Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blokas Midihub

Two weeks after I order my meeblip USB-MIDI interface, this is announced.:

https://blokas.io/midihub/

Goal is to ship Jan. 2020

Nice project.

4 physical MIDI I/O equate to 1 USB connector (4 MIDI ports/ 64 channels), so that´s cool for small and mid-sized rigs,-

as long there´s a computer in the ballpark.

I disagree w/ their statement:

"Using the dedicated Editor you can set-up Midihub to process MIDI messages in tons of useful and creative ways and once your presets are stored you can use Midihub completely stand-alone in your computer-less setup"

My experience is,- you have to edit/adjust MIDI setups always, especially in rehearsal situations w/ a complete band and the same way like you have to finetune your patch-levels always,- sometimes during soundcheck in a given venue still.

So, I´d prefer such machine as a desktop module w/ some buttons, a data wheel, a display and software editor in addition.

Preparing the rig and leaving the editor app´s host computer @home is no option when there´s no physical remote controller available.

:)

A.C.

Two weeks after I order my meeblip USB-MIDI interface, this is announced.:

https://blokas.io/midihub/

Goal is to ship Jan. 2020

Nice project.

4 physical MIDI I/O equate to 1 USB connector (4 MIDI ports/ 64 channels), so that´s cool for small and mid-sized rigs,-

as long there´s a computer in the ballpark.

I disagree w/ their statement:

"Using the dedicated Editor you can set-up Midihub to process MIDI messages in tons of useful and creative ways and once your presets are stored you can use Midihub completely stand-alone in your computer-less setup"

My experience is,- you have to edit/adjust MIDI setups always, especially in rehearsal situations w/ a complete band and the same way like you have to finetune your patch-levels always,- sometimes during soundcheck in a given venue still.

So, I´d prefer such machine as a desktop module w/ some buttons, a data wheel, a display and software editor in addition.

Preparing the rig and leaving the editor app´s host computer @home is no option when there´s no physical remote controller available.

:)

A.C.

This is a legit concern. I got the meeblip to use with my iPad, and if the Midihub config cannot be edited in an iPad app, then I'd consider that a liability.

I went through the trouble of learning how to use my Eventide H9 in Expert Mode, so I could access all 10 parameters for whatever algorithm was loaded, in case I needed to do that during sound check or (gasp!) the middle of our set at Psycho Las Vegas a couple of years ago. I didn't want to count on having the time to pull out my iPad to edit the H9.

• 3 years later...

Just got one. Incredible power and ease of use. Exceeds all expectations. A bunch of videos going up recently on YT. 

Most intuitive interface I have ever seen on a musical device configured from laptop.

As. u prolly know: its 5pin 4x4

You build your pipes real time from laptop or Pi, with little blocks like in/out transform arp random scale delay and a ton more. Context help appears as you do. Changes take effect in realtime. You map the parameters to your controller in realtime, just move the knob. Spilt and sum as you like. 

Community is fired up and contributing new features fast...like some kind of dream

https://blokas.io/midihub/docs/

My first little project is to just make a nice arp for DM12 2600 RD-8 and model D, controlled from an A800.  My other options are a Zaquencer or MPC1k, but this looks like a faster path to basic output so I can start fiddling properly :) 

I'll report back :)

But these are available now.....if you send 5pin...I think you want one....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

18 hours ago, uhoh7 said:

It has full host functionality over USB, which I just grasped last night after watching this video, and noticing the USB pipes in addition to 5Pin. 

https://blokas.io/midihub/docs/#input-output:

"MIDI controllers with only USB output can't be connected directly to Midihub, however, they can still be used with Midihub if both are connected via a USB host such as your PC or something like Raspberry Pi, the host then can forward the MIDI data coming from a USB controller to one (or more) Midihub's USB ports."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

https://blokas.io/midihub/docs/#input-output:

"MIDI controllers with only USB output can't be connected directly to Midihub, however, they can still be used with Midihub if both are connected via a USB host such as your PC or something like Raspberry Pi, the host then can forward the MIDI data coming from a USB controller to one (or more) Midihub's USB ports."

My mistake, thank you for that correction, I guess the Zynthian I sent off for may come in handy as a small host...or a phone would work too no?

When I bought it I didn't think it would do USB MIDI at all..for some reason. So I was very happy to see it interact with a DAW. But I agree, if a RasPI can host, why not MIDIhub? 

Sorry for the mis-info, I stand corrected :)

Here is a new user showing some interesting possibilities: