Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Spinners/Gladys Knight

I was lucky enough to hear these R&B icons at Tanglewood this week. The Spinners were amazing as always. Not sure if they were all the original members (bass singer looked pretty young). They did all the hits with phenomenal energy like they did 40 years ago. The backing band was very good with the keyboardist (2 MOtif's and a Roland) covering the brass parts well. Then came Gladys; at 75 she had the range, power and style (not to mention charisma) of a young Gladys. Her backing vocalists were incredible, especially the 2 ladies. There were 2 keyboardists, one doing mostly strings (a bit too much, actually) and the musical director playing mostly Nord Stage 3. He was a monster; obvious jazz chops. He covered the R&B great but his fills were right out of Keezer/Sands/Mehldau. Gladys did a medley of American Songbook standards that were re-harmonized a-la Jacob Collier; amazing. I suspect the keyboardist did the rehamonizations. I wish I could have talked to him after the show. Finally, the acoustic piano sound of the NS3 was incredible. First digital piano I have heard that didn't sound like a toy (and I have played pretty much all of them). I've never been fond of Nord piano sounds, having owned a NP myself. I wonder if he was triggering a software piano. Whatever he was playing, I want it! Not that I would ever sound as good as he did!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spinners original singers have passed. They got a few younger guys to fill in over the years. It's a shame the were so underrated.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Spinners original singers have passed. They got a few younger guys to fill in over the years. It's a shame the were so underrated.

I think there's one original member left. They were awesome in the day, in no small part to the ridiculous talent of songwriter and producer Thom Bell.