Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yeah. The Gear Will Help... #3005660 08/29/19 08:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
GuardiansGuitar Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Throughout my career, I've met soooooooo many artists who have rationalized NOT producing music for release by saying things such as, "I just need the right plug-ins," or "My guitar rig sucks—I need a new amp," or "If only I had this cool multi-effects box, my song would really kick some butt."

Yeah. The gear will help.

There's also another idea—and I will quote from Mr. John Lennon to start us off: "Free your mind instead."

C'mon. Gear is a means to an end. It exists for you to manifest your creative ideas in a tangible form. It's not the ENGINE of your imagination and productivity.

Sure. You should be comfortable with your tools, as that comfort zone can help you feel confident and guide you to some groovy elements.

But that stuff shouldn't rule your productions, or freeze them in a cold, heartless web of inactivity.

Nah.

If you are stuck, it may be your BRAIN.

You're paranoid. Fearful. Too obsessed with perfection. Confused. Unable to make creative decisions and have the confidence to stick with them—right or wrong, good or bad. Sabotaged by your concept of "good tone." Lazy. Driving yourself crazy because your work isn't as brilliant as your favorite artist's. Or, yeah, one of those peeps who simply keeps making excuses about NOT getting stuff done.

A true and committed artist must produce work that the public can absorb, critique, enjoy, ignore, and/or be inspired by. A so-called "artist" who produces absolutely nothing, but considers themselves wonderfully creative—not that they'd ever release any proof—is just another ghost braying into the storm of artistry created by others. They're not even drowned out by the sounds others create. They are just silent. Invisible. Nothing.

Don't talk about your hopes and dreams. Don't make excuses. Anyone existing today has the tools to produce music and let the public hear it. Many of those tools are FREE.

Let's hear your vision. Free your mind. And your songs...

Last edited by GuardiansGuitar; 08/29/19 08:50 PM.
Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3005662 08/29/19 09:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,644
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,644
Originally Posted by GuardiansGuitar
Anyone existing today has the tools to produce music and let the public hear it. Many of those tools are FREE.


But aren't those tools... gear?

Then you have to factor in the other element of time, especially that time spent learning to use those tools, especially in the recording and software realms.


"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: Danzilla] #3005663 08/29/19 09:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
GuardiansGuitar Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
All good points, Danzilla, but you may have slightly missed my main point here: Don't use the tools, gear, time, learning curve, and so on from PREVENTING you to ultimately release something.

As I said in the post: I know talented musicians who have spent years making various excuses, and, as a result, they have cheated us from sharing in their creative minds. Sigh.

Thanks tons for joining the conversation!!!

Best,
Mike

Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3005689 08/30/19 12:28 AM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,265
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,265
Originally Posted by GuardiansGuitar
Gear is a means to an end. It exists for you to manifest your creative ideas in a tangible form. It's not the ENGINE of your imagination and productivity.

My brother, who is the best guitarist I've ever worked with, would agree with this sentiment 100%, Mike.

Bear in mind I'm talking about a live performance context, not recording, but I think the principle still holds.

He has the ability to make very cheap instruments sound amazing and owns an array of low to mid priced guitars. He also owns a spectacular-sounding Gibson Flying V - but it's easily the nicest guitar he has and not the only one he uses. I play with him in a party/rock band and the most frequently used axe is a Squier Hello Kitty.

He's often asked how he manages to extract such excellent tone out of his cheap and cheerful equipment. He'll usually say something along the lines of this thread title. "The gear helps, but your unique sound comes from what YOU do."

Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: CowboyNQ] #3006199 09/02/19 11:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,188
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
Offline
20k Club
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,188
Originally Posted by CowboyNQ
My brother, who is the best guitarist I've ever worked with, would agree with this sentiment 100%, Mike.

Bear in mind I'm talking about a live performance context, not recording, but I think the principle still holds.

He has the ability to make very cheap instruments sound amazing and owns an array of low to mid priced guitars. He also owns a spectacular-sounding Gibson Flying V - but it's easily the nicest guitar he has and not the only one he uses. I play with him in a party/rock band and the most frequently used axe is a Squier Hello Kitty.

He's often asked how he manages to extract such excellent tone out of his cheap and cheerful equipment. He'll usually say something along the lines of this thread title. "The gear helps, but your unique sound comes from what YOU do."


While my Les Paul was waiting to have a neck and headstock break repaired, and also while I was having problems with my favorite all-tube combo-amp, I was using a borrowed ESP with a Floyd Rose and rather thin, bright humbuckers through a borrowed Solid State Peavey head and a 4x12 cab, with a few of my favorite pedals. Damned if I still got compliments on my tone, live-and-in-person and also regarding a YouTube vid! I guess that there's something to be said about that "tone is in your fingers" and related axioms.

And as long as I had a guitar and amp to play, I had no excuses!


Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3006240 09/03/19 06:03 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
GuardiansGuitar Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Awesome, Caevan. Sometimes, I'd get surprised comments over at GUITAR PLAYER when I'd take a newly delivered review guitar or amp out to a gig without having it setup or at least run-through. I actually LIKED struggling with an unfamiliar piece of gear, and, like you, I acknowledged that I had no excuses if I sucked. Can't blame the "new" gear—just my inability to make something cool with it. — Mike

Re: Yeah. The Gear Will Help... [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3006268 09/03/19 12:04 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,188
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
Offline
20k Club
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,188
Originally Posted by GuardiansGuitar
Awesome, Caevan. Sometimes, I'd get surprised comments over at GUITAR PLAYER when I'd take a newly delivered review guitar or amp out to a gig without having it setup or at least run-through. I actually LIKED struggling with an unfamiliar piece of gear, and, like you, I acknowledged that I had no excuses if I sucked. Can't blame the "new" gear—just my inability to make something cool with it. — Mike


Now, I can be a little- OK, a LOT wink - fussy about the feel and response of a guitar. I did spend a good bit of time re-stringing and setting-up the aforementioned ESP guitar with my favorite strings and gauges; its owner later thanked me for that when I returned it, though if memory serves, I did give it back strung and set-up with the same type of strings, but in "10's", not my favored "11's". I would only do a gig with a totally unfamiliar axe that I hadn't strung and set-up if I were practically forced to.


Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Moderated by  GuardiansGuitar 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3