, and tried to do a copy (instrumental) on my own. Course everyone in the comments thought it was cringy. Not me LOL.

Second. I usually enter the studio with an idea already (well most of the time) You see, Ive never limited my self, to hearing music. From rock to disco to around country and possibly thrash, there is a crap load of ideas in my head. I dont think my canvas was ever blank. To have a clear head in very rare for me. And yes, sometimes a gear piece is the goal to use. Im still trying to find an idea where I can use my digitech whammy peddle.

I cant tell you the amount of time, an idea has hit me out of the blue. I remember once I had to walk to the train station cause my car died, and Im standing around a bunch of people, and this melody hits me like a car wreck. Tired of losing great ideas away from any instruments, I took out the crappy phone I had, and went to the record audio feature it had. I hit record, and started humming this melody into it. Im glad I wasnt too loud, but a few people did see me do this. I was a bit embarrassed, and just said, "Its for a song later" Im so glad I got smiles instead of eye rolls LMAO razz

So, ya. The studio for me, is always busy. I wish I could just enter with a clear mind, but I know that will prob never happen. And then to get those ideas in my head, and on to paper, well, thats a totally different fight smile

PS: That homeward bound song (not Simon and Garfunkle version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VKf_tBSd44

Last edited by DavidFord; 08/18/19 01:30 AM.

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go
Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: DavidFord] #3003854 08/18/19 06:10 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
Originally Posted by DavidFord
Dave Bryce, I know what Im going to say, is not the same way your putting it, but I guess it could be. When you say 'studio' your prob meaning an address of a place of business. Me? My studio is my bedroom.

MIne, too!!! Almost makes it harder sometimes - all I have to do is go upstairs. rolleyes facepalm

But that fact, you asked a very great question IMO, id like to answer it. And it may be more info than you think.

Actually, I'm honored when people take the time to create detailed responses and share their thoughts. Thank you!

dB

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3003858 08/18/19 06:44 PM
DavidFord Offline
MIne, too!!! Almost makes it harder sometimes - all I have to do is go upstairs. rolleyes facepalm

HAHAHA. Weve all had those moments.

Actually, I'm honored when people take the time to create detailed responses and share their thoughts. Thank you!

I thought the question was a great one. Just didnt want to come off as rambling, which I do sometimes. My head is complex sometimes for my own good. I would like for it too be simple sometimes. Prob never happen. Tom Scholtz from "Boston" was the same way. Its why it took him so long to complete an album. grin

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: DavidFord] #3004629 08/23/19 03:08 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Tom Scholtz from "Boston" was the same way. Its why it took him so long to complete an album. grin

yeah, but they turned out pretty good. smile cool

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3004639 08/23/19 05:12 AM
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
10k Club
I have a home studio but I don't consider it "the studio". I use it frequently to share ideas and further the writing process, but at the end of the day, it's a whole other set of circumstances that bring us to the studio. Basically we all have to feel like the songs are "ready". Not sure exactly how to define what "ready" is, other than we all feel like it is.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: davedoerfler] #3004684 08/23/19 03:17 PM
DavidFord Offline
yeah, but they turned out pretty good. smile cool

Damn skippy they are! For bands with vocals, its a battle between Boston & Van Halen for 1st place for my favorite bands. Of course Satriani is first for me, but Bostons "More Than A Feeling" is my all time favorite song. Has been for years. If I can write a song that sounds like "Boston" im all over it. That Boston "tone" on his Les Paul has plagued for years to recreate LOL. RIP Brad Delp!!

I have a home studio but I don't consider it "the studio". I use it frequently to share ideas and further the writing process, but at the end of the day, it's a whole other set of circumstances that bring us to the studio. Basically we all have to feel like the songs are "ready". Not sure exactly how to define what "ready" is, other than we all feel like it is.

I definitely understand you. I also think "feel like the songs are ready" is was tortures some of us. It definitely does me anyway.

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: DavidFord] #3004827 08/24/19 03:00 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
Bostons "More Than A Feeling" is my all time favorite song. Has been for years.

I’m a fan as well. I wore that record out when it came out in the 70s. More Than a Feeling was one of the first songs I taught myself on guitar.
My current band does a semi-acoustic version of Peace Of Mind. rocker

Their current touring band is pretty great. A buddy of mine was the keyboard tech on the last tour, so I got to check Tom’s rig out up close. The hot Rodded Hammond is way cool...but we’re veering off topic.

I’m getting myself motivated to go into the studio today by reading this thread. grin

dB

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3004897 08/25/19 02:39 AM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
What does it take? idk

Do you need to have an idea already? Do you need to schedule a specific time/book a seesion? Or maybe get a new piece of gear? See/hear something online like a gear review, or a recording tip that you want to try? Something else?

For me, it's a combination of the above....buyt there's rarely anything that gets be to fire the toys up like having an idea that just has to be explored. cool

dB

a good nights sleep. Plus really strong coffee.

And an open schedule 3-5 hours.
No interruptions, no hosuehold tasks, errands, etc etc.

The Deck has Been Cleared.

I start chord noodling . Then there is something else I have been stewing
over, could be women, or health, or some minor hassle, etc etc.

Muse Shows Up. It says " lets get to work and take care of it ".

And the song train chugs out of the station, on no exact path

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3004905 08/25/19 04:56 AM
J. Dan Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Maybe a better question... how do you get yourself OUT of the studio?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: DavidFord] #3005457 08/28/19 04:35 AM
Polychrest Offline
Getting into the studio isn't my biggest problem. Most days it's where I work on my chops, practice older material and try to compose compose new stuff--simple recreational escapism. I usually leave the session buzzed and refreshed. My studio aversion cuts in when it's time to turn on the red light and record something I've worked up. Then it becomes stressful and enervating--a classic case of performance anxiety. The only solution is to plow ahead and throw down some takes. At some point, if I'm lucky, paralyzing self-consciousness and inhibition is elbowed out of the way by the elusive muse that GregC talks about above and the music takes command of my brain. I find inspiration and start to perform, but It's painstaking, tiring, irritating work. Not fun at all. But if I manage to lay down something I sense is good, the germ of a catchy melody or a compulsive groove, a competent vocal take or a couple of satisfying licks....well, that's what gets me back into the studio the next day: something solid to build on. But the memory of the struggle to get there lingers. And if all I've produced is crap to my ears....then the cycle begins anew.

"That's another thing that bugs me, the naysayers who say the music sucked. Come on, you ever been to a gig? The only time it's perfect is when it's on hard drive."
--Lefsetz on Woodstock
Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3006096 09/02/19 04:54 AM
Bill Heins Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
How do I get myself in the studio? I walk up the stairs wink Seriously part of the musicianship equation for me is composition...perhaps larger than technique wink Don't learn the instrument, learn music and use the instrument as a tool to get the music inside you out! This is gonna sound crazy but there is not one piece of music that I know...everything I learned as far as repertoire is gone...not real important to learn music that's finished, important to finish music that isn't done!

Bill

Re: How do you get yourself into the studio? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3006160 09/02/19 07:31 PM
GuardiansGuitar Offline
My "get in the studio" process, for whatever it's worth...

[1] Get Idea/Don't Forget Idea: Not an original technique by any means, but if I am noodling around and something good starts to form, I record it into my phone for retrieval at a later date. My phone has become my demo studio. Sometimes, I'll be playing a track recorded in a studio in my car, and I'll be singing along until I get a possibly usable melody, and then I'll record THAT on the phone, as well. Constant idea sourcing.

[2] No Such Things As Demos Anymore, Right?: I may expand on a "phone idea" in my office desktop studio — a laptop, preamp/interface, and powered monitor speakers — or I'll simply start playing stuff until a song forms, and then track it down to a click. In any case, the good, homegrown tracks will form the final master recording. I haven't done a "demo" in like 20 years. Thank you, recording technology!

[3] The Ping/Pong Tracking Exercise: If I record drums or other tracks in a commercial studio, I will bring a stereo mix back home and add tracks in my office studio. Then, I will email the WAV files back to the studio so that the engineer can incorporate my homegrown recordings into the master recording. Gotta love all the studio costs I can save here, while still availing myself of a great room and a fabulous engineer for basics.

Bottom line is I need SOMETHING to trigger my imagination before I press RECORD.

Moderated by  robmix