Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Pedal Multi-power supplies that work for keys too?

I would like to improve my "quick deployment cabling-rig", since we often play with other bands and there is not always a lot of time to set up.

Currently, I have a super MacGyvered system consisting of two power supplies bundled together and taped to a small multi-outlet strip.

(Specifically, two Roland power supplies (for a VR-09 and an RD-64), as well as a Boss power supply for my RE20 delay unit).

The various cables are tied together with Velcro. It works, but ain't pretty.

SPECIFICS:

I'm at work not working, but I believe the Roland power supplies are PSB-1U (now replaced by the Roland PSB-120). Internet wisdom say they are 9V DC at 2A (18W), connector is a standard barrel type with center pin negative. Apparently the tip of the plug is 11mm long. The Boss is 12V something.

(NOTE - the VR09 manual says the current draw is only 600 mA (it can run off of batteries), so not sure why a 2A power supply is needed.)

ANYWAY - anyone made such a multi-tap power unit that might be a little more compact, and look better? You know, to impress all those keyboard groupies I've heard are out there?

If you have, any suggestions/tips?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to improve my "quick deployment cabling-rig", since we often play with other bands and there is not always a lot of time to set up.

Currently, I have a super MacGyvered system consisting of two power supplies bundled together and taped to a small multi-outlet strip.

(Specifically, two Roland power supplies (for a VR-09 and an RD-64), as well as a Boss power supply for my RE20 delay unit).

The various cables are tied together with Velcro. It works, but ain't pretty.

SPECIFICS:

I'm at work not working, but I believe the Roland power supplies are PSB-1U (now replaced by the Roland PSB-120). Internet wisdom say they are 9V DC at 2A (18W), connector is a standard barrel type with center pin negative. Apparently the tip of the plug is 11mm long. The Boss is 12V something.

(NOTE - the VR09 manual says the current draw is only 600 mA (it can run off of batteries), so not sure why a 2A power supply is needed.)

ANYWAY - anyone made such a multi-tap power unit that might be a little more compact, and look better? You know, to impress all those keyboard groupies I've heard are out there?

If you have, any suggestions/tips?

My first suggestion is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are companies out there that make multiple-tap power supplies, and a couple of them are quite reputable, but by and large you don't see an operational or economic benefit until you're powering more than three devices, and it can be tricky to get a supply that delivers everything you need at an affordable price if you need multiple rail voltages at the same time.

A lot of pedals now use that 9V barrel DC standard, so it's pretty easy to get a Snark or a Godlyke PowerAll or a OneSpot to handle a chain of them (assuming you're not dead set against switching power supplies), but mixing 9 and 12 or 9 and 18 is going to cost quite a bit more. Honestly, if your only complaint is that your current solution is ugly, I think you should count your blessings and stick with it. Is there a real operational reason why you'd want to switch?

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music