Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our Keyboard Talents Are a Gift...

I'm new here... I guess this is my way of introducing myself...

I've joined recently and posted about Hammonds, Leslies, Hammond Chops (like the one I did at UMass) or replied on some other posts because I'm getting back into keyboards and I didn't want to lose the "Gift" I'd been given -- my keyboarding skills. Whether you do or don't believe in God, another deity, intelligent design, or if you believe only in yourself, isn't the issue... (Let's leave it at that...) I still believe my keyboarding skills are a GIFT that no one else in my family has had before, or after me.

The journey that brought me to this terrific website came from my moving into a sales role where I may spend 150 nights a year in a hotel... Some of them have spinet or grand pianos in the lobby that sit -- largely unused -- and so, after a 15 to 25 years break from seriously playing the keys, I have started to sit down and just play... But man, were my chops RUSTY.............. (Like the Tin Man from Oz...) It didn't help that my songs were mostly from the 70s or 80s, from my days in the rock bands, OK maybe with a few older tunes mixed in; but I was nowhere as good as I used to be. And I knew I could do better...

Anyway...

My Mom just passed before Christmas of 2018, and there were some $$ made available to my brothers and I after everything was settled, Something hit me soon afterwards telling me "Not to lose the gift I'd been given" -- yeah, maybe it was my Mom's spirit, as she always nurtured and supported my playing. So a part of me is doing this in her memory, but mostly it's because I feel like I was "wasting away" being away from the keys for so long... So now I've invested in an Apex AX-48 Pro stand, a Roland e-piano (with weighted keys), an awesome Crumar Mojo 61, and just recently, I've added a Yamaha MX49 to my stack. (Think I've run out of room on my stand...) Oh, and a Mackie Thump 12A. Sure, there are better boards out there (although the Mojo 61 is damn good!), but I think this setup should serve me well for a few years.

* I have no knowledge of MIDI... (Isn't that a skirt from the 70s?)

* Back in the day, if I wanted "X sound" from my Moog, I'd have to figure it out on my own...

* There are no computers connected to my keyboards... (Yet...)

* I don't have the gigging experience you all do, and I don't know what DAW is yet...

But I DO appreciate the wide variety of topics, experience, opinions and love for the new and old instruments shown on this board.

So I guess I'm not the only one with this "gift"...

Thanks to all those who contribute the interesting and informative posts, as I'm sure learning a lot! (Guess I'm from the "old school"...)

I'll still around here for sure.

Old No7

81zRFvd.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the crowd, from a fellow newcomer!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Welcome! So much knowledge on here it's scary. And lots of really cool and interesting people who are generous with their experience, wisdom and opinions. By the standards of social media, it's very civil too.

I've met existing and made new friends on here. It's a valuable resource which I'm confident you'll enjoy being part of.

A gift or a curse. I might have amounted to something if I hadn't been a musician and had focused on Science and Engineering

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

A gift or a curse. I might have amounted to something if I hadn't been a musician and had focused on Science and Engineering

I feel the same as you about this, Ed.

too late now to change anything.

Anyway, welcome to Old No 7. :wave:

:nopity:

I too appreciate the gift I have. I have been playing over 40 years and enjoy it as much today as I did in high school. I am fortunate enough to play in a couple different country/classic rock bands and also perform in a duo where I create all the backing tracks myself. I usually get to play out 4-5 times a month. After a long day at work it's the best therapy to come in to my make shift man cave/music room and play some notes and forget about the day. I've always liked the technology with music so I try and stay on top of the latest gear and techniques. The internet has become such a great asset for musicians and I use it extensively. I love the different forums and recently found this one so this is my first post. I love reading everything I can on them. I also use online sites such as Jamkazam and Soundjack to meet and collaborate with other musicians live online. I even rehearse my duo online with my singer. As a bass player friend of mine says the keyboard players are always on top of the technology. It's always great to hear that someone is getting back in to music. Best of luck.

Welcome!!! This forum along has been a cornerstones of my development into a performing musician. The wealth of information and forum members willingness to help has been indispensable. This truly is a unique and wonderful place

A GIFT??? While part of my musical ability is a gift that other people don't have, many other people do possess musical talent. Yet 90% of my musical "Gift" or talent is based upon hard work.

As Thomas Edison said "Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration".

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Good to see you here, Seven.

Lots of old-school folks on this forum, including myself. All the tech midi, computers, vst's and stuff are just fun toys to play around with at your leisure.

~ vonnor

P.S.: I wanna see close-ups of the panels on the wall there. :D

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Appreciating and playing music has truly been a gift for me. With regards to feeling rusty, as a young 'un I studied classical piano for over a decade, then toured the Great Lakes circuit played in various bands back in the 70"s when you could earn a decent living that way. Then I quit playing for almost 20 years, and opened a retail business. Quitting playing was a mistake. It has taken 20 years to get some of my chops back. Now I"m semi-retired, and teaching keys at the School of Rock. I enjoy playing again!

Especially recently... a month ago today I underwent major open heart surgery to replace and reconstruct part of my heart. It was listening to music that got me through my time in the hospital. That, and simply the thought of sitting down in front of a keyboard and playing again when I got home!

This truly is a great place to learn. I read more than I post and feel I learn a lot here. I"m in my 60"s and my screen name is something I plan on doing until I"m gone. A good song can make me cry. That is music"s gift to me, and one I hope I never lose.

And my condolences on the loss of your Mom. It sounds like she was a great influence on who you are today.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Thanks to all for the welcome and the variety of comments.

Yes, lots of rust here to clean up on my chops, and lots to learn too with all the new technology!

Related to what others have said...

* Music is THERAPY!

* And after the initial investments in equipment, it is largely FREE and something that no one can take away from us.

Here you go... That's my lab ("Jack Daniels") with the keyboard heroes of my youth. (There were others too, but these are the top 4...)

XgACwpu.jpg

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Definitely a GIFT at this stage of my life. It all worked out OK, even if I never did become a famous rock star. ;)

Steve Coscia

Definitely a gift (although it does take considerable work to make something of that gift). Welcome. After a cataract/glaucoma operation, it's like I have new sight again and can see/read the music. Taking a good bit of time just to get back what I lost in the past few years.

Rick is pretty much a daily poster on Twitter (with some really funny posts). Right now, he is working on Christmas music for upcoming shows.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I've been playing so long that I cannot remember NOT knowing how to play.

It is a real gift to be able to play. I hear so many people that are basically "Button Pushers" when it comes to their playing. They hit the right notes at the right time, but there is now expression in their playing.

I've learned that the majority of people here either have the ability to put that expression into their playing, or really want to be able to. Those of us that know how (I count myself in that group, though I know there are a LOT of people here better at it then me) have no qualms about sharing that knowledge.

We are a close knit community here, and with very few exceptions, all friends.

Welcome to the family

And I agree with dB. With heroes like that and a good dog, you'll fit right in. All 4 of them I can count as heroes, along with Dr. John, Art Neville, Greg Phillinganes, many more, and I have 2 dogs.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thanks

Here you go... That's my lab ("Jack Daniels") with the keyboard heroes of my youth. (There were others too, but these are the top 4...)

XgACwpu.jpg

Old No7

But what if you're bald?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Don't worry about the science/engineering versus music thing. I've done music for about 50 years, computers for almost 40 years, and I spent about a decade attempting to make a living from science and engineering. The music definitely has more joy, if less money.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I believe as you do it's a gift -- largely (but not entirely) based on genetics. And some sort of higher power. Don't get me started, this universe can't be some random accident.

Some people squander their gifts, others invest heavily. I am the latter. I am grateful and humble for the most part. Again, a gift.

Like many here, I faced the fork in the road early in life -- pursue my musical dreams, or pursue a safer, well-paying career. I chose the safer road, and have no regrets as I step into retirement. Jeez. I'm playing my @ss off most nights (rehearsals and gigs), which is all I want at this time. And, thanks to career decisions, money is not a major concern. Pure joy.

The money from music is completely incidental, and helps justify my obsession with my darling wife of 35 years. Maybe I can pay down my gear investment in like, the next century?

Engaging music lights up my brain like a pinball machine. The buzz is sublime, almost addictive. It's a lot like good s*x, without the complications. I've become good enough (at music, ahem) that I can be much more selective of who I want to play with. I am pursued by the local elite, although it's a rather small frog pond. It's become a mutual admiration society. And, best of all, it's a collaborative environment where we're all making each other better.

Welcome to the forum Old No7. Lots of late bloomers (like myself) here, willing to aid you in your journey as you require. When I was working to find my place in the keyboard world, this forum was a lifesaver. It's a precious resource to many of us.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

That's a very healthy starter setup. Depending on your tastes, you may eventually want a better piano, but anything Roland above the My First Keyboard models will offer meaningful variety there. I would encourage you to take up a DAW for both the variety of options and the focus that come with it. At the very least, its a smart way to get the Yamaha's patch set in hand. You can add an editor pretty easily with most recent synths and make patch changes as simple embedded commands on a single track. Since you've never tried MIDI, a DAW may seem a bit premature, but OTOH, its a good way to see exactly what the signal flow of a piece is about. I'm certainly no power user, but even the most basic level of Logic behaves like the biggest multi-track tape deck you could imagine. Or, if you have an iPad, do a bit of searching and see if there is an MX editor that will run on that model. That could hand you an editor but often, a patch librarian as well. That would be a simple, non-DAW way to get more from your synth. My 2 cents, as you get rolling.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese