Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo Rhodes songs?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not solo by any means but Herbie takes not one but two solos on the Rhodes in this track. This is one of my favorite tracks with Jaco just killing it. Herbie's Rhodes has just the right balance between bell and bark.

[video:youtube]

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Finding this a few months ago, I was fascinated by the choice of cover and the adaptability of the music to the Fender Rhodes.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Did I mention, this is a completely solo album as are at least two more by this artist. His cover of Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key of Life" is good as well.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

One of my favorite "Rhodes" songs. It's mostly solo, with just a taste of the band in the middle verses...

I had seen more than one live performance by Billy Joel playing and singing "James". One video I saw of him playing Just the way you are, he was using a Stage Piano. Hmm. The only thing the stage piano had was a volume control and bass boost. If its one thing the Rhodes didn't need was bass boost. I had an early felt tip Rhodes stage piano and it didn't cut through a band. It had to be run through an amp with horns and the tone set at the amp so it could be heard. :rawk:

I didn't keep it very long, sold it.

I see in this video that Billy went with a Suitcase piano, which has both treble and bass sliders on the front panel as well as Stereo Tremolo that shifted front and back out through the speaker cabinet. I had that Rhodes when I went solo, along with an Electric grand, and Oberheim OBX and a DMX drum machine. What a great sound, even for the dark ages.

James was Billy Joel's brother's name. I played it live and on occasion, people would actually listen. :wacko:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Steven Halpern has many Rhodes only meditation albums. The Rhodes is great for this stuff.

Beat me to it. He's got some awesome stuff. Bob James does too but it's more Rhodes in an ensemble thing.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Just the intro is solo Rhodes but how about George Duke at the beginning of Zappa's "Eat That Question?"

That's a Wurlitzer, not a Rhodes.

I always thought that was a Rhodes but I looked it up and you're right, sort of. It's a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer at the same time. Rhodes in the left channel, Wurlitzer in the right channel.

hey Jon. Nice find. Mind referencing your source? Not fact checking you, I would really like to read about it, thanks. :thu:

I just typed "george duke eat that question rhodes wurlitzer" into google and got:

https://www.zappa-analysis.com/the-grand-wazoo.htm

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=30583&sid=5db2df00cf272b71c7ffeab0da9aa3b2

found a similar entry on this forum:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2052825/Re_Rhodes_Wurly_side_by_side_c

Joe Sample with Crusaders all Rhodes lead!!!

Various artist on Rhodes

I second this. He has a bunch of great Rhodes solos.

Also Bob James and Dan Siegel and Terry Trotter and Greg Mathieson. All great Rhodes players.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Gino Vannelli - Father and Son

And, Vannelli's "Omen's of Love", which is fantastic, but there's more instrumentation besides the Rhodes (amazing analog synth orchestrations thanks to Joe Vannelli). This song also has a wah effect on the Rhodes to great effect:

• 3 months later...