Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Poll: Kurzweil K2500SX or TRINITY V3 Pro ?

Hello!

I've tried them both. I love them both. I can buy ONE only for around $600 USD -Good deal given I live in Mexico and both are in great conditions-

NOW I need you guys to tell me which one would you choose and why... maybe I'm missing something...

The TRINITY has all the MOSS Expansions. Awesome. What a SYNTH. Expressive. Light and sexy. Boring regular keys for being a 76-keys synth.

The K2500XS ... well, was used by Rick Wright... it sounds like Floyd's "Pulse". Nice keys, heavy as hell. Boring black. Awesome pianos and organs.

So... ?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: The Kurzweil. Its the better workhorse. The "nice keys" will come to mean more and more over time. Kurzweil has earned its good name repeatedly. This model has every form of connection known pre-USB & Firewire, so MIDI, ADAT and SCSI will present their own requirements and issues. You'll have to chase down a few pieces such as third-party sounds and various cables, but there is a small, steady pro users group to draw on. You can bring a 2500XS very close to current standards. Its probably not the sampler of choice in a software world and although its a powerful synth, you have to put added effort into programming sounds from the ground up. All of that said, it covers a LOT of ground beautifully. You can take up a modest VA synth for that area of sounds if you need them, but a K will do pretty much everything else. If its going to stay in the studio, even moreso.

I love my own Korgs, but the age of the Trinity is a serious issue, especially where the touchscreen is concerned. It has a nice sequencer to offer and a surprisingly crisp soundset for the modest amount of ROM provided. Like the Kurzweil, this one is also from the ADAT/SCSI era, so no quick USB stick transfers! Which is the better choice depends on your personal variables, including what you already own and what either of these adds to your existing rig. IMO, the Kurzweil has the clear edge in both range of functions and out-of-the-box playability.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Gus, I can't argue with David's reasoning, but if you can scrape up the cash, buy them both! If you're serious that that Korg has all the MOSS expansions in it, they may be worth as much as the keyboard itself! Has the used market changed that much since a friend of mine sold a loaded Trinity on Ebay, had the seller rip out the MOSS board and send the empty keyboard back, and then have Ebay bust him for fraud for selling an "empty" machine when he'd promised the board?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

So Kurzweil is winning...

But Mike, YES, the Trinity it has all the expansion boards. So the bang on the buck is high.

:hider:

www.guslozada.com

both of them being 25 years or so of age, I would buy the one with weighted keys if it didn't need to be moved. You could always use it as a controller for VST's and app's if the audio outputs go bad

Hi Dave!

That is why I have an ENSONIQ ZR76. Nice keys, awesome "Real Piano" expansion board, for its age. And YES, it is also my main MIDI controller in my studio.

The Trinity won't replace it because it does not have weighted keys; that would be the job of the K2500 if I buy it.

:wave:

www.guslozada.com

Casio CZ-101. I love nonvelocity mini keys, no samples, no filters. Actually DO love my CZ101. Shame people are so short minded.....except keys....I agree, keys absolutely SUCK on the CZ-101....unbearable.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

YES, the Trinity it has all the expansion boards. So the bang on the buck is high.

I would buy the Trinity. Can't stand all that menu diving with Kurzweil and that tiny screen. :pop:

Try offering the seller $500 for the Trinity.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Neither. They're both old and parts are hard to find. Once something breaks it will cost you more than what you paid for them to get them fixed. Then they become $600 heavy paperweights. Spend a litle more and get a more reliable keyboard that you can get parts for it. I have a GEM Equinox for sale that when it came out was known as the "Poor man's K2500". I'll sell it to you cheaper than either board. Everything works on it.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2967230/generalmusic-equinox-88-pro#Post2967230

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If the K2500 has the KDFX effects processor in it then probably go for it. I was told by several people back in the day that Rick Wright used my KeySolutions Steinway D sample in his K2500 but I was never able to verify it. As mentioned, do verify that all the buttons work.

I always like the Trinity. Pristine, crisp sound compared to the Triton that followed it.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I bought a fully optioned K2500XS in 1996 as a graduation present for myself. (MBA at 45). I still have it.

The good:

- VAST: it"s nutty good and musician oriented.

- Wide range of built in and optional sounds.

- weighted keys work well for a wide range of samples

- Aftertouch works well.

I would go further, but this is a very long list.

The bad:

- Over 80lbs with options. And I got older.

- Yes, menu diving is tedious.

- Individual (obsolete Fatar) keys wear out. I moved many center keys to the high and low ends of the keyboard.

- Weighted keys reach velocity of 127 too easily for piano VSTs.

- I have had to open the unit dozens of times to reseat connectors and repair keys. Lots and lots of little screws.

My best use of this board was for pit orchestra in Broadway shows.

I'd go for the fully-loaded Trinity myself, seems to be a better bang for the buck, especially with the MOSS option. I have a ProX and absolutely love it, even though it's not fully loaded.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I'm a Kurzweil partisan. If I were limited for the rest of my life to just one instrument, I would be pretty content / happy with any K2500 or later, PC3, or Forte, because the synth engine underneath that nice piano is just so darned versatile.

That said, if you get the 2500 and want to use it for B3 sounds, make sure you have either a Leslie or a Lester K or something to play the organ through. The KB3 organ itself is quite nice, but the K2500's Leslie effect -- with or without KDFX -- is crap.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

...I live in Mexico....

Is it going to be more difficult handling parts and repairs living in Mexico? Probably?

...Spend a litle more and get a more reliable keyboard that you can get parts for it.

...I have a GEM Equinox for sale....

...Will only ship within the US....