Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something Big Coming Tomorrow to the Studio...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due jealousy, congratulations!

I have been Jonesing for years for an Allen -- it seems like every few months someone's either selling one cheap or giving one away -- but I seriously lack the space. I'm surprised it's the correct answer in this case, because I thought an Allen console with an AGO pedal board would be bigger than that.

That stop list is pretty nice -- a good selection of reeds, although I think I would have expected to see more principals/diapasons.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Nah, those are my shoes on the bench. I haven"t played in two years so they look new.

Excuse my utter noobness, but is there such a thing as shoes for organ players, or am I just not getting the joke?

Congratulations on the organ, it looks (and hopefully sounds) great!

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

I'm jealous! Looks like a decently spec'ed organ. Is it voiced more towards Baroque or more towards the French?

Let me get back to you on that. The chiff certainly goes a long way in sounding baroque but I"m no expert on voicing.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Word of advice: don't build things up to be bigger than they are. It might have been interesting. Instead, more like "oh, that's it?"

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

With all due jealousy, congratulations!

I have been Jonesing for years for an Allen -- it seems like every few months someone's either selling one cheap or giving one away -- but I seriously lack the space. I'm surprised it's the correct answer in this case, because I thought an Allen console with an AGO pedal board would be bigger than that.

That stop list is pretty nice -- a good selection of reeds, although I think I would have expected to see more principals/diapasons.

An AGO console is larger. Closer in dimensions to 56'x54' with pedals attached. This one has the 'princess pedalboard' as it"s called. Shorter sharps, less spacing, and less depth, but still 32-note and concave/radiating. I would prefer AGO, but the price was right and I didn"t have to hire movers, which is what"s prevented me from getting certain instruments in the past, due to cost. ($6000 from AZ to MN for an organ not worth more then $500? No thanks.)

I was also surprised at the stoplist in that regard. I"m a huge fan of a nice 2" Principal, which this organ doesn"t have, just a 2" flute. But again the price was right.

My favorite stoplist on an organ was that of a Baldwin D422 organ I played at my old church. That was one massive organ (even in the tab setup ours had vs drawknobs)

âââ-

Pedal

Untersatz 32

Principal 16

Soubasse 16

Lieblich Gedeckt 16

Octave 8

Gedeckt 8

Choral Bass 4

Block Flöte 2

Rausch Pfeife III

Bombard 16

Trumpet 8

Schalmei 4

Great to Pedal

Swell to Pedal

Great

Principal 8

Holz Gedeckt 8

Unda Maris II

Octave 4

Rohrflöte 4

Super Octave 2

Mixture IV

Trumpet 8

Tremulant

Swell to Great

Swell

Lieblich Gedeckt 16

Chimney Flute 8

Viole 8

Viole Celeste 8

Harmonic Flute 4

Principal 4

Nazard 2 2/3

Flute Conique 2

Tierz 1 3/5

Sifflöte 1

Scharf III

Fagott 16

Trompette 8

Clarion 4

Tremulant

APS Voices System - digital sounds freely assignable to great, swell or pedal alone or in combination with the organ stops - these are from memory with the exception of the percussions which I have a picture of.

Percussion: Chimes, Handbells, Celesta, Piano, Harpsichord, Harp

Choir: Strings 1, Strings 2, Brass 1, Brass 2, Choir, Synth (like a Poly 80 General Midi pad type sound)

Orchestral: Flute, Oboe, Trumpet, English Horn, Clarinet? Whistle?

Generals

Tremulants Full

Bass Assist

Transpose

Midi

Antiphonals On

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Word of advice: don't build things up to be bigger than they are. It might have been interesting. Instead, more like "oh, that's it?"

It is 'big' in size. It was intended as fun, as clearly stated in the first phrase of the original post. And it is evidently of interest to some here. No worse than Theo"s tech posts (which I sometimes like), is it really? Also my signature line already lists several organs, and I did say in my op that it was not a top of the line model. This was supposed to be fun. And from what I can tell it was for at least some people. At least I didn"t reveal a gigantic piano shell for a Volca setup.

I"m sorry if it"s not your type of thing. I don"t read much of the Spacestation and Mojo threads, so...to each their own.

Edit: since the topic is organs, I could just give the standard, 'You do not play, therefore you know nothing and are not worthy of my time. I play the king of instruments, anything else is inferior' that some of the more snobby organists ones like to use. But I hate that, so... ;) Thanks for the advice.

Nah, those are my shoes on the bench. I haven"t played in two years so they look new.

Excuse my utter noobness, but is there such a thing as shoes for organ players, or am I just not getting the joke?

Congratulations on the organ, it looks (and hopefully sounds) great!

No worries. Organ shoes are important in learning and playing with heel-and-toe technique on the pedals. Not everyone uses them but a lot of organists do. I started in socks and then went to shoes at the recommendation of my teacher. I much prefer them now. I use a pair of Organmasters.

Here"s a good explanation: https://organistheidi.com/9-questions-organ-shoes/

https://www.organ.byu.edu/ORSHOE.html

No worries. Organ shoes are important in learning and playing with heel-and-toe technique on the pedals. Not everyone uses them but a lot of organists do. I started in socks and then went to shoes at the recommendation of my teacher. I much prefer them now. I use a pair of Organmasters.

Here"s a good explanation: https://organistheidi.com/9-questions-organ-shoes/

https://www.organ.byu.edu/ORSHOE.html

I did not know that, thank you so much for the info!

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

I only studied organ for a couple of years at the end of my classical piano career. I wore a pair of dress shoes that I already owned to play pedals. They had a thin sole which was smooth leather, and a low heel, also leather. Try playing pedals with sneakers and you will immediately understand as your foot welds itself and refuses to slide.

The very last piece I was working on (before I left music school to rock and roll full time) was a pedal study on Eine Feste Burg. It was 4 parts feet only - no hands! You are playing moving 4 part chords, each foot playing a note under the heel and under the toe. A higher heel than I had would have definitely helped.

Moe

---

I assume that when you put the speakers back in the organ cabinet, you'll naturally add MIDI Outs for each keyboard. Oh c'mon, you know you want them. Even as close to full swell as you can get, it probably has a rather gentle character. I'm spoiled by synths that can roar. As Billy Connolly says, "I don't want 72 virgins, just give me two fire-breathing *hoors*!"

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Let"s have some fun. Post your guesses as to what this item is. I"ve needed to entirely rearrange 90% of the music room/studio and redo the cord running and electrical cabling for it. It"s going to take up an area 51.5'x 48'. Made very well, not the top of the line but quite a decent piece of gear. Being delivered tomorrow morning.

Guesses?

At that size, I am assuming that you"re either installing a mixing console or a really big vintage keyboard of some kind... Something like a big console organ. But my smart money is on a mixer. :-)

Congratulations on the new big console organ. May it bring you lots and lots of joy!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music