Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a Korg Service Tech in the audience?

My Korg Krome 88 died on a gig several months ago but I haven't had time to deal until now. When booting up it makes it to about an 1/8th of the way and then stops and displays an error message. I've checked internal connections, tried a new power supply, and made sure the micro SD card is securely seated in its socket on the mainboard. A hard reset does not help. I'm fairly certain the problem is contained on the mainboard. I called Korg but they won't talk to a non-dealer/service center which is understandable. Since I'm more than capable of swapping a board out, I want to avoid taking it to a service tech. Two reasons: first, money is tight and second, it looks as good as the day I unpacked it and don't want to take a chance of it getting scratched up, etc. in a shop. I emailed Parts-Is-Parts and was told I could pay in full ($362.00) and then it would take 8 to 12 weeks to get the part. A local repair shop gave me a $550.00 estimate on replacing the mainboard. That's half of what the instrument is worth so that would be crazy to do. I'm hoping someone may have a better solution.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never scene the inside of one of these, but most gear that is a PC inside similar components and maybe some sub-boards. So you sure it's the whole motherboard (mobo) that is bad, it could be memory, storage, or a sub-board and not the whole mobo. Especially if you take it to a repair person don't saying you think it's the mobo because they are going to run with that to drain you wallet as much as they can. If me I'd be going in acting poor musician and say hope it only a stick of RAM or just some dirty contacts I can't afford to fix much more .

Back in my developer days I worked on one of the early programmable lighting consoles. If a customer was to open the console they'd see a plain old Intel mobo and Wacom pad touch controls and drawing fades. A lot of this stuff is real standard parts inside. I remember I laughed my ass off the first time I had to apply update to the Digi/Avid Venue mixing console we had at the church. You boot the board into Update mode and Windows startup screens appear on the display. A $$$ giant live mixing console and it just a basic PC inside.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already been to the Korg Forums and downloaded an image file of the microSD contents and saved that to a new microSD card. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Looking through that forum, it appears this is a common issue with the Krome. Replacing the microSD card seems to have fixed some but not all of the faulty instruments.

I suppose it could be a bad solder joint on the mainboard, so I'll take a look at that next. Just trying to bring this instrument back to life while spending as little as possible since I don't have the extra dollars to pay out.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am