Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pink Floyd tribute band rig run-down

Hi y'all! Thought you guys might like to see my rig for Echoes of Pink Floyd, a tribute band based in Michigan that I play with. Redkey came to Lansing and is behind the camera. He's subbing for me on a gig next month. But we just played this past Friday at Bell's in Kalamazoo (the beer company) and had a ball. It's a fun band and fun rig.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some clever stuff there, Jim. It's not often I see someone exploiting MIDI controller tricks, Kurzweil does make some decent MIDI controllers. I had to exploit some MIDI controller tricks on my MIDIBoard when I played The Wall theater shows back in 2015, I was the only keyboard player and some songs my hands were REALLY busy so I also had to exploit economy of motion.

I saw you at Gearfest last June but you were busy and I was not able to connect.

That's a concert-scale rig. If it were me and I could get it 95% done with just the Kurzweil, I would. At least for a Brewery gig. But I suppose it depends on the paycheck. Our brains are hardwired with the most miniscule details of Floyd songs, and that's what most Floyd fans want to hear, so compromise may not be possible and you may need a rig like that just to qualify for the gig. Or am I off base?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I wish you could have seen my face in real time while you were demoing the Pigs organ on the XK5 and the Kurzweil... I was all perplexed as to why you wouldn't just use both manuals of the Hammond, and then in came the synth strings!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

As a Forte owner, I am really loving the way you present it, Jim. Even more, the Kurzweil has shown your depth and breadth as a player so far beyond being a great organist.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Enjoyed. Some tricks I can do on my older PC3 added to the knowledge. Now using a PC2 upper, PC3 lower, with two iPads, one for set list display of all the music, another as a sound generator MIDI'd from the PC3.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I wish you could have seen my face in real time while you were demoing the Pigs organ on the XK5 and the Kurzweil... I was all perplexed as to why you wouldn't just use both manuals of the Hammond, and then in came the synth strings!

I could probably do it just on the Forte, layering the correct harmony notes under the main line and playing the whole thing with one hand. But where's the fun in that? :)

Here's mine from last night. That's an all-Korg top row. Minilogue on the left is just my sequencer for On the Run (and some explosions I made for Learning to Fly). R3 on the right generally just controls one of the Panel B patches on the NS3, but sometimes speaks for itself too. On a whole other topic, that's a board ripe for some resurgent love.

The macbook hosts my samples for now, primarily because I still have notes/guides for the songs and am going to have it anyway. On a separate post I'll share my note/sample interface, which I designed and am nerdily proud of. But I don't plan to keep the macbook in the rig long term and will just host the samples on the NS3.

Interesting how many of us play in Pink Floyd bands; Richard Wright isn't usually listed in people's pantheons, but PF seems to be a group that just keeps opening up the farther in you dig.

178.jpg.55f307f198b352bf34ab082267ff1484.jpg

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

So, this is my interface. This is fullscreen on my computer during shows. I use a Firefly pedal to advance the "pages" and start and stop samples.

Top is obviously the song, patch/board, and key.

Main body is whatever guidance or reminders I need. Red is like, "DWEEB: REMEMBER THIS." RH column is the set list, so I always know where we are and what's coming. And bottom right is what settings/patches I will use on the next song, so I can get there fast if for some reason I have to start before I flip to the next page.

I realized I needed a way to know if a sample was playing, since they sometimes start with a little bit of silence, and if you get impatient and click again, it will STOP the sample that you didn't know was playing. So I added some animation to the "play" command. Then after the sample is over, the red arrow disappears.

Goofy nerd stuff I know, and most of you probably have better systems than this, but I needed a fool-proof way to step into this working project and this has proven reliable for this fool.

179.thumb.png.715a5163c644760acb77ac5fb5b63085.png

181.thumb.png.a9abd95cf582dbaf348e4699f0cbfa30.png

www.joshweinstein.com

Will Redkey use your rig or his own?

He'll be rocking his own setup.

I'll be rocking the current version of this rig possibly with a CP73 &/or Mojo61.

48638180973_c8a5cd319e_b.jpg

48638181098_3cce0c3f82_b.jpg

Hej

Which ipad holder is that and where do u mount it?

Also ireally like the rig breakdown and programming, thx for the video

So, this is my interface. This is fullscreen on my computer during shows. I use a Firefly pedal to advance the "pages" and start and stop samples.

Do you start samples with the Firefly pedal? How does that work? I understand that you can use the pedal to jump to next song or previous song (Page up/Page Down) but how you fire a sample with the pedal?

good stuff, Jim, I always enjoy your presentations!

very intelligent solutions to re-creating these parts!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Do you start samples with the Firefly pedal? How does that work? I understand that you can use the pedal to jump to next song or previous song (Page up/Page Down) but how you fire a sample with the pedal?

I do start (and stop if necessary) the samples with the pedal. I am learning stuff today but will post a very quick demo vid in the next day or two if you're curious (or just send it to you directly).

www.joshweinstein.com

That"s fine, I was just curious how you can start samples with with the pedal. I"m incorporating some samples to my setup too but I"m thinking of just triggering them from the iPad screen. However, that leaves only one hand to play the keyboard.