Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crazy Keyboard Solos

Any recommendations? Not fantastic performances of classics, like Eldar does "Tiger Rag", or someone who well-plays Chopin. Rather, an improvisation - perhaps a little over the top? I'll start.

Tony Perez with Iba A Se

[video:youtube]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't forget the great Cory Henry Lingus solo. It starts about 5 minute mark of the video.

This is the first one I thought of. Also any number of John Medeski solos...this is a great concert here. I've seen MMW twice and they are incredible.

Can't forget the great Cory Henry Lingus solo. It starts about 5 minute mark of the video.

That solo changed my brain the first time I saw it. It is everything I would love to do and will never, ever get close to. And the whole dynamic with Shaun Martin in the background is priceless. I like the point where he's, "OK, that's it, I'm out."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Seal's keyboardist used the Fantom to its fullest capabilities in that one performance I believe.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Seal's keyboardist used the Fantom to its fullest capabilities in that one performance I believe.

Maybe,- but where´s the "crazy keyboard solo" (see topic) in that clip ?

And I recognize the 2 Apple Powerbooks on the keyboard behind guitarist, both showing the same arrange window ...

To me that means on of these is redundant and the entire show is running from the other while the "band" plays along w/ that.

A.C.

Oooh. I saw McLaughlin/deFrancesco/Chambers on that tour.

God, I hated it. Except for about two pieces, it seemed like the most pointless noodling I"d ever heard.

I hate I missed it !

@Bradley B

Thx for sharing,- I enjoy now !

A.C.

Apparently I have a different definition of 'crazy' than you guys do. All of the above examples are very impressive in their own way, I guess, sorta?, but I wouldn"t call any of them 'crazy'. Except for the Seal video which was of course for the song 'Crazy', which I think was the point of the joke.

On the album BGM by YMO, the song '1000 Knives' has a keyboard solo break by Ryuichi Sakamoto where he"s not only playing this incredibly angular one step shy of cacaphony melody line, but he"s changing the timbre of the synth drastically as fast as he"s playing, with ring modulation, frantic LFO stuttering, enormous portamento swoops, and God knows what-all else. The whole solo is over in under a minute, but in the context of a relatively straightforward 1980s synth pop song, it"s like being hit by a car. You"re left gasping.

That"s my idea of 'crazy keyboard solo'. I"ll post a YouTube link if I can find one. YMMV.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Apparently I have a different definition of 'crazy' than you guys do. All of the above examples are very impressive in their own way, I guess, sorta?, but I wouldn"t call any of them 'crazy'. Except for the Seal video which was of course for the song 'Crazy', which I think was the point of the joke.

On the album BGM by YMO, the song '1000 Knives' has a keyboard solo break by Ryuichi Sakamoto where he"s not only playing this incredibly angular one step shy of cacaphony melody line, but he"s changing the timbre of the synth drastically as fast as he"s playing, with ring modulation, frantic LFO stuttering, enormous portamento swoops, and God knows what-all else. The whole solo is over in under a minute, but in the context of a relatively straightforward 1980s synth pop song, it"s like being hit by a car. You"re left gasping.

That"s my idea of 'crazy keyboard solo'. I"ll post a YouTube link if I can find one. YMMV.

Here it is, starts around the 2 minute mark

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Anything Michel Camilo.

Crazy keyboard gymnastics, but always joyful and musical.

Exactly :freak:

I'm always in awe of how he plays those crazy fast octave runs and repeats.

But I love even more his big band work, where his piano playing blends with the power of the full orchestra, especially the horn section. His album "One more once" is simply one of the most astounding pieces of music I've ever heard, in any genre. Period.

And having Anthony Jackson on bass tends to help, too ;)

While we are on Cory Henry, his Purple Rain solo imprinted hard the first (and 100th) time I watched/listened to it. For me this performance is a little like listening to "Strange Fruit," in that I have to clear time on either side if I am going to spin it.

Solo starts about 3:40.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

This is my current favorite...

Jon Lord - Deep Purple

Piano & Organ intro to "LAZY", from 1999: "LIve in Australia - Total Abandon"

Message to Jon:

This is AMAZING!!! I hope you're rockin' it up there as well as you did down here!

Wish you were still with us.... What an intro!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Oooh. I saw Mclaughlin/deFrancesco/Chambers on that tour.

God, I hated it. Except for about two pieces, it seemed like the most pointless noodling I"d ever heard.

I hate I missed it !

@Bradley B

Thx for sharing,- I enjoy now !

A.C.

I got to hear this group on this tour and I found the experience to be exciting. Joey was young and gifted. I am pretty sure that most 23 year old musicians have a tendency to play a lot of notes, if they are able. Given Joey"s considerable chops and the excitement of being pushed by Chambers and Mclaughlin, it is not surprising that this is dense music. While I can respect that this might not have been Bradley B"s cup of tea (as I too am often baffled as to why certain artists" music appeals to people), I heard nothing in the concert that I attended or in this clip that I would classify as 'noodling' or 'pointless'. I am hearing the musicians execute logical lines. (I continue to work on my ability to 'hear faster'. That might make a good topic for a thread some day....)