Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Goofy Mic - or A Donor Cadaver

There's been some mostly tongue-in-cheek discussion of the Excelvan BM-800 microphone over on the Pro Recording Workshop forum. One of the serious techs sprung for the $22 and took one apart. No reports on the sound yet, but maybe it would be an alternative to the more expensive MXL 990 carcass for a DIY mic.

Check it out The take-apart starts on Page 3, but by all means, watch the video first.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Mike! We threw some darts at this video recently too:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3001628/fantastic-mic-demo-video-but-maybe-not-how-you-expect#Post3001628

It's gloriously bad -- so bad that it's racking up the views on Youtube and therefore doing a stellar job of promoting the microphone.

It's not a great donor mic, though, assuming it is anything like the other BM-700/BM-800 mics I've seen. They are made of the cheapest parts on the market -- really thin metals, bad plating, goofy colors, fragile accessories, etc. The total cost to manufacture this can't be above about $7, so nobody should expect much.

For anybody who bought one of these with DIY in mind, there is one ready-made option. I adapted the audio circuit from the Schoeps CMC5 to fit these mics. Coupled to a selected medium-diaphragm capsule, this yields a surprisingly nice microphone, with a full frequency response, no high-frequency hype, moderately low noise. I'm not sure it sounds very good if you sing into the end of it like in the video though. :facepalm:

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com

The thumbnail still was enough for me. "Works better if you sing into the right end, mate."

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The thumbnail still was enough for me. "Works better if you sing into the right end, mate."

That's what we all thought on first look. Then I noticed that in the description, it says that the mic works with or without phantom power. And somewhere in there I saw the word "dynamic" and considered the possibility that there might be a cardioid element in the end and maybe what looks like a condenser capsule visible through the side of the mic was just there for show. But Alan's take-apart proves that idea was incorrect.

Mike, don't stop at the still image. It's worth watching. I've seen it several times. It's gloriously bad in so many ways that it transcends its demo-video intent and becomes surreal entertainment.

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com

Mike, don't stop at the still image. It's worth watching. I've seen it several times. It's gloriously bad in so many ways that it transcends its demo-video intent and becomes surreal entertainment.

WHAT DID I JUST WATCH I CANT EVEN

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Even I know that video's totally ridiculous crap! Wow!

"Good voice start here" "Blue shining and outstanding" "Silver metal built" "Electronic sound effects" "Reverberation effects" "Sonic boom effects"

:stooges::waitwhat::lolol: W T F . . . !?

They didn't even use their own mic to record the 'narrator', instead using a cheesy simulated voice... ! :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _