Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Speed Control -- Foot Switch or Half Moon? And why?

Half moon. On my Mojo61, I press that little button above the keys because I don't have a half moon for it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

OT---I need to replace my foot switch. For Leslie speed, I want latching. my old switch looks like roland or boss. I only see non-latching on Amazon.

Which switch for Mojo61?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Which switch for Mojo61?

It requires the lower manual, which I don't have anyway.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Half-moon here, since I began playing Hammonds on my chopped C3 in 1969. I bought a Nord one straight away with my first Electro, kept it for my Stage, rewired it for my Mojo.

You know how some folks say if you"re not driving a stick shift, you"re not really driving? That"s about how I feel with a foot switch. No real feel for me.

Here for the gear.

Which switch for Mojo61?

Which switch for Mojo61?

Joe, huh????

The single MoJo61 certainly has a jack for sustain/Leslie change. I"m asking which latched foot switch will work with it. Maybe I"m misunderstanding something?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Started out with the half moon, but after the umpteenth time I busted it off in a doorway loading in or out of a gig I went to the foot switch and never looked back.

At least for you it was a doorway. I might be the only guy in history to hurriedly swivel out of playing position and nearly take off a kneecap on the damn thing.

I'm with Mike... these days, I often use aftertouch for things like Leslie control, because that's what my rig works best with. I haven't had a Hammond in decades, so I don't have the muscle memory most of y'all do.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Half moon for me on both the vintage C3 and the XK5. The 5 however, gives you three options, half moon, button on console, and side mounted switch on foot pedal. it's nice to have the choice. On the C, I positioned the switch under the first octave of the white keys so I could flip the switch with the heel of my hand while playing left hand bass.

OT---I need to replace my foot switch. For Leslie speed, I want latching. my old switch looks like roland or boss. I only see non-latching on Amazon.

Which switch for Mojo61?

Like bjosko said, a sustain pedal (for piano sounds) on the Mojo 61 acts as a momentary on/off on the organ sounds -- I like that feature a lot!

And my Mojo 61 came with a dual on/off foot switch (it's really not a pedal per se...) with the left being rotary on/off, and the right being fast/slow (latched). It looks sorta like this, from the Crumar site:

http://www.crumar.it/pages/accessories/MJ-SW2/01.jpg

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I actually use a Trek II rocker switch that was installed on my organ when I got it. I don't remember the model number, and it looks like it isn't made anymore. But since it's the only thing I've known, really, I've gotten used to it. I've debated adding a footswitch, though.

I actually use a Trek II rocker switch that was installed on my organ when I got it. I don't remember the model number, and it looks like it isn't made anymore. But since it's the only thing I've known, really, I've gotten used to it. I've debated adding a footswitch, though.
I also have one of those switches on my A100 chop that has a center off position (works with EIS relays). I don't see it available in the current Trek II product listing either. I have added a foot switch control. It's nice to be able to have both methods available.

Which switch for Mojo61?

You don't need a latching pedal to control the Leslie speed in a latching mode on the Mojo61, just a standard pedal. In fact, the default setting (and only setting until about 9 months ago), uses a conventional sustain pedal but the organ processes it in a latching manner. I'm a momentary guy, and that bugged the heck out of me. I emailed Crumar immediately asking for a momentary mode. From the comments here, I probably wasn't the only one. Very next update a few weeks later included a momentary setting. Love those guys!

But yeah, in short, just get a standard sustain pedal, cheapo square or piano sustain, either will work. Don't get a latching pedal, You'll have to tap it twice to make the Mojo latch! Furthermore, when you switch to an EPiano model, it'll work as a sustain pedal. I do double duty with one pedal between two boards (via midi routing).

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Which switch for Mojo61?

Joe, huh????

The single MoJo61 certainly has a jack for sustain/Leslie change. I"m asking which latched foot switch will work with it. Maybe I"m misunderstanding something?

Oh, duh. I read your post as two separate parts. Sorry! :blush:

I learned with a foot switch when I was 16. I spent 25 years years doing that. Last year I got the xk1c and I got the half moon just to try it. It"s been there for a year now connected to the vent 2 which sits on a small table attachment next to the xk. Totally bizarre I know but I like that it forces me to play differently. The remote foot switch for the vent is always in my kit because I"m assuming I"ll just get sick of the half moon and swap it out one of these nights but it hasn"t happened yet. It reminds me of how I liked using the virtual drawbars on my Nord electro 2 just because they forced me to play differently.

• 3 months later...

I play a Hammond XK-3C through a Neo Ventilator II, which is pretty much brand new to me.

I used to use the XK-3C internal rotary simulator activated by a stomper foot switch employing a TRS plug to switch between fast/slow.

I want to use this foot switch plugged into the remote jack on the Ventilator, but I can't seem to get just the fast/slow working, it always cycles to the the stop position....this is undesirable for my application.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks for any help.

Since I use a Neo Vent for my Leslie, I'll use a foot switch, I took the footswitch that came with my Motion Sound Pro3TM and rewired it to work with the vent.

The remote switch for the Vent is set up to work with a normal half-moon switch, so I had to wire the DPDT switch to emulate the half-moon

In rehearsal, if I use the SK-2's internal Leslie, I just set it to accept the half moon.

I tend to have both hands working, so trying to stop the left hand to work the switch is cumbersome. So I work the speed switch with the left foot, and the expression pedal with my right.

@ That Piano Guy, that may be what is happening with your Vent II. My vent did the same thing using just a latching on/off.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'm a big vibrato guy. I typically setup all my lead synths to AT vibrato. To me, Leslie speed is an extension of vibrato, so I like to spin it up mid note, have it constantly moving in and out with the phrasing. Maybe it's not the way players used it in the 60s, but it's how I like it. And no way a half-moon is going to give me the control a foot switch will. I've tried to get into using the Mojo61 button, but it doesn't give me the organic phrasing that I can get with a sustain pedal. I think it's just a whole different school of playing, and I like my way!!!

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I am not an organ player so i use a pedal to change speed for internal sim from my Kurzweil K2661.

Pedal to change speed from my Strymon Lex when i use it with my K2661.

When i play with my Yamaha Reface YC, i use the onboard switch because it has not an input for extenal switch, only for volume.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I'm a big vibrato guy. I typically setup all my lead synths to AT vibrato. To me, Leslie speed is an extension of vibrato, so I like to spin it up mid note, have it constantly moving in and out with the phrasing. Maybe it's not the way players used it in the 60s, but it's how I like it.

+1

I'm a big vibrato guy. I typically setup all my lead synths to AT vibrato. To me, Leslie speed is an extension of vibrato, so I like to spin it up mid note, have it constantly moving in and out with the phrasing. Maybe it's not the way players used it in the 60s, but it's how I like it. And no way a half-moon is going to give me the control a foot switch will. I've tried to get into using the Mojo61 button, but it doesn't give me the organic phrasing that I can get with a sustain pedal. I think it's just a whole different school of playing, and I like my way!!!

Very interesting, i will try it with the leslie!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

I use all.

1) half-moon

2) the kick switch on the Hammond Expression pedal.

3) fast slow button on the XK"s control panel.

Send the the audio and switch feed to the Vent from the Leslie socket and you can use whatever you want.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I just re-read my comment, and it sounds like I'm triggering leslie with AT, which I'm not. I'm advocating using pedal. I've heard of one or two people doing it with AT, which might be interesting, but that would be limiting in other ways. I was just comparing my pedal preference to synth AT, as both are immediate "hands-off" vibrato controls.

I rolled my own 3 speed 760:

45301529185_75f7a85ec4.jpgIMG_6547 by unoh7, on Flickr

And have this to turn my little 105 (roundsound machine) on for the electronic stuff:

49160993167_d890be1d39.jpgLESLIE switch by unoh7, on Flickr

Cost for both under ten bucks I think :)

Here is 760 switch on the RT3 :

45301528695_d9655855f4.jpgIMG_6550 by unoh7, on Flickr

The "real" switch below is for my 22H. The new one is three-way guitar switch inside Iphone box: works great: center is stop, forward slow and back is fast on the 760

You do get used to a nice throw like that, and you watch so many players using it ALOT, it sort of burns in, but I made the footswitch to try a different way with the small leslie, it's only "on" when you press, take your foot off, it's off--momentary. That's a cool way to go in and out---you know what I mean :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I like momentary engagement of the fast speed because it's half as much to think about, which means more of my ever-diminishing number of brain cells can focus stuff like which notes to play. Momentary only works with a foot pedal and only on clones that feature it, like the Electro and the Mojo 61. Not sure if any other clones do.

As others have noted, there are other factors that drive this choice, like whether you play pedals and whether you're sitting or standing. I can sort of play organ standing, but I can't really truly play organ standing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I just re-read my comment, and it sounds like I'm triggering leslie with AT, which I'm not. I'm advocating using pedal. I've heard of one or two people doing it with AT, which might be interesting, but that would be limiting in other ways. I was just comparing my pedal preference to synth AT, as both are immediate "hands-off" vibrato controls.

Thanks!

Footswitch, I was a Hammond/ Multi Keyboardist as a kid and always used a Half Moon on all my Hammonds and Leslies in the late 60's and 70's....but with clones and the newer gear and pretty much being a Mult/Keyboardist ... I use a footswitch as I said before... I can keep both hands on the keys that way and it doesn't interrupt my general flow as much ... I generally do not push pedals on gigs and only a bit at home. I have a Half Moon I use on my B3/122 at home, only for recording and playing at home just like the good old days!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I use a half moon on my B3, but mounted in a rather unusual place--in front of the F below middle C (right before the Hammond logo starts). It's actually very convenient to grab with a thumb or flick with a finger while walking a bass line, and really doesn't get in the way at all. I use a foot switch when using the Ventilator.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack