Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: marino] #3004653 08/23/19 12:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
[Linked Image from vignette.wikia.nocookie.net]

KC Island
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Markyboard] #3004660 08/23/19 01:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
[Linked Image from macprovid.vo.llnwd.net]

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3004661 08/23/19 01:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Synthoid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
I think it's safe to say the Telharmonium was a "one of a kind."

[Linked Image from reaktorplayer.files.wordpress.com]


When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3004662 08/23/19 01:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,377
And to go along with your one of a kind synth...lets hope these are also one of a kind (or less):

[Linked Image from assets.bigcartel.com]

[Linked Image from assets.bigcartel.com]

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3004668 08/23/19 02:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Synthoid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Excellent!


When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3004726 08/23/19 06:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,195
marino Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,195
Originally Posted by Synthoid
I think it's safe to say the Telharmonium was a "one of a kind."

[Linked Image from reaktorplayer.files.wordpress.com]



Well, three of them were made... and the second one was even moved, from Maine to Washington IIRC - using 40 trucks!

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Markyboard] #3004733 08/23/19 07:39 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,760
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,760
Originally Posted by Markyboard
[Linked Image from vignette.wikia.nocookie.net]


I remember seeing that at NAMM 2000. Wasn't working at the time. No sign of one since.

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: DrSynth] #3004769 08/24/19 01:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 176
Dr Mike Metlay Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by DrSynth
Originally Posted by Dr(!)Mike Metlay
Some favorites, off the top of my head:

Yamaha V80FD - only one prototype made, Yamaha reportedly had it crushed when the project was cancelled



Actually 4-6 protos were built of the V80 IIRC, as we had at least 2 here in the US and 2 in Hamamatsu. We demoed 2 in a private room at the Hilton for 1989 Anaheim NAMM showing to press and dealers. I was really fond of it, as is pushed the limits of what 6 OP sine wave FM was capable.

Right call to cancel it as it was a somewhat kludgey stopgap to wait for the SY77 to come online. I'd posted on Soundcloud a few months ago the original demos I did with Scott Plunkett. Best aspect of it was the 'modular' expansion feature that evolved into the later PLG cards, though that was never operational before the plug was pulled.

I can confirm they were all crushed. Knowing its fate I conveniently managed to 'forget' to take mine back to Yamaha for quite a while, and it was the last one to go...

Manny


Hi Manny,

Thanks very much for this information! I have a dear friend and colleague in LA who, at the time of the 1989 NAMM Show, had managed to wangle an invite to the private room and absolutely fell in love with the V80FD. He spent years and years desperately trying to find out if one existed so he could buy it. I think eventually he got an FS1R; he thought the SY77 was cheating, as it had samples in it.

mike


Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: marino] #3004770 08/24/19 01:08 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 176
Dr Mike Metlay Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by marino
Originally Posted by DrSynth
A few years later when processing power dropped significantly in price, Yamaha made an 8 note poly version of the VP1 (the original was 16), packaged in an AN1x / CS1x 5 octave keybaord / standard controller format to make a $1995 pricepoint -- kinda like the VL70m was a trickle down of the VL1. We showed it to various artists / studio players down at Buena Park, and to call the reception 'tepid' would be an overstatement, all because without the controllers of the original, the sound is flat with just velocity and a single mod wheel input.

Wow, thanks for this info - I had never heard of that!
Btw the AN1x also had aftertouch and a ribbon... just add a BC, a couple of sliders and a pedal input... smile


I miss my AN1x. They were fun little synths with a fair bit of expressive playability, even if the programming interface was a tad kludgey. Mine had had its case partly melted by a hot stage light; it worked perfectly but was kinda sad-looking. I named it "Lumpy".

rockit


Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: marino] #3004805 08/24/19 11:22 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Synthoid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Originally Posted by marino
Originally Posted by Synthoid
I think it's safe to say the Telharmonium was a "one of a kind."

[Linked Image from reaktorplayer.files.wordpress.com]



Well, three of them were made... and the second one was even moved, from Maine to Washington IIRC - using 40 trucks!


Three?

[Linked Image from barkpost.com]


When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3004878 08/24/19 11:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,195
marino Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,195
Originally Posted by Synthoid
Three?

Yep - three successive versions. The first one was little more than a prototype... it weighted "only" 7 tons. grin The second and third topped 200 tons. freak

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: marino] #3004896 08/25/19 02:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,371
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,371
As far as I can tell, the Hammond organ was mostly a miniaturized Telharmonium, right?


-Tom Williams
<First name><At>AirNetworking<dot>com
PC361, PX-5S, AX-Edge
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Tom Williams] #3004946 08/25/19 03:38 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,760
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,760
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
As far as I can tell, the Hammond organ was mostly a miniaturized Telharmonium, right?


Yup, instead of 200 tons they were 300 pounds

Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Dr Mike Metlay] #3005050 08/26/19 05:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 77
D
DrSynth Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
D
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by Dr(!)Mike Metlay
Originally Posted by DrSynth
Originally Posted by Dr(!)Mike Metlay
Some favorites, off the top of my head:

Yamaha V80FD - only one prototype made, Yamaha reportedly had it crushed when the project was cancelled



Actually 4-6 protos were built of the V80 IIRC, as we had at least 2 here in the US and 2 in Hamamatsu. We demoed 2 in a private room at the Hilton for 1989 Anaheim NAMM showing to press and dealers. I was really fond of it, as is pushed the limits of what 6 OP sine wave FM was capable.

Right call to cancel it as it was a somewhat kludgey stopgap to wait for the SY77 to come online. I'd posted on Soundcloud a few months ago the original demos I did with Scott Plunkett. Best aspect of it was the 'modular' expansion feature that evolved into the later PLG cards, though that was never operational before the plug was pulled.

I can confirm they were all crushed. Knowing its fate I conveniently managed to 'forget' to take mine back to Yamaha for quite a while, and it was the last one to go...

Manny


Hi Manny,

Thanks very much for this information! I have a dear friend and colleague in LA who, at the time of the 1989 NAMM Show, had managed to wangle an invite to the private room and absolutely fell in love with the V80FD. He spent years and years desperately trying to find out if one existed so he could buy it. I think eventually he got an FS1R; he thought the SY77 was cheating, as it had samples in it.

mike



I can understand his 'crush' on it -- I really dug the aesthetic of the V80FD as it was quite unique & retro modern in a kinda IBM Selectric sort of way. The solid 'clunk' of the large lighted buttons made programming it feel like you were programming a VAX or PDP mainframe. I hoped Yamaha would keep the design look for the SY77, but they decided to follow the more familiar V50 design style.

I've been trying to find polaroids I took of it before it got crushed but no luck so far...

Manny


People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: Synthoid] #3005143 08/26/19 05:35 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 6,862
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 6,862
Did they ever make more than a few of these?

[Linked Image from encyclotronic.com]

I actually got to play the Neuron...they were sharing a booth with Propellerheads at NAMM 200-something.

Or this?

[Linked Image from synthtopia.com]

And although they made more that two of these, I craved this thing so badly. It looked so cool. The "Symbal" pads were also hexagonal, but the pad wrapped around the edges. The terminal also seemed like it was from the future with its green vector display and trackball. I thought every pro was going to jump on that one despite the price tag. Now you can get the power of 50 of these in a $500 sampling multipad.

[Linked Image from simmons.synth.net]

Last edited by zeronyne; 08/26/19 05:42 PM.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: One of a Kind Synthesizers [Re: zeronyne] #3005147 08/26/19 05:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Synthoid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11,306
Originally Posted by zeronyne
Did they ever make more than a few of these?

[Linked Image from encyclotronic.com]

I actually got to play the Neuron...they were sharing a booth with Propellerheads at NAMM 200-something


Yes, it hit the stores, briefly.

A software version was available as well... with a funky controller:

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]




When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3