Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(3) 1/4" Plugs to 8-Pin Adapter (for Roland pedals)

I'm wondering is this gizmo exists...

As shown in this image, I'm looking to see if I can connect a standalone Roland RPU-3 3-pedal board (with 3 1/4" plugs as output) to the multi-pin "Pedal 2" input of my Roland FP-30 piano -- without using Roland's separate keyboard stand (KSC-70) and the large "home" pedal unit (KPD-70) which have the correct multi-pin plugs the FP-30 needs:

OykL5NK.jpg

It's not just the cost of those 2 items; as I have a Mojo 61 and Yamaha MX49 stacked over the piano and have 3 pedals for the organ and 1 (sustain) for the synth. There's no room for the larger pedal board and I have no use for the stand...

I've emailed Roland support, but in case they have nothing to offer...

* Any thoughts or ideas?

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No adapters exist? No problem!

Here is what I did...

* I bought the larger KPD-70 pedal unit for less than half of what Roland's standalone unit (RPU-3) sells for online.

* Put it in my chop saw and cut off the ends, then secured it to an 1/8" ABS plastic panel that slides under my Apex AX-48 stand.

* Then I cut small pieces off the cut-off ends to fill the ends of each block, as they were open originally, and touched up the black paint.

So now I've got the complete 3-pedal unit for my Roland and it fits securely right where I want it.

Below are the before and after images.

Old No7

rGqZ6Zz.jpg

AJxp0Dv.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

You'd have to know the wiring schematic. Call Roland tech support and see if they can send you a wiring schematic for the plug then you can make an adapter.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You'd have to know the wiring schematic. Call Roland tech support and see if...

Roland's Customer Service, Technical Support and Parts/Service lines were all no help to me, as each one said to call the other and....

But the best part is, the KPD-70 that I cut down has the 7-pin plug on it, so it works like a charm!

So without Roland's support, I saved $70 by doing it myself.

Old No7

• 5 months later...

Hello

Could someone of you guys help me with the wiring schematic of these pedals? I'm applying Roland FP-30 to the case of acoustic piano, and I try to use existing pedals to activate sustain and soft. Sustain does work perfectly, but i can't find how does soft behave. Could you maybe help me? I'll tell what to do, what I exactly need to know.

Best regards

As noted above, I got "no help" when I contacted Roland for assistance, so I went with fix I came up with... Which actually cost me less in the long run.

If you're using only 1 pedal, sustain is all you'll get. And their 3-pedal unit (RPU-3) will need those plugs converted -- but which plug goes to "what" pin? No idea...

If you have an FP-30, then you might want to consider the modification I did to their KPD-70 pedal unit, which is supposed to fit into the FP-30's stand for home use. Above you'll see how I cut it down, blocked the ends (painted black) and then mounted it to a 1/8" thick ABS sheet that tucks under my 3-tier keyboard stand.

With 4 pedals for the Mojo 61 and Yamaha MX61 (volume and sustain for each) -- and also the MojoPedals on the left -- I now have some serious "Pedalmania" going on with the e-piano pedals in the middle, but it does what I want it to do and works well.

Good luck.

Old No7

etP2VMh.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hi, really glad to see what you did with the three pedal set-up. I had just bought an FP30 and saw your posting. Just bought the kpd-70 and cut it down like you did, bought a ABS plastic just like you show. I am

trying to figure out the best way to secure the pedal onto the plastic. I would appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks

Paul

hi, really glad to see what you did with the three pedal set-up. I had just bought an FP30 and saw your posting. Just bought the kpd-70 and cut it down like you did, bought a ABS plastic just like you show. I am

trying to figure out the best way to secure the pedal onto the plastic. I would appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks

Paul

Under each of the three silver piano pedals, is a small black "foot" (for lack of a better word) that contacts the floor or base. Under the end of each foot there's a rubber pad secured with a screw. I removed the 3 screws, removed the pads, and then aligned the pedal unit on the ABS sheet where I wanted it and carefully marked where 3 holes needed to be drilled. Once the 3 holes were drilled, working from the bottom of the sheet -- the 3 screws go up through the rubber pads, through the ABS sheet, and then into the foot -- sandwiching the sheet between the foot and the pad. No extra hardware was needed, other than one small cable clamp I used to secure the cord to the unit and a zip-tie to secure the slack in the cord.

It's worked well that way for many weeks, but I just noticed yesterday that heavy downward pressure on the pedals (when I get to rockin', that is!) is slightly rockin' (pun intended) the back end of the unit off the sheet (as it's attached at the front, under the feet). That could be because of the good carpet and pad in that room, which allows the plastic sheet to flex some. That would not be an issue on a hard floor though. Anyway, I'll mark some new holes and drill up into the back end of the wooden box that houses the pedals and all will be well.

I didn't take any new pictures, as I think the pictures above and this explanation will be enough to guide you.

Old No7

• 2 years later...

I'm in the process of creating a schematics for both pedals.  Parts should be here in a few days for the adapter, There are questions i can only answer thru experiment when i have the parts  but Im close, Ill keep y'all posted . I tried out the KPD-70 on my FP-30x. and I must say for us piano players it very cool.   I can't believe half damping and tripedals have not been standard , ill check back in when i have at least confirmed the schematic and when totally operational ill explain construction a bit ,

1 minute ago, John Philip Shenale said:

I'm in the process of creating a schematics for both pedals.  Parts should be here in a few days for the adapter, There are questions i can only answer thru experiment when i have the parts  but Im close, Ill keep y'all posted . I tried out the KPD-70 on my FP-30x. and I must say for us piano players it very cool.   I can't believe half damping and tripedals have not been standard , ill check back in when i have at least confirmed the schematic and when totally operational ill explain construction a bit ,

BTW all three pedals use pots !!!! and are identical

Thanks for the update on this older post (gosh, was it really that long ago?).

That FP-30 is long gone here -- replaced by an RD-88 stage piano; only 1 pedal (sustain), but 1,000s of sounds.

Old No7

• 7 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, Old No7 said:

I'm wondering is this gizmo exists...

As shown in this image, I'm looking to see if I can connect a standalone Roland RPU-3 3-pedal board (with 3 1/4" plugs as output) to the multi-pin "Pedal 2" input of my Roland FP-30 piano -- without using Roland's separate keyboard stand (KSC-70) and the large "home" pedal unit (KPD-70) which have the correct multi-pin plugs the FP-30 needs:

OykL5NK.jpg

It's not just the cost of those 2 items; as I have a Mojo 61 and Yamaha MX49 stacked over the piano and have 3 pedals for the organ and 1 (sustain) for the synth. There's no room for the larger pedal board and I have no use for the stand...

I've emailed Roland support, but in case they have nothing to offer...

* Any thoughts or ideas?

Old No7

I've got a service manual of FP-30_KSC-70 and there are a pedal board circuit diagram... 

https://www.docdroid.net/ptgwaKy/fp-30-ksc-70-pdf#page=46

• 2 months later...