Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rig Rundown Ty Bailie w/Katy Perry

Katy Perry...I know.

But interesting that he does nothing but touch keys, everything else is automated. Also that everything is digital EXCEPT the Prophet Rev 2!

[video:youtube]

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing in this Electro Pop act, nothing comparable in size to Katy Perry of course, but all the program changes and some filter sweeps for my three keyboards came via MIDI from an Ableton rig. That was a way cool experience - being able to fully concentrate on the playing without having to worry about hitting tiny program buttons on the keyboard panels...
It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Neat and simple rig, perfect for this situation.

Plus, the guy looks super nice (making jokes regarding the pink flamincos and his pink keyboards is considered as a plus)

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Really cool clip - wish it had been longer. I'm still curious how the rig works in terms of what's played live vs. pre-recorded. They described the understage area as "playback" and suspect a show like Katy Perry is largely tracked with some live vocals over top of prerecorded vocals, most instruments are tracked?

A lot of time and $ spent on an elaborate hard disk recorder/playback system. :laugh:

I wonder how good that show would be if the computers went down and he had to rely solely on the Nord and Prophet 6. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think playback may refer a lot to the midi track playback that controls a lot of non-audio things. Clicks, patch changes, even lighting. I play in a Neil Diamond band where the BL has cues, clicks, video and lights all "tracked". We play the gig with a soundman and no lighting tech and the drummer makes sure the computers are running correctly.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

A lot of time and $ spent on an elaborate hard disk recorder/playback system. :laugh:

I wonder how good that show would be if the computers went down and he had to rely solely on the Nord and Prophet 6. :D:cool:

I think most of us know the answer to that ? Rather just keep a positive vibe and I am sure he is a great player.

Everything automated is how Pop acts are going these days. Coming from guitar world some Pop acts don't even have amps onstage any more the guitarist with guitar then magic is their guitar tech behind off stage running the modeling amp and pedals. It's all about the show and the onstage musicians are just an illusion of being live and spontaneous.

When I got back into recording about a decade ago I attended a ProTools talk and we all had to introduce ourselves and what we do. The one guy said he was Elton John's timer keeper, which everyone kind of looked at him. He explained that Elton's live show everything lights, soundboard, effects, some of the instruments are all running off sync machine like in filmwork and he setup and ran the the timecode generator and responsible for keeping all the sync'd gear insync.

Stuff like this is why I'm a jazz cat these days live still means musicians interacting with each other.

There is a video about the Bruno Mars rig?

Not a video that I know of, but John Fossitt did a feature with Jon Regen of Keyboard pretty much exactly a year ago. I actually posted Ty's rig rundown in that thread to compare. There's also a link to a great YouTube playlist of keyboard rig rundowns which has since been updated to include Dan's Heart rig, Andy Burton's Little Steven rig, Ricky Peterson's Fleetwood rig, etc.

Bruno Keys Rig Thread

The show is probably locked to timecode because there are lighting cues synced with exact hit points in certain tunes. I saw this on a Bruno Mars show. Bruno had lots of pyro too (haven't seen a KP show). Of course it's trivial to lock a ProTools session to TC and I'm guessing that BG vox are prerecorded among other audio. Midi sequences with notes & patch changes would be another easy addition to this kind of setup. You could concievably have everything prerecorded with the onstage performers miming, but I'll assume they do leave something for them to do!

[edit - an old thread about the Bruno show I opened for: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2937241/1. Ty's video was posted there too!]

I'm sure they have multiple redundancy. And Ty is an extremely talented and accomplished musician. He would be fine.

I'm sure they have multiple redundancy. And Ty is an extremely talented and accomplished musician. He would be fine.

No doubt. I'm sure Ty is a capable musician too.

It's just amazing how so many *live* performances are computer dependent nowadays. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Downstairs was multiple laptops, I"m assuming MBP.

I"m guessing at least two of those are replicas for redundant MainStage setups.

I wonder how they handle backing up the ProTools rig that"s commanding the show - especially if it"s the clock for lighting as well... hmmm?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

[quote=ProfD

It's just amazing how so many *live* performances are computer dependent nowadays. :cool:

^^^^

THIS !

lots of "off-stage playback-station" backing tracks operated by crew guy called "tech"

"slave to the rhythm" (click) performance ...

"standard" rig configuration (being copied from some forerunners already thinking about changing it again) ...

"musician" easily replaceable ... (what managers and tech managers always wanted)

(see tour rider suitable gear and blacklists of "unmanageable" musicians)

A.C.

Coming from guitar world some Pop acts don't even have amps onstage any more the guitarist with guitar then magic is their guitar tech behind off stage running the modeling amp and pedals. It's all about the show and the onstage musicians are just an illusion of being live and spontaneous.

I play with a guitarist who operates without an amp - he runs an amp sim directly to FOH and hears himself back through a personal monitor. I personally don't see a problem with it, to my mind it's no different when I use the amp sim on board my SV-1. He's most definitely playing live.

That said, we were recently setting up for a show and one of the in-house techs was regaling us with a story of a tribute act who mimed their entire performance (apart from lead vocals if I understood correctly). I couldn't actually believe this so I asked the in-house soundy to confirm. He said "yep, they just handed me a USB and said 'play this'". Not sure how one does that with drums!

Downstairs was multiple laptops, I"m assuming MBP.

I"m guessing at least two of those are replicas for redundant MainStage setups.

I wonder how they handle backing up the ProTools rig that"s commanding the show - especially if it"s the clock for lighting as well... hmmm?

Complete show is pre-programmed/pre-recorded incl. backing tracks (all kind of,- can be everything is pre recorded !)... once it runs it runs.

It´s like JMJ´s performance at egyptian pyramids which in principle was a "Protools-Show" w/ some musicians play along with.

(I know the bass-synth player hired for that show, who later became his MD, so I know and IIRC, he himself mentioned the "Protools-Show" in an interview in a well known music mag) ... anyway ...

Everything MIDI clock and other events incl. MIDI Prg.-Changes, filter sweeps and so on are pre-programmed just like you have a recorded project in your DAW waiting for someone push [play].

The keyboard-rig related MBPs w/ Mainstage run as slaves w/ the Protools host computer.

I see at least 2 keyboard rigs on stage,- so for each there are 2 MBPs w/ Mainstage.

NORD Stage is masterkeyboard-controller only because it´s easier to replace a controller only than replacing a failing keyboard w/ it´s internal sounds (additionally) in use, especially when these internal patches aren´t stock ones.

In fact, the target is always to be able to replace everything (musicians included) in a minute (or less) "because the show must go on".

So they hire the gear (and paint it pink or whatever ...),- leave the organization for the techs and the musician comes and plays along w/ the backing tracks,-

... and when he makes "problems" ... another one plays THAT rig.

That´s it !

I guess there´s also a 2nd Protools-Rig in use to be save and there are clones for all the drives used in Protools rigs as also keyboard-rig´s MBPs.

A.C.

Nord Stage 2 used strictly as a MIDI controller... sheesh.
I use a secondhand Nord Stage Classic as a MIDI controller - it was the cheapest way of getting 76 weighted keys and a MIDI socket. I think Ty's criteria are rather different.

Cheers, Mike.

Complete show is pre-programmed/pre-recorded incl. backing tracks (all kind of,- can be everything is pre recorded !)... once it runs it runs.

It´s like JMJ´s performance at egyptian pyramids which in principle was a "Protools-Show" w/ some musicians play along with.

(I know the bass-synth player hired for that show, who later became his MD, so I know and IIRC, he himself mentioned the "Protools-Show" in an interview in a well known music mag) ... anyway ...

Everything MIDI clock and other events incl. MIDI Prg.-Changes, filter sweeps and so on are pre-programmed just like you have a recorded project in your DAW waiting for someone push [play].

A.C.

We do the same, except I am not "midi-ed" to the system. The singer and bass-synth player however are, so all patch changes are MIDI operated. Also we have some LED lights with a programmed show, which is also triggered by MIDI.

We use a hardware device though, called uTrack24 from Cymatic audio CLONK. It allows sending 24 channels of audio tracks and midi. Only disadvantage is, it will not play instantly, so looping etc is not possible as one could do in Ableton.

I know a lot of musicians think this is cheating, and I had some problems with it myself, but I just see it as a different kind if gig now.

Rudy

...interesting that he does nothing but touch keys, everything else is automated...

I've been doing that since 1989.

1st system: Lake Butler RFC-1 & DMC MXâ8

Current: FAMC Liquid Foot+ Mini & Cantabile

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

And I get excited when I program simple patch changes into SetList Maker!

My former piano teacher was a Keyboard player and eventually MD for a massive pop act 20+ years ago. They had a backup of the keys parts running from disk, in case anything went down. In fact, they had his boards going into his monitors, but the pre recorded track going to FOH on his first night. In the middle of a song, he got a message over his headset "your keys are now live FOH." lol...sink or swim brother!