Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Having Sofware Probs

Hi All

I posted this on the forums at multitrack studios, but it doesn't look like they come on often. So I copy n pasted my prob here, maybe someone can figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been buying your stuff forever and today I realized you have a forum LOL. Ok, I broke something an I cant figure it out. So Im going to go nice and slow. (ps: Just bought the Pro 2 days ago, but either way Ive always had everything working)

First let me explain how I have gear attached. I have my guitar. Then the chord goes to a little plastic box from Line 6. It has capabilities to connect by USB, or Line in. Since Ive been using USB for over 10 years, I dont use the line in, just USB. So in behind the computer to USB in.

Second, I use the line 6 software. This has chorus, flanger, reverb, this is the heart and soul of my sound (its like my guitar amp with attitude) . Dont need MTS to work this. I always have this on auto settings. MTS did work with it fine. This part was not touched. I believe it uses the adio4all as well.

Third. MTS its self. I will give you the set up that DOES work. Lets go Studio>>Devices. Ok, now this is where I get confused. (this is the part thats broken LOL) So I'll give the settings

Audio Driver Type: Windows XP (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Audio In Device: Digital Audio Interface (Line 6)

MIDI In Devices: None

Audio Out Device (High Latency): Speakers (Realtek High Definition)

Audio Out Device (Low Latency): Primary Sound Driver [Latency 3072]samples

MIDI Out Devices: None

Those setting DO work, guitar can record, the track can play ALL at the same time. So Im going to go over how the recording process goes for me:

Track 1: energy 160 beats per minute guitar backtrack (this has bass, drums, rhythm guitar all in one track)

Track 2: Lead 1 solo (this is my guitar track the I record too)

Some of my work, has multiple tracks, but I made is simple. I can click record on track 2, while playing track 1. When Im finished, I can go back to beginning, and play both tracks, and it works. Problem is it sounds like sh* (*looks at forum rules) shtupid music LOL.

I think default is "Windows" Driver type. Cant remember, as I broke this LOL. I will give you my possible options for that setting.

Audio Driver Type: Windows

Audio In Device: None, Default, Digital Audio Interface (Line 6 TonePort GX)

Midi In Devices: None, Line 6 TonePort GX (same for a 4 columns)

Audio Out Device: None, Default, Speakers (RealTek High Definition Audio). [latency 12]

Midi Out Devices: None, Default, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Line 6 TonePort GX

With the above setting, I can either use Line 6 alone, or MTS alone. They wont work together. Now I did press record, on MTS, on track 2, strum the guitar, and see the needle move (not sure if right term) this means MTS can hear it, just not me.

I have an Asio4All driver type as well. Not sure what to press with these either. I'll show those options.

Audio Driver Type: ASIO

MIDI In Devices: None, Line 6 TonePort GX (same for all 4 columns)

Audio Device: None, ASIO TonePort GX, ASIO4ALL v2,

MIDI Out Devices: None, Default, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Line 6 TonePort GX

Personally I dont know what a MIDI devices is. The only input I use is a USB as stated above. If it is the same thing, please let me know.

And finally, all my options for the ASIO4ALL settings Im aloud.

Under WDM Device List I Have in order:

Realtek High Definition Audio

Realtek HD Audio Stereo input

Realtek HD Audio output

Realtek HD Audio Mic input

Line 6 TonePort GX

Out: 2x 44.1-48k Hz, 24Bits

In: 2x 44.1-48k Hz, 24 Bits

ASIO Buffer Size = 512 Samples

I think that might be all that matters there as Ive never really touched this thing. I dont know what to turn on or off on this. Im believing I have all the settings, let me know, what else is needed.

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Dave -

I'm not as PC guy, so I can't be of much help....but I gotta ask: who recommended and sold you this system? Haver you talked to them? After the sale support is (supposed to be) part of the reason dealers are there.

Line 6 tech support should also be able to help, of course.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I originally just found it online. It looked and simple, and records simple. I finally got a hold of him. Customer support is apparently one guy. The one who made it LOL. I originally messaged the forum board there. When I didnt get an answer I realized, no one was there for the last 2 weeks (which Is why I lost my temper LOL) Geil (thats his name) finally answered the board. Personally after a detailed problem like I listed above, I got a 2 sentence answer. And it was something I already knew. He then disappeared for 2 days. I decided at that point to just find a "support" thingy, and finally located it within the software itself. Did what I asked, and sent. Now Geil has been helping a little better. Maybe he didnt know I needed help or something. Its a problem, that lies within play mode, and record mode. Once I figure we figure it out, prob should be solved (I hope LOL) So I guess when its in play mode, you cant hear guitar. When you hit record/standby or record/play, you then hear it. Its never had that behavior before.

Hi David,

Sorry I can't help you directly, but I'm not a Windows guy either. I am trying to get one or two of my Windows music colleagues to weigh in on this forum...

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I am a PC guy, and quite truthfully, quit using Windows for DAW software because of such issues - 20 programs installed, all working OK, install one more or update one, all or most quit working, search for hours and hours to find trouble between different programs, drivers, and motherboard interrupts.

Only three things that come to immediate mind from your description: First that (unless the computer is actually using Windows XP) the Windows XP driver sounds wrong. Windows went to a substantially different driver architecture between XP and Vista (or 7, or 8/8.1, or 10), and I've had to use drivers rated at least for Vista on my old Windows 7 DAW, much less on Win 10.

Second in my thought process, though more likely to be problem since you DO have audio but it doesn't sound right is that a latency buffer setting is set too low, and that is causing the breakups in audio. Getting buffers setup is a process where there are two conflicting desires: minimum latency (time between playing a note and it being heard), but still a consistent audio output without breakup.

A third possibility is that somewhere in the chain, the digital audio is exceeding 100%. With the old analog gear that could produce some beautiful "tube type" distortion, but with digital gear, any peak even slightly over 100% sounds horrible.

Hopefully, one of the above will be helpful.

I'm using older eMu MIDI/Audio devices with their own software (which wasn't updated after Vista), and had no luck at all getting ASIO4ALL to work, though it has been a while. I also have a Focusrite 18i8 USB connected MIDI/Audio device, but haven't connected that to anything but the Mac.

For what I do, I switched over to the Mac platform (actually using IOS on iPads more now) because Apple's architecture just seems to handle MIDI and audio with less issues. Even then, updating OS versions is chancy in that the particular app may not have an update written for it.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

In regards to this, I was also believing my 10 year old Line 6 could also be partially responsible. I know it was updated, I find it hard to believe MTS was sole the problem. When I uninstalled, and re-installed, my Line 6 wont work now. So to me, Im believing it does share the problem. I have a support ticket with line 6. If I dont hear from them, Im going to go to Guitar center, and just get the newest Line 6 thing available, and put the old one to rest. Once I get that squared away, I will then see if software is still messing up. If that does happen, I will re-bump this topic, and go to the next step.

Thank you Dr Mike, and MoodBlues keys.

I am a PC guy.

A few observations -

Forget MIDI in this whole conversation. It has nothing to do with audio and just clouds trying to figure out what is going on.

ASIOForAll was designed for audio cards that did not have an ASIO driver written for them specifically. For example, the onboard ReakTek audio likely doesn't have ASIO drivers for it, so in this case, you'd use it. Otherwise, I'd always use the manufacturers drivers. Since it's Line6, I doubt they don't have an ASIO driver for WIndows. Get the latest driver for your Line6 device.

Drivers are finicky things, esp between OS's. I've had Windows 3.1 drivers work on Windows 95. I've had Win95 drivers work on XP, I've known Win7 drivers to work on Win10.... but not always. Best to always get the drivers that were designed for your OS.

If this worked before, and now it doesn't, it could have been something that was updated that no longer works with your system. Using old XP drivers on Win7 and the USB driver got updated might be the problem? Again, get the latest drivers from Line 6.

Your latency buffer is very very high. If it was 32 or 64, then I'd believe possibly that's the problem, but it's 3072. Anything for real time I wouldn't go higher than 256 as you'll typically notice the 'lag' of your playing to the sound coming out your speakers.

Few things to try - normal process of elimination. Try another USB port. Check to see what the Line6 device requires - If it's a USB2.1 device, don't put it on a USB1 port. Try another USB cable. Try doing this on a different PC to see if it's the PC or the device. It's all a pain, especially if this was working, but you'd got to go through this. If this does the same thing on a different PC, then I'd say it's the Line 6 device died potentially. I would also output your guitar into another interface that you know works. If that works, then it's the Line6. It could be your guitar. Try another device into the Line6 as well.

Short answer - swap everything around and see what's the issue; the guitar, the interface or the PC.

Devon

Thanks so much for jumping in, Devon!

For folks who don't know: Devon is a past and current writer for RECORDING Magazine who runs a small but incredibly well-integrated MIDI studio in Texas. He's a guitarist, keyboardist, and PC guru who's been writing great articles about Windows music computer issues for me for many years now, and I'm incredibly grateful that he's popped into The Computer Lab to help folks out.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

If you're serious about recording it may be time for a computer upgrade ;) With that said I'm using an i7 computer I built years ago(I have a Gold version of Windows 7 Ultimate installed from when Windows 7 first came out) and am using an old PCI interface(Echo Audio Layla 3G). I run Sonar, Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, Cubase Pro 10, Sound Forge 12 Pro, WaveLab Pro 9.5, etc. If you build your own PC chances are you'll have the same good experience as me but if you buy an off-the-shelf PC you're gonna have headaches! Building is easy and cheaper! Too many people like to compare a $500 PC to a $4,000 Mac and it doesn't add up....decide what's important to you! I've never had trouble with my PC...maybe I'm an idiot ;)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!