Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips/guidance for piano player learning organ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue is that there are two entirely different populations of people playing clones: those working "down" from consoles, and those working "up" from AP/DP/non-organ playing. For those working "down," there are elements of console playing they would argue are indispensable to "proper" clone playing. For those working "up," many of those items are arguably meaningless and even extraneous. If someone wanted to know how to play ORGAN, I'd direct them to the "console down" path. But if what they want to know is how to play a clone organistically and respectfully, there are perhaps some separate considerations when going in the "AP/DP up" direction.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Yeah but the point is a real console will prepare you better for any clone. You need a reference point.

I'd also need a van and a chiropractor on retainer, at my stage of life.....

Sure I think the point is as I said a reference point. At least for a beginner.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Other than Hammond, also look at the Yamaha organs like the YC-30/45D. I personally like the sound, never used one but I like the way some songs I listen to do.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

As a supplement to Samuel's Booker T video, the author here deals with the crawl technique in the first part of this video. The rest of the video gets into more advanced information about drawbar settings vs register and voicings. As a sidebar, I do notice that the gospel guys tend to double chord voices a lot more than I was taught to do. The dense sound seems to work well for them.

[video:youtube]

As a supplement to Samuel's Booker T video, the author here deals with the crawl technique in the first part of this video. The rest of the video gets into more advanced information about drawbar settings vs register and voicings. As a sidebar, I do notice that the gospel guys tend to double chord voices a lot more than I was taught to do. The dense sound seems to work well for them.

[video:youtube]

Much more directly instructional than the Booker T video -- this is cool for me to watch, particularly since I'm enamored with gospel organ, but have very little understanding of how it's actually executed, because I've only really investigated it when applied in a rock or soul setting, where the pedals don't come into play. If I'm playing a Faces song, I'm more likely to be playing a chord in my right hand while using my left to adjust drawbars and occasionally gliss or slap the keys percussively. Or comp on the Wurlitzer.

But now I'm gonna spend a little time with that voice leading exercise. That's what I want to work into my playing!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

What I like most about the Hammond Organ 101 vid is the idea of playing the 3rd or 7th in the left hand, rather than the root note of the chord. Maybe this is not new to experienced organ players, but it's new to me and I'll be playing around with it in the future. I like what it does -- it keeps the chords more open and stays out of the way of the bass player.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

3-7 voicings are elemental to all keyboardery. Especially piano. But with organ it depends on the registrations. 3s can get really messy on a Hammond. Often In rock stuff you need to stay on the 1s and 5s. Sort of counterintuitive to what you learn in piano improvisation and performance theory.

A favorite Hammond thing of mine is to sub the relative chord. Like playing a Eb chord in place of a Cm in a minor blues. But if you pull a bunch of bars out too far it can sound like ass. This ain't anything new all players know this but with organ when it works it's great when it don't it's a mess of overtones.

Which I guess gets us to one difference. The general guidelines for

Hammonds are less pedantic than voicing and harmony rules for piano. It's the nature

Of the Instrument. It's why memorizing registrations is usually a waste of time. Different registrations work differently on different organs. Even clonewheels. The XK3c was better after I loaded Jimmy's custom tone wheel set. Before that I never pulled straight 8s. The damn thing was too bright on the sizzle bars. Usually would get by with something like 888886666. Just use the ears.

I rambled too much. This post probably sucks. Situation Normal, All ........

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Often In rock stuff you need to stay on the 1s and 5s.
Yeah, I'm a basic blues/rock guy so that's my go to voicings. I like being able to move away from that.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Sorry for being slow to respond to this thread/post. Yes, that is indeed Billy Preston. His great work is all over this recording. If you can find one of the later reissues of the CD they bring the organ up a little in the mix and have some complete performances they had edited down on the original LP. There is also an LP and reissued CD of King Curtis and the Kingpins from the original performances. I think they did the first set & then Aretha did the main sets. This particular performance is different than the one on the original release. They did at least 2 nights at the Filmore, possibly 3. Much great Hammondizing to learn from Billy on both recordings.

quote=Bradley B]This is Aretha, I think from the '71 Grammys. It is interesting that the overlaid video is shot across the Hammond so we get to see the action. I was told by someone that the pinky ring was a clue that it was Billy Preston on the B3, though I have nothing other that that. Whether or not, it was a masterful performance of just the things discussed here earlier. Drawbar selection, expression pedal and note choice to complement the song.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/Ro1Yqbal-Bo

How many of you will still bring a console organ to a gig?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

How many of you will still bring a console organ to a gig?
There are a couple of guys in my area who do. Both have chopped B3s and a van (or at least the band has a van). Personally, my Wurli and my Clavinet are as heavy and big as I want to lug around.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I have a local kb player friend that still prefers to haul his B-3 and leslie. He's in his 60's and is my hero for doing this. Right now his organ is wounded and we have a scanner rebuild ahead of us. He is extremely antsy!

His organ is not chopped at all and has been his constant companion since he bought it brand new in the early 70's. He pulls a trailer, straps it on ROKs, rolls his leslie in with bench on top, and can be set up in 5 minutes. The only place he uses a clone is if it has stairs.

Moe

---

Sal Azzarelli told me that unless your playing organ 90% of the time it's not worth it to bring to a gig. I saw a Grateful Dead/Jam band last year and the guy had a chop and didn't know how to use it effectively and when he did it was ineffective.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com