Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Infamous Red PX-5S Getting New Clothes UPDATE

It's been about 5 and a half years since I transformed my PX-5S to Red.

That was back when I was still developing techniques for painting the plastic. The paint job has help up very well. It has some scratches from 5 years of use.

Now that I have improved my techniques and found new paints, it is time to update the board.

And so it begins.

First, remove the end caps.

JJVE6s.jpg

Next, remove the access hatches..... like the inspections panels under my plane's wings :)

This is how you access one row of screws that hold down the control panels

qWaweY.jpg

Remove row of screws at back, and carefully lift and lay back the 3 panels.

GUpyB9.jpg

Disconnect ribbon cable from circuit board, and plug that goes to battery compartment, and everything is separated.

OFzqTY.jpg

Remove the circuit boards. There are two levels of boards. Keep the top level boards together, and keep the lower boards together. There's one

wire harness that connects the upper and lower. Remove that. Set the boards aside.

jIhmqm.jpg

O1F429.jpg

Now we have to remove all the buttons and knob, as well as the little lenses that the LED's shine thru.

8ULLYd.jpg

Some of the eleventy-billion screws. Yes I know where they all go. The little clear plastic things are the light lenses.

Jm2H8n.jpg

Now that it's tomorrow, once I'm functional, it will be time to clean, scuff, and clean the surfaces.

Till next installment.....

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always watch these projects in awe, because if I ever tried this it would end up cheaper for me to find a stranger in the street, hand them $1000, and walk away, since at least then I'd still have a working keyboard afterward.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Here's a sneak preview after the first coat.

I used the Rustoleum All In One for Plastics this time The color is called "Oil Rubbed Bronze" It give me that metal look that I really like.

I need to let everything dry for a few hours. I need to wet sand a couple panels; apparently I didn't get all the oil/dirt off, and the paint crazed a bit. It happens.

Worse come to worse, I little spray down with CRC Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner will take the pain off and not even touch the plastic.

Here's the preview:

BtlFPR.jpg

SGEvLv.jpg

Here's the bad area; around the volume knob hole. I guess 5 years of resting my palm there when playing..... You can see where the paint didn't play nicely.

I like to show these things in my projects to show that it's not all perfect the first time.

xiKyHZ.jpg

David

darn I was hoping for something like a Dark Purple then get someone to paint to off-white pinstripes and art on the edges.

Or really be cool use that new Vantablack that absorbs light so no reflects and details of shape disappear. BMW is coming out with a car in VantaBlack.

vantablack youtube:

As someone, who many moons ago learnt the hard way to follow the discipline of Prepsol on car panels, especially around door handles, before refinishing I admire your dedication to getting it just right David.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I always watch these projects in awe, because if I ever tried this it would end up cheaper for me to find a stranger in the street, hand them $1000, and walk away, since at least then I'd still have a working keyboard afterward.
Dude, the instant I open up one of my pieces of musical equipment, we"re on a one-way trip to disappointment and regret.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

darn I was hoping for something like a Dark Purple then get someone to paint to off-white pinstripes and art on the edges.

Cool thought. I already have my 'Plum Crazy' M50-61 with the racing stripe and 8 ball shift know on the joy stick.

Between that, my 'anodized' blue VR-09, my 'Brushed aluminum red Vortex Wireless 2 and Hammered Copper Vortex, I"m going for subdued this time :)

David

Looks great. Look forward to seeing it finished and back together.

How hard wearing are the finishes? Do they take the normal knocks of moving from case to stand and back again? I have a vortex (the original wireless one) and would love to give it a paint job like you but concerned the finish wouldn't last.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

...Are you done yet? Are you done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Want me to smack him for ya Dave? :rolleyes::D:cheers:

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I'm back to ask if it's done yet!

The initial pics look great! I used that color to paint some sconces for my recessed lights in the music room (ceiling is painted dark bronze). It's a very nice and soothing color.

It is done yet?

:wave:

Progress report

Putting the buttons and pcb boards back in

L5pCts.jpg

This part takes a bit. Those tiny clear plastic lenses do not like to be reseated

vtkIEX.jpg

Boards all in and connected. Let's plug it in to make sure it works before proceeding

Hey Look....it powers on. Yay!

4V3sls.jpg

Reconnecting the keyboard

JxyuoD.jpg

Before permanently closing it up, I power it up once again, and run thru all the buttons and knobs.

I then get my Macbook and run Midi Monitor and make sure all notes and any button, slider, and wheel that sends MIDI is sending MIDI.

I did find one issue: The unit was sending constant pitch bend. Close inspection showed I caught something on the wheel when I reassembled them to the panel. Two screws, remove, replace. All is well. This is why you test!

Finally I plug in my ears to make sure the PX-5S actually makes sound........ after I remember to turn Local back on :)

Everything works, and I close it up

Here it is! I still have two areas to fix, but they can be fixed without tear down....and I have a gig in a couple days. I've already plugged MIDI din into the MODX6, and everything is good.

Yes, I still have to glue down sections of the dark blue strip. There are also some places I will take a small brush and touch up..some screw head showing red, etc..

2pbjYl.jpg

It's very hard to see the cool color, even with every light on. I'll get a stage picture this week.

In the meantime, here's a closeup of part of the rear panel to show how the color takes on that subtle antique bronze look.

amGzlO.jpg

David

It looks beautiful. And I admire and learn from your detailed process, especially of checking things before buttoning everything up.

Having had to open up and get deeply into my Kronos more times that can I care to admit, I can speak from experience of the frustration of how many screws and things you need to put back in, only to find out you need to open it up again to do something else.

Cheers to you!

Jerry

It looks beautiful. And I admire and learn from your detailed process, especially of checking things before buttoning everything up.

Having had to open up and get deeply into my Kronos more times that can I care to admit, I can speak from experience of the frustration of how many screws and things you need to put back in, only to find out you need to open it up again to do something else.

Cheers to you!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. It is a constant learning process, and the manner in which I do these things is ever evolving. My very first project, my old M50-61. I had to reopen it twice. Once to realign the touch screen. And once more to plug it back into the circuit board :D

Then my Corvette yellow PX350 where I grabbed the wrong type of paint for the black stripes and ended up with a mess. That's where I learned about non-chlorinated brake cleaner...used sparingly to remove paint.

Then discovering the awesome DupliColor Metalcast paints that are plastic safe and gave me that brushed aluminum look on my Vortex Wireless 2. Yes, I had to do some test runs,

My love of crafting actually comes from resto-modding old muscle cars. Document every part and take picture before removing.. Etc..etc..

David