Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just spent an hour with our old bass player

Just spent an hour with our old bass player, "Big Bottom" was his stage name, a fabulous bass player, just came over to visit with me on his rounds (He is a big time building contractor here on Long Beach Island NJ). He longer plays bass but his son is a fantastic local musician (as well his #1 carpenter/builder) and the son plays around town in the clubs. Anyways Billy is his given name and he was an excellent bassist, neither of us were educated musicians, but we actually did musically well together.

I haven't seen him in 30 years or more but we reconnected like it was yesterday. We played in 2 bands together; The Brant Beach Blues And Boogie Band, and The New Children of Jazz, both of them jam bands. We did some covers but we drifted as far away from the recorded versions as we could without making the tunes unrecognizable. And many times we would just start out on a single idea and morph it into who knows what and who knows where for another 5 minutes. Billy and I were so in tune with each other musically that we could drift it one way or another and within a beat or two, & the other one would have the new time signature or new key in seconds, and usually the rest of the band would follow easily. That style did not go over well with the drunks in the clubs, but we were always applauded by the musicians in the bunch who understood what we were doing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ DBM, It's always a lot of fun to get with old bandmates and reminisce...it's even more fun when you get to play some of your old tunes together again...I've been very lucky to have some of my old buds from High School move up to my neck of the woods. We still get together now and then and tell a few stories on each other. We still have a blast! Glad you got to hook up with your old bass player! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Glad you saw your old band mate. It is such a special feeling when you are in a group where a look or nod or other barely noticable sign lets you almost read the mind of the others and you know where the music is going. I had one band I was in that was like that. Great post DBM

My buddy does not play anymore and has hearing troubles. But just to reconnect and recall the days was very cool. He insisted that the next time we come he wants to take us out to dinner, and hopefully we can go out and see his son play and hear the sons band, who I hear is impressive from other folks who have seen them.

Back after a week in New Jersey.

@ DBM, It's always a lot of fun to get with old bandmates and reminisce...it's even more fun when you get to play some of your old tunes together again...

He does not play anymore at all, and he has extreme hearing problems, but we were good friends even before and after the bands. So reconnecting was a real treat for both of us. Plus he is a big time general contractor on Long Beach Island building multi million dollar homes.

My buddy does not play anymore and has hearing troubles.

Sorry about your friend desert. It does suck. Im feeling that right now. Was just messaging an old friend from another forum earlier. Bad ass guitar player too. Havent spoken to any of them in about 3 ish years. Site went dead. But he hasnt played in over 4 years. Also has no plans to pick it up either. After trying to convince him to try, he tells me he had surgery and going through cancer. Not that he doesnt want to play, he just cant. He tries every now and then too see if it will come back, but never does. He also said, he rarely comes to the forums anymore. Just caught him in time. Gotta admit, Im little bothered by it. You dont get an amazing talent, and then have it stripped from you. Not fair to him or any player for that matter. Im glad you did meet up with him. Remember that moment. They really are important.

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

Don't forget to check on Fred C. for me...I'm hoping he's OK...

Sorry Larryz, I do not know where to get in touch with Fred C. I do not see him on Talk Music. I checked Talk Musics member list, I checked my e-mail and I checked my little notepad file which is where I keep musician e-mail addresses etc. No luck.

I did find his e mail address on his profile, check your pvt messages

Thanks for trying DBM! Big Time! I have Fred's email address and sent him one but no response. I PM'ed him on this forum and no response. He hasn't posted in over 2 months so I'm getting a little worried...If anyone out here has another way of contacting him, I hope they will check in on him and see that he's OK...thanks again! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I will keep an eye out for any sign of him on the internet. If I see any sign I will tell him to contact you. I have your e-mail addy, and of course will tell him to contact you on the Music Player Forums