Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMMticipation 2020

As most of you know, the 2020 Winter NAMM Show will begin Thursday, January 16th at the Anaheim Convention Center, and run through Sunday, the 19th. Like last year, there are three threads: 1) an advance thread for rumors, speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements, or "NAMMticipation" as I like to call it, 2) an advance thread for planning: how to get passes, when and where to meet up with other forum members, etc., and 3) the traditional NAMM Reports thread for product announcements, videos, and reports from members on what and who they saw at the Convention Center.

This, of course, is the rumors, speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements thread. Feel free to post anything of that nature below.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A wish: a non piano-weighted version of the MODX8. I love my MODX7 to bits, but would totally plonk down the cash for a MODX8 with lighter keys. Would probably sell me Kronos LE 88 even though it's obviously a much deeper board in a lot of ways.

Heard something about a new Roland synth in the grapevine.
I spoke with someone at Gearfest regarding the lack of a Roland flagship board since the Jupiter-80. I also mentioned that it would be cool to have a keyboard version of an Integra-7. My Roland 'wish list' keyboard would be an RD-2000 with a built-in Integra 7. Unlike the previous year, I left that conversation feeling guardedly hopeful/optimistic.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I heard that Fleetwood Mac teamed up with to introduce a VSTi called "Rumours" which will include all synth and keys sounds from the namesake album, plus expansion packs for the song "Rumors" by Timex Social Club, "Rumor" by Lee Brice, and "Rumor Has It" as recorded by Adele, Clay Walker, Donna Summer, and Reba McEntire.

I agree that Roland is due for a flagship update. I just haven't seen enough meaningful signal from the rumor mill to distinguish a collective feeling that there should be something in the works from something actually happening. Still, with Roland being quite visibly invested in MIDI 2.0, I can see launching an ambitious monster as a great way to re-establish some leadership in synth innovation. If it builds on ACB modeling and the Integra-7 style SuperNatural in a single unit I'd be intrigued. Doubly so if it had a great poly aftertouch action (but then I'd take a long hard look at anyone who checks that particular box.)

Prior to NAMM we'll almost certainly see what Sequential has up their collective sleeve. This past NAMM they set the expectation that they'd unveil something new this summer. Even if it's taking a little longer than expected, we should see something in the next month or two.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I agree that Roland is due for a flagship update. I just haven't seen enough meaningful signal from the rumor mill to distinguish a collective feeling that there should be something in the works from something actually happening. Still, with Roland being quite visibly invested in MIDI 2.0, I can see launching an ambitious monster as a great way to re-establish some leadership in synth innovation. If it builds on ACB modeling and the Integra-7 style SuperNatural in a single unit I'd be intrigued. Doubly so if it had a great poly aftertouch action (but then I'd take a long hard look at anyone who checks that particular box.)

Prior to NAMM we'll almost certainly see what Sequential has up their collective sleeve. This past NAMM they set the expectation that they'd unveil something new this summer. Even if it's taking a little longer than expected, we should see something in the next month or two.

My dream Roland next step would be for them to yes, integrate ACB/DCB with their Integra engine and sampleset in a full, solid workstation. It would be a kind of 'roll your own Roland Classic Synth,' with access to all the existing models of filters and oscillators to mix and match, such as they"ve started to evolve the System 8 towards.

Then you could mix those results with anything in Integra (or nothing) you"d like.

With the full suite of COSM models, to boot, and Roland"s wide array of tasty and very flexible effects.

This could be a real capstone of the company"s efforts the past decade.

OTOH Roland is always full of surprises, so it might be something else entirely! The remainder of the System 100/700 modules in their System 500 series; more Boutiques; something entirely new!

Will be fun to see, in any event. Just hope they don"t ship it right into a global recession, which seems to be their luck sometimes.

Behringer announces a future Fairlight CMI clone complete with monochrome green screen monitor for $499.99.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Nord Lead.

No, seriously, Clavia introduced new models for all the products but the NL4/NL A1; it is not clear if they want to continue the game,

but if they do, it may happens this time (if they had time from all the bug fixing in the NS3).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Nord Lead.

No, seriously, Clavia introduced new models for all the products but the NL4/NL A1; it is not clear if they want to continue the game,

but if they do, it may happens this time (if they had time from all the bug fixing in the NS3).

Maurizio

What I'd like: A Nord Wave successor. VA that can use Nord's samples in its oscillators.

What I expect: another stage piano.

Cheers, Mike

Of course Roland also has a history of announcements on 9/9, but have any of them been for professional keys?

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

+1 for new Roland flagship. 76 keys with aftertouch, please, and some velvety Roland goodness.

Whaddayaknow?!? 12 hours later, my wish has been granted!

Wow, how did you do that? That was quick! Good job!!!

After seeing how Roland abandoned the Fantom G, if I was interested I'd wait 12-18 months to see what kind of support/OS updates they offer.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

And here it is. With the recent announcements of all the new Roland gear, the new Hydrasynth, and now a new synth from Modal Electronics, it seems companies don"t want to wait until January NAMM. Is NAMM becoming less important? Will other keyboard companies do the same?

And here it is. With the recent announcements of all the new Roland gear, the new Hydrasynth, and now a new synth from Modal Electronics, it seems companies don"t want to wait until January NAMM. Is NAMM becoming less important? Will other keyboard companies do the same?

I think trade shows are less important every year. They only exist because of human relationship, I think. Many industries have their major announcements outside the show window - it is too crowded. Your message is lost in a feed of hundreds of vendors. Its not like Roland needs a lot of "press coverage". Free enthusiasts sites get the word out to everyone who cares within hours. Better to spend on social media "influencers" than show journalists.... The world has changed.

• 1 month later...

How about a wish list? I'd like to see a decent quality semi-weighted controller (61 keys minimum, no diving boards) with MIDI & Bluetooth, 9 buttons & sliders, panel transpose, pitch & mod wheels, two pedal jacks, powered by any user option of AC, USB & Batteries.

Here for the gear.

How about a wish list? I'd like to see a decent quality semi-weighted controller (61 keys minimum, no diving boards) with MIDI & Bluetooth, 9 buttons & sliders, panel transpose, pitch & mod wheels, two pedal jacks, powered by any user option of AC, USB & Batteries.

Is this one close enough for you? : https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab-mkii/overview

Is this one close enough for you? : https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab-mkii/overview

er.... well, not quite. :wink: This has diving board keys, no Bluetooth, no battery power. I like Arturia though, I have a MKII 88.

Here for the gear.