Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Minor Scale and Backing Track #3006029 09/01/19 07:23 PM
Larryz Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Playing around on YouTube, I ran across this clip and thought I would post it for those that are learning their scales seeking to learn some improvisation concepts. It is a pretty cool presentation of the Aminor Aeolian Scale and the Aminor Pentatonic Scale chart with a backing track. It shows the octave and interval pattern correlation using both scales. (I like to add the b5 between the 4 and 5 to my Pentatonic scales). The author posts a lot of minor scales with charts and backing tracks if you search on his name. They are all the same scale just using different starting points for the key you wish to play in...

Here's the same Aminor scale being used to play over a Cmajor chord pattern

Or, how about moving the same pattern(s) and intervals up to Dminor @ 0:53 to play a little jazz?

Have fun with it! cool

Take care, Larryz
GP Island
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006053 09/01/19 10:42 PM
desertbluesman Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Way cool Larryz, I use the same scenario when playing over certain progressions, in other words, I play an A minor tune using A minor pentatonic and mix in the full Aeolian (Natural Minor) scale when needed for effect. When I play over a country tune I use the same A Minor (and Pentatonic) scale only it is called C Major (Ionian) (and Pentatonic) against a C progression. (Thank you to the late Emily Remler for hipping me to the modes, and how to apply them)

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006079 09/02/19 02:27 AM
Larryz Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Thanks DBM, After reading many of your posts on this subject in the past, I knew we were on the same page. Until now I couldn't find a good chart on YouTube to show what we were both describing. I hope this helps some of the players out there with their improvisation scale work using the Aeolian and Pentatonic Minor scales interchangeably. The pattern in this scale will open the door to all the others. I hope they will grab their guitar and put on these YT clips and play what comes from the heart and to their ear...the intervals on the chart will help players remember certain sounds that can referred back to and will help with chord study as well. cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006162 09/02/19 07:55 PM
desertbluesman Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
@Larryz cheers

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006290 09/03/19 03:48 PM
Larryz Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
OK, so I got my acoustic guitar out just now and played along with the charts and backing track(s) again using my lap top...and a few of thoughts came to mind. 1). playing in 3 different genres in major and minor keys, gave me some new ideas and ear training while zeroing in on the intervals. 2). playing with a band (instead of a metronome) makes practice a lot more fun and interesting while working on my timing. 3). I would change the b6 on the chart to a #5, as that's an important sound and a better way of remembering it for augmenting chords, etc. IMHO. 4). my next step is to plug this lap top into my amp/pa to make things more fun and really improve the sound while playing over the 3 backing tracks using my electric guitars. 5). might as well record these 3 tracks on my looper and be ready to call them up any time for practice without needing to use the lap top again until I want to stare at the charts some more...and then it's back to my acoustic LOL! cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006350 09/03/19 08:22 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club

Cool. cool

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3006411 09/04/19 02:49 AM
Larryz Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
thu

Take care, Larryz
Re: A Minor Scale and Backing Track [Re: Larryz] #3007162 09/08/19 08:58 PM
Larryz Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Update: I recorded the 3 YouTube backing tracks on 3 separate loops on my Digitec looper and they came out great at just the right volumes for playback on my Roland Cube Street EX4. Hard to believe how much better the YouTube clips sound when using the bigger speakers and amp adjustments, than just using the lap top speakers. I played along with them one at a time which takes a total of 25 minutes max for all 3. A great way to start a practice and review session. Lots of fun and I'm already hearing some new improvisational licks along the way. My new Conti guitar sounded great playing over the tracks and I made some nice adjustments on it for tone and volume while playing along as well... cool

Last edited by Larryz; 09/08/19 09:03 PM.

Take care, Larryz

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose