Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hurricane Dorian

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah damn thing is coming right at me here in Orlando, though granted we won't take the full brunt since it has to go through land to get us.

Irma sucked, could have been much worse though.

Reason #101 that I'd love to get the **** out of this miserable state (I've lived here 48 years total so I'm allowed to complain about it). Don't want to uproot happy and stable kids doing well in school....by the time they are out I'll be pretty old to be going North, but I'll give it a shot anyway :D

Yes..... and know I wasn't trying to make light of the situation.

I have several good friends in the Miami thru Palm Beach area. As well as my dad who live on the west coast in Clearwater.

This stuff is no fun at all.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Mixer coming from Jacksonville, Labled last Wednesday, Fedex hasn't PU. bet its going to get drowned,

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I've lived through two hurricanes and that was back when they merely knocked over trees. Now they often scour the earth. I cringe when they're announced, because even at best, they create a colossal mess. I hope Jim only gets a glancing blow. :shudder:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I'm going with Mixolydian

:laugh: Best wishes, Jim and anyone in the path of this dumb thing.

For some reason I keep thinking about Dorian Gray when I hear that name. My wife keeps telling me, no, we don't want that storm to keep getting younger.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For some reason I keep thinking about Dorian Gray when I hear that name.

Me too. I remember the original movie with Angela Lansbury.

angela_lansbury_dorian_gray.jpg

She played Lawrence Harvey"s manipulative mother in 'The Manchurian Candidate" even though she was only a year older than him.

image-w856.jpg

My folks live in the Melbourne area, so I"m slightly concerned, although I"ve been confident throughout that it would head north toward South Carolina. When is the question.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I live in Palm Bay, adjacent to Melbourne. We've been paying very close attention to the storm, We're boarded up, and have enough food, plus we have enough gas to last 36 hours in our generator if we lose power.

The worst part of this storm for us is the waiting. A friend said that waiting for a hurricane is like being stalked by a turtle.

The latest update has us out of the cone of uncertainty, but we'll probably still get tropical storm force winds.

Everyone needs to pray for the people in Grand Bahama. The storm is still a Cat 4, and has stalled right over them, with the southern eye wall still over land. The airport looks like a lake from the flooding.

I wish it would hurry up and get out of here. I have 2 gigs scheduled this weekend.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Dorian is directly east of us right now. So far, an occasional feeder band squall, but they only last a few minutes.

Hard to believe that the storm is here now, and my job says they'll be open tomorrow morning at 8AM. We don't even know if there will be any damage anywhere, or if the roads will be passable

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Hang in there fellow forumites who might be affected by the hurricane.

I'm glad the hurricane is tracking in a less damaging direction than the earlier models predicted.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Bahamians who were most affected by it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Clearly some people had it very rough indeed, but speaking for central SC, this wasn't squat. Not even a single drop of rain. A few puffs of wind that I would estimate at 20-30 mph. That's it. Very much a non-event, here.

Now...Hurricane Hugo, Hurricane Joaquin...those were hurricanes worthy of the name. Hell, Joaquin didn't even have to make landfall--it did its damage from afar, sending us over 17" of rain in about 30 hours or so. Hugo raged all over the place. Both were serious contenders. And we've had others, but...

Dorian? Whozzat?

They closed the schools and all that jazz. You know it's bad when my kids are looking at me and asking, "Poppa, why are we home? This isn't even as bad as a thunderstorm."

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

That's a double-edged sword, isn't it? It's great that you've had no problems with the storm, but when it doesn't affect you and everything was shut down, it makes some people complacent next time a storm comes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not much damage here in eastern NC for myself - lost power early this morning, got it back mid afternoon, used the generator for essentials in the meantime. But not all were so blessed. Ocracoke Island had worst flooding even the old timers can remember - stated that water rose seven feet in about two hours. Storm went right over the island, so folk had 90 mph winds and higher gusts while trying to stay alive on their roofs if a one story building (above from news stories).

Outer Banks Flooding

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim