Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scarlett 18i20 - thoughts?

I have been thinking about getting into the software side of keyboards. I am planning on using my Mac air that has the Intel 8th generation i5 and 8gig of memory and small SSD. This would be used soley for my live rig. Which should be adequate for what I am thinking about doing.

I found a great deal on a scarlet 18i20 3rd gen interface and would like to get the NI Kontakt 6 package. My hope is to use it in my live rig for a few specific 3rd party sounds like fiddle, some piano and horn parts.

Any thoughts on the Scarlett 18i20 before I pull the trigger?( Besides the great deal, I like that it can be rack mounted and doesn't sport the wall wart power supply. I know it might be overkill for this rig but the price is just a little more than the smaller units.)

Thoughts???

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Scarlett 6i6 with a Macbook, SSD and Kontakt, so I would think you'll like an 18i20 either 3 times more or 3.333333333 times more.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

They're phenomenal interfaces for lots of reasons. I know someone who multitracks to an iPad with one, and they're great with Macs.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have an 18i8 2nd gen with which I record multiple keys and trumpet through a mic. It's a decent interface, but I have some trouble with it on Windows 10. The drivers keep crashing when I change something in the dedicated Focusrite routing software (can't think of the name). Especially when I do with a DAW or VSTi open, the driver crashes in the background. Seeing as you use a Mac and the above comments, would be solid.
Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.