Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weird question...

What do you do on stage when you're not playing?

At a recent festival gig, the organiser filmed us, and I look really dorky if I'm not playing. I'm kind of shuffling in time to the drums, making little waving motions with my fists.The music is disco/funk, so loads of breakdowns, and Chic-style "construction kit" builds. In other words, I might regularly not play for 16-32 bars. Cue "Dorky Mike"!

What do you do on stage when not playing, and how dorky do you look?

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whip out, light your lighter and burn a fart.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I'm always active on stage whether playing or not. If it's a song with no keys, I'll often play rhythm guitar. I usually do backup vocals. Otherwise, I dance.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I feel it's my duty that every minute I'm on stage I'm responsible for entertaining, and typically that means projecting the confidence that I know what I'm doing up there and am taking the initiative to lead the audience.

Often this means leading them in clapping (on 2 and 4 dammit), engaging with folks on the dance floor visually, dancing or otherwise moving as an audience might expect an entertainer to behave. Can't ever project being disengaged, distracted, preoccupied by something other than the music we're playing. Genre and context make a big difference (jazz or funk gig? uptempo burner or ballad? dance club or corporate event?) of course, but that's just common sense. But the universal principle is if I'm on stage, I'm an entertainer.

my 0.02.

I try and behave as the music dictates. Which will be one or more of:

- standing stone still

- dancing, clapping

- interacting with backing vocalist if they're also on down time (dancing, clapping, having fun)

- watching the soloist in reverent awe

- swaying gently with eyes shut loving every minute of the incredible music being played

- helping the lead vocalist convey the lyrical messages (ie if they point at the crowd in disgust I might shake my head at them in disdain)

- completely leaving the stage if I'm not required for the entire song (pretty rare).

Similar to what Tim said above, I operate on the theory that at any given point in time maybe about 10% of the audience happens to have their eyes on me. They've paid their money so I try and give them something half interesting to look at, and play as a team with the rest of the band.

I feel it's my duty that every minute I'm on stage I'm responsible for entertaining, and typically that means projecting the confidence that I know what I'm doing up there and am taking the initiative to lead the audience.

Often this means leading them in clapping (on 2 and 4 dammit), engaging with folks on the dance floor visually, dancing or otherwise moving as an audience might expect an entertainer to behave. Can't ever project being disengaged, distracted, preoccupied by something other than the music we're playing. Genre and context make a big difference (jazz or funk gig? uptempo burner or ballad? dance club or corporate event?) of course, but that's just common sense. But the universal principle is if I'm on stage, I'm an entertainer.

my 0.02.

I'm with Tim. Remember to smile. .

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

This is actually a real issue for electronic musicians, since modular synthesizers, laptop-based rigs, and alternative controllers are often even less exciting to watch than traditional keyboards. "Oh look dear, he's checking his email!"

We all know the joke about the DJ who must be making changes with his willy since stuff is happening while he's pushing both hands in the air and jumping up and down.... but at least that culture has some preprogrammed moves that the audience gets into.

When I'm on stage and not playing, I am usually staring intently at the people who are, and even though I'm usually smiling, I never look at the audience. That's because my bands are live improv troupes most of the time, and if you're not paying close attention to what everyone else is doing, you're headed for a train wreck of biblical proportions...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Wow some serious answers for a topic so ripe for parody and mocking.

try to stay in touch with the music.
at any given point in time maybe about 10% of the audience happens to have their eyes on me. They've paid their money so I try and give them something half interesting to look at, and play as a team with the rest of the band.
The following students get a gold star: S, Wat, NQ. You've hit on perhaps 80% of my problem - I find it easy to zone out and daydream if I'm not playing. I need to work on that.

I tried out an interesting shaker the other day: four eggs arranged in a cross shape. More volume than one egg, more controllable than maracas (because you're holding it at the centre of gravity).

(but please don't wear a fake afro).
I remember that thread!

Otherwise, I dance.
There's a thread-in-waiting right there. How to dance on stage and look cool. I can't dance for toffee.

(on 2 and 4 dammit)
This video is essential viewing:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3iaURppQw

Cheers, Mike.

There was a thread about fake afros? Unless everyone agreed that they're worse than wearing shorts on stage, I don't wanna read it.

Didn't someone once post a video of a Japanese funk cover band, all in blackface and wigs? Crazy.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I enjoy the music and try not to direct attention to myself. The reason I'm out is because someone else is the focus. If there's a breakdown bongo section then the bongoist [yeah, it's a word!] should get the spotlight.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Play some small hand percussion gives your something to keep from looking like a dork and can learn more about rhythm and finding holes to fill. Other than that walk off stage or behind the gear to get our of line of sight. Just don't be like some of the old L.A. Jazz pianists who went not playing would start conversations with someone sitting by edge of the stage or they start calling waitress to order another drink, last start smoking like a chimney.

I remember one night going to hear Lee Ritenour at the old Baked Potato when the stage had the edge of table right at edge of the stage. The big name piano player was sitting way back against the ball wall of stage next to the edge. He was chatting with I guess a friend even during songs. I one that got me was he was chatting while comping and came time for him to solo. He just raises a finger like hold on a second to the person he was chatting with and took his solo, soon as the solo was over he just started chatting again. If I was Lee I wouldn't came how big a name that pianist was, that would be his last gig with me, rather has a lessor player who's putting his heart into the gig.

Now as I'm mainly a guitarist and new to the keyboard world I would do like many now where the guitar and piano trade comping on choruses. When not playing just sit and listen intently watch the whoever the soloist is, smile or nod your head at a good solo. be like what you would want the audience to be like, involved in listening.

What do I do when I'm not playing?

Play tamborine

Air keyboards

Air drums

Air guitars (including the grimaces)

Mock the lead singer behind his back

Check for texts on my mobile

Update my grocery list

Make out with my GF

Comb my hair

Pick my nose

Go into Syd Barrett stare mode

Munch on burger from the kitchen

Munch on cute chick working in the kitchen

Finish my plan for world peace

Read a good novel

Sculp a work of art stone statue

Build the perpetual motion machine

Fill out stupid posts like this one

...lots of things. You just need imagination.

I don"t have an exact answer, but whatever you do, try to stay in touch with the music.
I played a festival gig yesterday, and I found this advice absolutely on the money. I tried to engage with the music, and remain "inside" the performance of the others, and it's simply a matter of focus and concentration. Something to keep working on.

Cheers, Mike.

I don"t have an exact answer, but whatever you do, try to stay in touch with the music.
I played a festival gig yesterday, and I found this advice absolutely on the money. I tried to engage with the music, and remain "inside" the performance of the others, and it's simply a matter of focus and concentration. Something to keep working on.

Cheers, Mike.

Glad I could help you Mike!

Rudy