Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You can use Reason as a VST plug in soon

Reason is my main DAW. But I know many people ReWire it to Live (why do people insist on calling it Ableton? Isn't that like calling Logic "Apple"?) and other DAWs. Well, at the end of next month, you can use the Rack as a VST with AU to follow at the end of the year.

Announcement Page

There is naturally some raging from Reason users who feel like the manpower could have been used elsewhere, but what else is new...

I'm going to need a faster computer, I think, which is something I have not had to think about in quite a while, oddly.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason is my main DAW. But I know many people ReWire it to Live (why do people insist on calling it Ableton? Isn't that like calling Logic "Apple"?) and other DAWs. Well, at the end of next month, you can use the Rack as a VST with AU to follow at the end of the year.

Announcement Page

There is naturally some raging from Reason users who feel like the manpower could have been used elsewhere, but what else is new...

I think it's GREAT! The raging Reason users should realize that sales is what buys the manpower to do cool things, and hopefully, this will cause more people to use Reason. I think it's a great program and deserves a wider platform...this is one way they can get it.

I think it's GREAT! The raging Reason users should realize that sales is what buys the manpower to do cool things, and hopefully, this will cause more people to use Reason. I think it's a great program and deserves a wider platform...this is one way they can get it.

Could not agree more. I was worried when the CEO retired, but they're continuing on!

"For instance" is not proof.

Could not agree more. I was worried when the CEO retired, but they're continuing on!

Are you talking about Ernst? I had no idea.

I'm old enough, maybe I should retire. On second thought...nope. I'm having too much fun with this stuff.

CEO being replaced, name being changed, Reason as a VST...all of a sudden, I realized why they HAD to change.

Reason is based on a hardware studio paradigm - patch cords, rack units, SSL mixer, etc. Reason came out around 2000 IIRC. So suppose someone 25 years old is getting into Reason now...they will have had zero experience with a hardware studio. Reason must seem confusing compared to today's streamlined DAWs.

The plug-in thing is perfect, because it ties right in with the resurgence in analog synths. Now people who have no idea about hardware studios, but understand modular synths, can use Reason in a familiar way within a familiar DAW. I wish the artist-formerly-known-as-Propellerheads-software luck in navigating the transition to a new generation.

Sigh . . . one less opportunity for people to learn how things really work.

Actually, I think it's quite the opposite. If people become aware of the concept of patching, signal flow, etc. because Reason is now a plug-in, they'll have a better of how things really work. Well, at least how things used to work :)

I think it's a brilliant move. The company needed to try a different direction, and this is like getting a suite of plug-ins in one plug-in. This will also be ideal for the people who can't wrap their heads around using ReWire to do essentially the same thing.