Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drummers are important

DavidFord

Hi Members

Just going over so of my videos on youtube, and with this studio function thingy, I noticed some of my vids are private. Prob to save some embarrassment at the time, but I uploaded this, I dont know, a song in the making thing, but thought Id share. A member from another site was going to work with me on a tune. He wanted a basic structure to work with. So I put down this lead (yes I know HEAVY flanger & reverb) Then I come in with this rhythm guitar a bit. I send it and he says "What, no drums?" Im like Shaun, you know I dont have anything other than the electronic per-programed thing. He tells me to go with it anyway. So the third track was a drum track. The fact it was so non-line up-able, this says why drummers are so important. Wow was I off beat etc :D:P

[video:youtube]

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drummers are WAY important.

For me, that rings the truest in recording. There arte so many options - drum machines, drum tracks, drum software...but at the end of the day, I alwyas get the best results with a Real Actual drummer.

These days, it's pretty easy too - so many drummers I know have a mic'd kit set up somewherer and a DAW setup nearby. We exchange a few files and we're good to go.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

When collaborating (especially if you're not going to ever be in the same room) the very first step always has to be to start with a click or a drum track. Some drummers hate playing to a click, which is fine if they can lay down the drum track first, but if not, a click is the only way. You can lay in a sequenced drum track as a place holder while you write the music, then replace it with real drums later. if there needs to be tempo changes, these can be worked in. There was a discussion over on Craig Anderton's SSS about that.

As for Live, it has always impressed me to play with drummers who can hear different band members pushing or lagging and manage to pull them all together to the right tempo.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Drummers are WAY important.

For me, that rings the truest in recording. There arte so many options - drum machines, drum tracks, drum software...but at the end of the day, I alwyas get the best results with a Real Actual drummer.

Man, if music could be coincided a religion, your statement would be on the 10 commandments (not that Im throwing religion at anyone) Nothing has impressed me more than a real drummer. Hands down.

At least we think we are ð

Yes you guys definetly are!! I can fluff, or twist just about anything, but when it comes to drums, they're either real or they're not. I think I prob spent over $800 worth of different drum machines, and $200 in a guitar center newbie drum set, for someone to learn it, and still have no access to a real talented drummer. Big waste of money. My biggest flaw in music, is zero drummers.

At J. Dan, your 100% correct. Best way to go about it. If you saw though, my comment to dboomer, it was my guitar work that came first (an idea recorded) and tried to find a beat that would fit what I did. I think if I had a drummer, I would definitely do the click track, and then have the drummer add-on after. I think I joined a handful of sites/forums in the past, just to find a great drummer open for projects. As far as the bass (even though Im lousy at it, and a different topic itself) I can do a real cheap simple track either using a keyboard, or use my whammy peddle, with divebomb (or what ever its called) and get by. But not when it comes to a drummer. Real is the way to go.

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

Probably not a bad idea to play to a metronome even if you aren't recording a click. We all get to a point where we don't think we need one anymore, but I started taking some lessons via FaceTime with a fairly famous keyboard player to work on some of my progressive metal chops, and he put me in my place in that regard. He told me to do all of my practicing and writing with the metronome, and he was right.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.