Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
irrational appreciation #3005248 08/27/19 05:27 AM
matthew mcglynn Offline OP
OP Offline
This is one of my favorite mics from my collection, the beyerdynamic M-380:

[Linked Image from recordinghacks.com]

It probably shouldn't be my favorite. I rarely use it. It has proximity effect for days, so it can be somewhat unforgiving of careless placement. It is bidirectional, which can make it difficult to use (e.g. you have to account for what the back side is going to hear, unlike with a Cardioid mic). The element is fragile, and if it breaks it cannot be repaired (because the headphone driver inside the mic went out of production 20+ years ago).

So, it's fairly irrational for me to have such a soft spot for this mic. But it was one of the first I ever acquired, a gift from my parents. It has sentimental value. It's probably collectible. It is a well-respected mic on bass cab and kick drum, and the last time I brought it to a guitar session the engineer was flipping out about it (even though he would have paired it with a '57). It feels like a secret weapon, lurking in my mic locker, waiting to be unleashed.

What's your irrationally favorite mic?

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com
Re: irrational appreciation [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3005264 08/27/19 10:35 AM
Mike Rivers Offline
Neumann KM-84. It works better than nearly anything else on anything I want to record, vocals excepted, though with a good pop screen it's not a bad vocal mic either. I have to add, though, that if there's something that a KM-84 doesn't work really well on, it's probably something that I'm not interested in recording. Although there are sometimes electric instruments involved, I record exclusively acoustic music - no drums that have to be big, no electric guitars that have to be huge.

I can't afford to buy any more real ones, but I've heard that the Warm Audio WA-84 is pretty darn close.

Re: irrational appreciation [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3005405 08/27/19 10:12 PM
Dr Mike Metlay Online Content
Online Content
My whole mic locker is irrational, with very few exceptions. But if I understand you correctly:

1. "Nobody but me would look twice at this mic and maybe there's nothing special about it but it's special to me and it's never let me down and I love it and despite the fact that I could replace it for a hundred bucks it's the first mic I'd rescue from a studio fire": my Shure SM57 with A2WS windscreen. Pressed into service on a moment's notice during a festival in Atlanta, when I had to put together an onsite radio station just using gear I'd brought with me, and the one thing I was missing was a mic since I don't sing when I play. The promoter was so grateful at the end of the festival that he asked me how he could repay me, and I asked for the mic. It's been with me ever since.

2. "I don't give a rat's ass what you think of the sound, and I am well aware of the fact that it's not super-useful on much of anything, but I still love how it sounds so piss off": Placid Audio Copperphone Mini. Shrug.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: irrational appreciation [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3005451 08/28/19 03:16 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
Shure SM 59.

dB

Attached Files sm59.jpg

Moderated by  matthew mcglynn