Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Next-gen drummers

Brian McConnon

YouTube and social media have not only given young drummers a ton of resources to learn, but to promote themselves and document their progress.

A couple of things I really like about Dexter is his focus on feel and groove (not just "chops" videos) and he looks like he's really having fun when he plays!

[video:youtube]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of when the video of then-12-year-old Tony Royster Jr circulated the web in 2004 or whenever it was. It wasn't self-promotion; he was so mind-blowingly great that he was on TV. I think this is the video. (The original is low quality, probably a VHS transfer!) This is simultaneously inspirational and depressing as hell. ;-)

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com

Slight hijack....how do you inspire kids to go this route? My son was interested in drums for a while. I'm divorced and my ex bought him a drum set that I would consider to be more like a toy. She didn't know any better. Of course that wasn't a good experience for him, and her and his sister complained of the noise and he lost interest. Drums are expensive, I continue to eye som electric sets thinking he could practice with headphones and avoid his sister giving him constant attitude (she's 14, so....... ). It may be too late. I learned that yesterday he declined playing in school band even though he scored 5/5 on clarinet and I already own one. I think he just wants to play soccer and Fortnight. He's 10 btw.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This reminds me of when the video of then-12-year-old Tony Royster Jr circulated the web in 2004 or whenever it was. It wasn't self-promotion; he was so mind-blowingly great that he was on TV. I think this is the video. (The original is low quality, probably a VHS transfer!) This is simultaneously inspirational and depressing as hell. ;-)

He's awesome! I was in the audience when he won the Guitar Center Drum-off in the mid-90s - I think he was 11 and I worked for GC at the time. Insane chops for any drummer, much less an 11 year old kid. Brought the house down! I'm glad he went on to have a successful career. Lot's of pressure on a kid prodigies and it doesn't always fare as well.

Slight hijack....how do you inspire kids to go this route? My son was interested in drums for a while. I'm divorced and my ex bought him a drum set that I would consider to be more like a toy. She didn't know any better. Of course that wasn't a good experience for him, and her and his sister complained of the noise and he lost interest. Drums are expensive, I continue to eye som electric sets thinking he could practice with headphones and avoid his sister giving him constant attitude (she's 14, so....... ). It may be too late. I learned that yesterday he declined playing in school band even though he scored 5/5 on clarinet and I already own one. I think he just wants to play soccer and Fortnight. He's 10 btw.

I think you can inspire kids by exposing them to as much as possible, but something has to "stick". Their interest in anything - an instrument, a sport, an academic subject, has to come from within in order to have any longevity.

I picked up the drums when I was 5-6 years old because an older brother had lost interest and there were drums in the house. Then I saw Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show. I picked up guitar at 8-9 because an older brother had lost interest and there was a guitar in the house. Then I heard a Jimi Hendrix album. I picked up piano because there was always one in the house and it seemed to tie music together for me. This wasn't planned, it just happened.

The approach I take with my own kids is I don't push them into my things, but expose them to many things. Eventually they find what they like and what they are good at. If they do want to try something, they have to do it long enough to know if they are in or out. My son gravitated toward tennis, my daughter towards the cello. Both now do their activity at a very high level as teenagers.

Drums are expensive, I continue to eye som electric sets thinking he could practice with headphones and avoid his sister giving him constant attitude (she's 14, so....... ). He's 10 btw.

If I were buying drums for a 10yo, I'd look at something like the Pearl Roadshow. For about $400 complete, it's good quality, can upgrade cymbals later, and even use this as a practice/bop kit as an adult. Of course, you can find used deals in your local classifieds via Facebook or Craigslist as well.