Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Corner Winter NAMM 2020 Reports

Geoff Grace

As most of you know, the 2020 Winter NAMM Show will begin Thursday, January 16th at the Anaheim Convention Center, and run through Sunday, the 19th. Like last year, there are three threads: 1) an advance thread for rumors, speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements, or "NAMMticipation" as I like to call it, 2) an advance thread for planning: how to get passes, when and where to meet up with other forum members, etc., and 3) the traditional NAMM Reports thread for product announcements, videos, and reports from members on what and who they saw at the Convention Center.

This, of course, is the traditional NAMM Reports thread.

Please post your Winter NAMM 2020 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss NAMM announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I don't expect much activity in this thread until January.

Nonetheless, I wanted a link to this thread (and the planning thread) to appear in the opening post of the NAMMticipation thread; and since there's demand for that thread now and I won't be able to edit the opening post of it later, I created all three NAMM threads mentioned in the opening post at the same time. That way, they all link to each other for easy reference.

Best,

Geoff

• 4 months later...
Okay, one little tidbit, there will be an update to Camelot Pro that will support routing VST instruments into effects.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And to add to Scotts tidbit - and still on Camelot Pro, they are to add a music player module to the app. So a user can also load in a WAV (I think) or MP3 (certain) file within the project so that is also recalled when the project is recalled. Expected announcement will be at NAMM.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Another from Korg... XE20

https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/xe20/index.php

88 keys, 25 lbs, German and Italian pianos, lots of other sounds, probably above average speakers (18 w/ch), Line in and out, arranger/accompaniment functions, split/layer of up to 4 parts total (3 upper, 1 lower), dedicated transpose buttons, multitrack recorder. Shortcomings: No 5-pin MIDI connectors, only 1 pedal jack (so you get damper or expression, but not both), only 4 front panel patch select buttons (though apparently 10 customizable banks of what sounds those 4 buttons can call up). Hopefully it is flexible in what you can call up via MIDI Program Change.

ETA: apparently an 88-key version of the existing EK-50

d75cf30dd704a9a779b95cfd9174f6f4-pc.jpg

784dcde5e92e663388883edd29d29145-pc.png

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

A harmonica as a MIDI controller...

http://www.lekholminstruments.com/

The human voice as a MIDI controller...

https://www.vochlea.co.uk/

I think we are now only missing a MIDI controller for our very thoughts and dreams.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Haven't seen anything Kurzweil yet. Really was expecting a PC461. Weren't you?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Haven't seen anything Kurzweil yet. Really was expecting a PC461. Weren't you?

No, that would have been a huge surprise. No-one knows if a PC4-61 and/or -76 is even planned.

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.

I dug the Wavestate and RD-88. The Wavestate did give me some of that Wavestation vibe I like, just wish it had more keys.

The RD-88"s height is substantial, the photos didn"t really show that, but I like the way it plays; it definitely punches above its weight. I got some time with the Fantom 7 and instantly connected with it. It does still feel like it"s in beta, though. Roland also had some kind of designer digital grand with a big touch screen.

Most fun I had today was with the Waves Ovox plugin. Vocoder/talkbox stuff with imperceptible latency. I"ve been using the MDE talkbox, which isn"t bad but the latency makes it unusable at tempo. This is on my to-buy shortlist.

Oddest thing I saw was in the 88 lounge, an acoustic piano (Hailun) with smaller size keys for people with smaller hands. It was really weird to play.

Finally got to play the Novation Summit, and it"s about what I expected, pretty good. Surprise hit for me was the UDO synth I mentioned earlier.

Ran into Markyboard at Yamaha, where I briefly tried the new Electro rival. Couldn"t really hear it well, because there was some baritone sax madness going on right behind me, but I was reminded how much I like the CP88/73.

I didn't get to check Kurz and Nord, maybe Sunday.

I dug the Wavestate and RD-88. The Wavestate did give me some of that Wavestation vibe I like, just wish it had more keys.

The RD-88"s height is substantial, the photos didn"t really show that, but I like the way it plays; it definitely punches above its weight. I got some time with the Fantom 7 and instantly connected with it. It does still feel like it"s in beta, though. Roland also had some kind of designer digital grand with a big touch screen.

Most fun I had today was with the Waves Ovox plugin. Vocoder/talkbox stuff with imperceptible latency. I"ve been using the MDE talkbox, which isn"t bad but the latency makes it unusable at tempo. This is on my to-buy shortlist.

Oddest thing I saw was in the 88 lounge, an acoustic piano (Hailun) with smaller size keys for people with smaller hands. It was really weird to play.

Finally got to play the Novation Summit, and it"s about what I expected, pretty good. Surprise hit for me was the UDO synth I mentioned earlier.

Ran into Markyboard at Yamaha, where I briefly tried the new Electro rival. Couldn"t really hear it well, because there was some baritone sax madness going on right behind me, but I was reminded how much I like the CP88/73.

I didn't get to check Kurz and Nord, maybe Sunday.

Thanks, zephonic, for your report!

Best,

Geoff

WaveState Rack is a must.

Solaris Rack is a must.

I"ve been whining about clones here but must admit the 2600 is a fabulous clone.

It really has that old big sound.

This clone makes the originals, if they still function, unnecessary.

I can handle clones that sound like the old beasts.

Every other clone, even my HX-3 are OK but never have the same presence.

This Dog will hunt.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Here's the link:

Waves | OVox Vocal ReSynthesis

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

Like Zephonic I was really impressed with the Wavestate. Although far from new I had a blast playing with Omnispehere, not least because they had a bunch of boards hooked up to it from an Andromeda through to a Prophet 12 etc.

WatchIng the Richard Devine live demo of the new ARP was a big highlight as well :thu:

It's great to see a NAMM report from you, David. I hope you're enjoying your visit to the US! :wave:

Best,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff having an absolute ball âºï¸

VI Labs have released Modern U, a deeply sampled studio upright piano:
I sure do like JT Thomas's playing in that example. And on the web site, Ruslan Sirota's "A Lifetime Away" is frickin' beautiful!

VI Labs have released Modern U, a deeply sampled studio upright piano:
I sure do like JT Thomas's playing in that example. And on the web site, Ruslan Sirota's "A Lifetime Away" is frickin' beautiful!

I agree. I also really enjoyed your "Shuffle Boogie" from that webpage, Steve! Nice work. :cool:

Best,

Geoff