Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixer Question: Key Largo or Yamaha MGO6

So, currently, I have the Key Largo. I run 2 boards into it, mono. I use the monitor out for my personal wedge (evZlx). Actually, I just received a rolls pm55p (headphone amp) and Shure 215 IEMs. The monitor out, now, goes from the keylargo into the rolls (instead of my wedge) and then I send 1 XLR out to FOH from key largo.

With the key largo, I can't do my own vocals (no XLR ins). That needs to come from FOH.

Rather than the key largo, could I get a yamaha MG06 and put my 2 keyboards into the 1/4 inch mono (left) inputs and put my mic into right XLR input and then send the left xlr to FOH for my keys. So, I would be able to create my own mix on the MG06 to go into my Rolls/IEMs and whoever is working the board can adjust my mic/keys separately via the XLRs I'm sending?

That way I get more functionality than I would from the key largo (which can't do my vocals), and I could sell it, buy the more affordable MG06, and have a few bucks left over?

Am I missing something?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don"t think this will work, because when you plug your keys into only left channels, the MG06 will 'think' you are mono, so it will send you keys to xlr left and right I think.

I understand the need for adjusting your mix, but I would just keep the KL, send the vocal seperately and get the vocal back together with the band mix. This is how i do it, but I don"t sing lead. Only backing.

Rudy

I agree that this solution doesn"t sound optimal to me. For one thing, you are losing stereo on keyboards (if you desire).

OTOH, if controlling your own mic mix in the monitor is your goal, then I don"t see how that is accomplished on the KL. Don"t you get the same mix on the monitor and main outputs? So if he brought the mic/band mix back to channel 3 of the KL, that would be remixed back into the mains, right? It"s possible that I"m not understanding the KL properly. I guess you could use the FX send to feed the monitor, but is that stereo?

Another idea is to buy something slightly more capable than the MG06, e.g. the Soundcraft Notepad-8FX. It has a stereo aux send (TRS out) that you could feed a monitor with and put the mic feed from FOH to one channel and control independently for the monitor mix from the main mix. It"s slightly larger and $50 more than MG-06 but you get more channels and simple FX, I use the Notepad-12FX for my duo and have been happy with the quality for the price.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I don't really understand why people want to run their vocal mic thru their keyboard mixer when keys also go to FOH .

Yes, that doesn't work so well for FOH. Instead, you can get your vocals back from the FOH feed, but then you can't independently adjust the volume of your vocals for your IEMs. I don't sing, so I don't know if that's a problem. Or, I guess you can do something a little more complicated to send independent feeds of vocals and keys to FOH and separately to a mixer for the IEMs.

The Rolls PM351 gets this right. Separate send for vocals and keys (DI) to FOH with a personal monitor mix of vox vs keys vs aux from desk. It just needs a limiter.

Cheers, Mike

I wanted something with a limiter. That's why I originally got the Pm55p. I wasn't sure how or where to get the limiter

Rather than the key largo, could I get a yamaha MG06 and put my 2 keyboards into the 1/4 inch mono (left) inputs and put my mic into right XLR input and then send the left xlr to FOH for my keys. So, I would be able to create my own mix on the MG06 to go into my Rolls/IEMs and whoever is working the board can adjust my mic/keys separately via the XLRs I'm sending?

I don"t think this will work, because when you plug your keys into only left channels, the MG06 will 'think' you are mono, so it will send you keys to xlr left and right I think.

I'm guessing you could put a dummy 1/4" plug into the right channel inputs, the MG06 will keep your keys' signal in the left channel only then.

So, currently, I have the Key Largo. I run 2 boards into it, mono. I use the monitor out for my personal wedge (evZlx). Actually, I just received a rolls pm55p (headphone amp) and Shure 215 IEMs. The monitor out, now, goes from the keylargo into the rolls (instead of my wedge) and then I send 1 XLR out to FOH from key largo.

With the key largo, I can't do my own vocals (no XLR ins). That needs to come from FOH.

That way I get more functionality than I would from the key largo (which can't do my vocals), and I could sell it, buy the more affordable MG06, and have a few bucks left over?

Am I missing something?

Yes, you"re missing the primary function of your Rolls - to hear your own mic via the pass-through. Run your mic through the Rolls" mic channel, put the monitor out from your KL (which is hard to beat as a sub-$1k keyboard pre) into the TRS channel of the Rolls, and mix to taste for your IEMs.

To me, the best use of that Rolls is as an IEM amp fed by a stereo monitor feed (from FOH or stage monitor mixer) mixed to your taste, and your mic fed straight to FOH mixer or vocal preamps, as I think the pass-through does attenuate the voc mic"s signal a bit. If you"re at the mercy of a venue"s unfamiliar sound crew, you may want to run your mic through the Rolls just in case the sound crew is not giving you what you need, and you need to independently bump your mic up in your IEM mix.

I agree with you that the limiter is a must; my PM351 gets little use these days unless I"m using it as a quick and easy mixer to feed a wedge - works absolutely great for that - you can mix your mic, your keys, and FOH feed to taste without worrying at all about the sound guys.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

I agree with you that the limiter is a must; my PM351 gets little use these days unless I"m using it as a quick and easy mixer to feed a wedge - works absolutely great for that - you can mix your mic, your keys, and FOH feed to taste without worrying at all about the sound guys.

Anyone aware of readily available, limiter for less than about $100?

Anyone aware of readily available, limiter for less than about $100?

New? Not immediately. Used? Tons. Alesis 3630, one of the little dbx boxes... the Behringer Virtualizer sounds like ass, but if you're only using it to protect your ears you can probably find one for $50. And then there's the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor, which can pop up used for around $100-150 and is a dynamite little box.

EDIT: New is still a no go for $100, but you can get an Electro-Harmonix Platform for $175ish... if you're not precious about stereo, any mono compressor/limiter pedal could do the job... hell, you can get a pair of Behringer CL9s, roughly match their settings, and run one per ear, for under $50 total. :D

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music