Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for YouTube link to Audio Download

I'm looking for a recommendation for a safe, reliable download utility site for audio from YouTube to MP3, .WAV, etc.

I used to use a free online tool where I would paste the link of the YouTube video and it would download a file, but I do not think this is safe with all of the popups now. I'd like to know if there is a good tool to do this online as I don't like to install software from developers I don't know or trust.

Thank you!

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

You could always pay for the music and download it. But I know, that would have to mean supporting artists.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've used this app for quite a few years now. Yes it's software you install, but I have never seen any ill effects from using it. Mac & Windows, free (as far as I can tell), and very easy to use.

https://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-to-mp3-converter/

I asked for OS and browser because I recognized when using Youtube Downloader Express, it works w/ Firefox but not w/ Chrome (because YT belongs to Google) and Opera,- all on PC.

I also find online converters are too slow,- so I prefer quick download and once it´s on my drive,- use "Pazera free audio extractor".

Pazera offers almost any audio output format thinkable.

I do such tasks on my office machine connected to the web,- so it´s still Win7 Pro 32Bit.

A.C.

You could always pay for the music and download it. But I know, that would have to mean supporting artists.

No !

And I´m one of the old farts who learned the web means minimizing income.

It does !

When I download stuff from the web/YT,- it´s for learning purposes.

I rarely consumate music since I performed music to make a living.

But I´ll learn ´til I die.

And because the web minimized my income by about 90% meanwhile,- I´ll download what I need for free as long as I can.

I´ll retire in less than 1 1/2 years and will get a very small pension.

So,- buying music will be history soon.

Blame the dominating internet giants for that behaviour ...

They make billions w/ our work (from the past),- paying cents for.

:-)

A.C.

Why do you assume I am sampling music and not spoken word, sound effects or beats? Or maybe I am loading a backing track to practice with. None of these involve stealing from artists.

I'm using Chrome on a MAC, by the way.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

It doesn't matter, if you aren't the owner of the content, you don't have rights to it. Usually the people posting the videos don't have sync licenses either, but rather than taking it down, artists will choose to place ads to earn some income. When you download it, you bypass the ads on future listens, denying them even the ad revenue.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK so lets quantify the amount the artist has lost from a someone going to the trouble to rip an mp3 from a Youtube. I tend to watch live concerts on Youtube and am not a subscriber to Youtube. Youtube keeps queuing up more concerts to follow the one just watched. I get served an ad at the beginning of the first concert and the rest roll on ad free.

So if I ripped an mp3 of the first concert how much does Youtube pay the artist? $10 per view or 1 cent per thousand views? So, if the latter, in the case of an artist who has chosen not to remove the content they own from Youtube, I rip it and listen to it 5 times I have deprived the artist of 0.005 cents. But wait the artist doesn't own it, their record company does. Lets say the artist gets 10% of gross sales after all deductibles. So the loss to the artist is 0.0005 cents gross. The record companies are the big losers here, why don't they do something to protect the commercial value of the content they own?

I doubt that "#keyboardplayersstandwithSonyshareholders" is going to go viral anytime soon, but I have been wrong in the past.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to hijack, this has already been discussed 1000 times. I just feel philosophically that if we want to be paid for our work we should practice what we preach and not contribute to the mentality that I should have free access to other people's creative works. Yes, I get all the reasons why that may go out the window in various circumstances and yes, I understand that in practice, one person doesn't make a difference. My $0.0005 doesn't change the world, but if a billion people had the same mentality, it would be a game changer. That's all. Carry on and I hope you find the solution you are looking for. This comes up often and I think every time it does, it doesn't hurt to remind the community that whether we feel somebody else deserves it more or less than us, we all benefit from supporting the concept of increased perceived value of artistic works. I'll happily bow out from here.

Dan

If someone plays a gig and covers a tune, does the writer of the tune get more from the PRO licensing the tune at the venue or the stream?

I don't disagree with you, Dan. At the same time, it can be more complicated. For instance, I might be covering a tune that has some interesting live versions (by the same artist) posted on YT. Maybe I want to learn that version, but it's not on a record and I already own or legally stream the original. Or for someone like me, I have an Apple Music subscription, but that doesn't give me the ability to put the tune in an app where I can slow it down, loop it, etc., so I can learn it. So somehow, I have to "illegally" copy it to my computer so I can have it in a format where I can learn it.

I would be more than happy if there was a way to do that in Apple Music or a special app that let me do that with a streamed song without copying to my computer.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I try to practice as J Dan preaches, but on the rare occasion where I need something to learn from that might not be available via other means, I use Audacity. I got tired of the popups, ads, and malware risk with the dedicated utilities. Audacity can capture any audio that runs through your system, including YouTube audio.

Audacity

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You do need to be really careful with some of these pages. The vast majority of them are bait for malware.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I'm using Chrome on a MAC, by the way.

Get the AudioHijack app. It captures audio from the system audio chain, which YT can't bypass. I've been using it with no problems, no malware, no popups. Then you can use Audacity to edit and export to mp3, wav, etc.

AudioHijack, Audacity... they work fine but it's real-time. The MediaHuman sw I linked to earlier will suck an mp3 off YT's server in a few seconds â and when it's done the file is on your hard drive, not needing to be downloaded from a web site. The UI is well designed and I am really impressed that sw that's this useful is completely free. (Just now I discovered that for $10/year you can subscribe to unlock a "Turbo Boost" feature and speed up downloads â but they're more than fast enough to begin with, imo). I see no visible ads or annoying popups either. Just well designed, fast, and very useful software. No, I don't work for them! I'm just happy to find software that does what it's supposed to really well â and at a very good price point too.

I just feel philosophically that if we want to be paid for our work we should practice what we preach and not contribute to the mentality that I should have free access to other people's creative works. Yes, I get all the reasons why that may go out the window in various circumstances and yes, I understand that in practice, one person doesn't make a difference. My $0.0005 doesn't change the world, but if a billion people had the same mentality, it would be a game changer. That's all.

Well said, Dan!

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

AudioHijack, Audacity... they work fine but it's real-time. The MediaHuman sw I linked to earlier will suck an mp3 off YT's server in a few seconds â and when it's done the file is on your hard drive, not needing to be downloaded from a web site. The UI is well designed and I am really impressed that sw that's this useful is completely free. (Just now I discovered that for $10/year you can subscribe to unlock a "Turbo Boost" feature and speed up downloads â but they're more than fast enough to begin with, imo). I see no visible ads or annoying popups either. Just well designed, fast, and very useful software. No, I don't work for them! I'm just happy to find software that does what it's supposed to really well â and at a very good price point too.

The problem with apps like that is that YT occasionally moves the repository where the video and audio files are kept, which breaks the app. They do this intentionally to protect copyrights.

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:43 PM, jeffinpghpa said:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a safe, reliable download utility site for audio from YouTube to MP3, .WAV, etc.

I used to use a free online tool where I would paste the link of the YouTube video and it would download a file, but I do not think this is safe with all of the popups now. I'd like to know if there is a good tool to do this online as I don't like to install software from developers I don't know or trust.

I understand the OP was asking for an online tool.  This tool, youtube-dl is not.  However, it is open source.  It is a command line tool and requires a python interpreter, though there is a windows executable available that obviates the python interpreter.

From the wikipedia entry:

youtube-dl is a free and open source download manager for video and
audio from YouTube[2] and over 1,000 other video hosting websites.[3]
It is released under the Unlicense software license.[4]

One thing I like, it can show all available audio and video formats.  Here is a list generated for one of my YT videos.  The first line is the command line that generated the report:

$ youtube-dl -F https://youtu.be/9fOWP67pxrc
[youtube] 9fOWP67pxrc: Downloading webpage
[youtube] 9fOWP67pxrc: Downloading MPD manifest
[info] Available formats for 9fOWP67pxrc:
format code  extension  resolution note
139          m4a        audio only DASH audio   49k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.5 (22050Hz), 1.14MiB
251          webm       audio only tiny  122k , webm_dash container, opus @122k (48000Hz), 2.86MiB
140          m4a        audio only tiny  129k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@129k (44100Hz), 3.01MiB
278          webm       256x144    DASH video   95k , webm_dash container, vp9, 30fps, video only
160          mp4        256x144    DASH video  108k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d400b, 30fps, video only
242          webm       426x240    DASH video  220k , webm_dash container, vp9, 30fps, video only
133          mp4        426x240    DASH video  242k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d400c, 30fps, video only
134          mp4        640x360    360p   43k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401e@  43k, 30fps, video only, 1.01MiB
243          webm       640x360    DASH video  405k , webm_dash container, vp9, 30fps, video only
244          webm       854x480    DASH video  752k , webm_dash container, vp9, 30fps, video only
135          mp4        854x480    DASH video 1155k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d4014, 30fps, video only
136          mp4        1280x720   720p  101k , mp4_dash container, avc1.4d401f@ 101k, 30fps, video only, 2.37MiB
247          webm       1280x720   DASH video 1505k , webm_dash container, vp9, 30fps, video only
18           mp4        640x360    360p  171k , avc1.42001E, 30fps, mp4a.40.2 (44100Hz) (best)

...and the command to download the best video/audio (18):

$ youtube-dl -f 18 https://youtu.be/9fOWP67pxrc

How to use youtube-dl : A Step-by-Step Tutorial

These sites have gotten pretty bad with pop ups, scams, malware, etc.  Ones that were legit don't stay that way for long.  I recently had a decent experience with this one:  GetMP3.pro sends you here:

https://getx.topsandtees.space/PXnKNE4L07

Probably better off with native software or a browser extension.   

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Over two years ago I posted in this thread recommending You Tube to mp3. Two years later and it's been updated multiple times and still works great. Super easy and fast - copy the link, paste it into the sw, click on the download button and in a few seconds (typically about five for me), the mp3 file is on your disk. No playing in real time through a "hijack" program, or command line stuff. And it's free. I have to wonder why there's even a debate about this? I'm sure there are other apps that do this too, I'm not shilling for this particular one - but I'm 100% happy with, so not motivated to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, dongna said:

I try to practice as J Dan preaches, but on the rare occasion where I need something to learn from that might not be available via other means, I use Audacity. I got tired of the popups, ads, and malware risk with the dedicated utilities. Audacity can capture any audio that runs through your system, including YouTube audio.

Hey Dongna - can you explain to this Audacity newbie what steps you take to get YT audio into Audacity and then into .wav or .mp3/4 output?   Thanks.

• Like 1

Also  long time user of Media Human.  (Their audio convertor program. is also great )

Dan and AL coda  brings up good points.   Had a conversation with someone recently that in my life, I must of bought at least 5 or 6  different versions each of AJA or Kind of Blue in various different media. 

No longer have easy access to a CD/Cassette  player.  Hooking up the Turntable to record is a pain.    If I need to send a song out  for for personal  or band use, what do I do?

I try to take the high road, but often  also need to grab live versions of things that are not available for download.   75% of my use is for ministry. My church pays a yeary CCLI  blanket license for use of songs.  That covers mechanical, publishing, and performance.    I wish there was a similar system for secular stuff.

Itunes used to be an easy way to buy single songs.   I find that of all people,  Amazon still has easy single and cheap  Mp3 purchase options for most stuff I need.  Worst case I'll send a spotify link.  

Did a wedding a few weeks ago, where bride and groom wanted a specific cover version of "Can't take my eyes off of you".   There was no recorded version so ripped the You-tube.    Even though I had already written charts,  went ahead and bought the Lead-Sheet off Musicnotes (which was lame).  I figured at least the writers would get some compensation. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, JamPro said:

Hey Dongna - can you explain to this Audacity newbie what steps you take to get YT audio into Audacity and then into .wav or .mp3/4 output?   Thanks.

Hey JamPro,

I'm not sure the instructions will be the same on all WIndows systems. But all I do is set the Audio Host (this is the left-most pull-down under the transport controls) to Windows WASAPI. Then on my system I have the Recording Device pull-down (just to the right) set to Speakers (loopback). Then just click Record and start playback of the video in YouTube. You should see the audio coming into Audacity.

Once you have the audio recorded, click  File > Export and select what format you want to save. That should be all there is to it. Let us know if you're still stuck...