Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar/GSI - D9X Controller for clones

Guido has been busy! This is a big step up from the D9U. The prototype was posted on the Crumar site a few months ago - so looks like they have gone into production.

https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware/posts/2136775066413690

And a new company to support these products:

http://www.gmlab.it/

Good times!

• 3 weeks later...
I do like a good kit! I'm wondering if I could use something like this to control the organ engine in my Jupiter 80. Would be a huge help for those single board gigs.

Jupiter 80 uses sysex rather than MIDI CC for drawbar control, so I think it's unlikely. Though if you can find one, the Ocean Beach DB1 was able to do it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do like a good kit! I'm wondering if I could use something like this to control the organ engine in my Jupiter 80. Would be a huge help for those single board gigs.

Jupiter 80 uses sysex rather than MIDI CC for drawbar control, so I think it's unlikely. Though if you can find one, the Ocean Beach DB1 was able to do it.

Considering it's an open source project based on Arduino, it shouldn't be that hard to modify the sketch and have it send Roland's SysEx messages rather than CC events.

This is an interesting application for the GM.LAB MJU: turn the Mojo61B (the optional lower manual) into a stand-alone Midi keyboard.

Both the MJU and the M61B use Power-over-MIDI so the MIDI cable carries both MIDI data and power. In this case, the MJU is powering the M61B, receives its MIDI data and operates the "translation" into regular MIDI note events. Plus, it accepts a pedal input that can be configured either for a sustain pedal or for an expression pedal.

The full source code is on GitHub.

Considering it's an open source project based on Arduino, it shouldn't be that hard to modify the sketch and have it send Roland's SysEx messages rather than CC events.

Ah, that makes sense!

By the look of it, I think it's probably small enough to velcro to the top surface of a Gemini desktop module, yes?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I made a new sketch, derived from the original D9 sketch, that sends SysEx data for the supernatural toneweel organ in my FA07. I don't know if the Jupiter 80 uses the same SysEx code, but I'm pretty sure that will be easy to adapt.

I'll publish my effort as soon as possible, but I'll be travelling for work until the next week and don't have access to the code

p.s.

I haven't tested my code on the real D9, because some weeks before the D9's release, I built my own controller, but I tested the the sketch on the same arduino used in D9 and it compiles, so I'm pretty confident it's ok.

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

I made a new sketch, derived from the original D9 sketch, that sends SysEx data for the supernatural toneweel organ in my FA07. I don't know if the Jupiter 80 uses the same SysEx code, but I'm pretty sure that will be easy to adapt.

I'll publish my effort as soon as possible, but I'll be travelling for work until the next week and don't have access to the code

Very encouraging. Keep us posted. Very cool product.

• 4 months later...
D9X looks fantastic! My simple mind is wondering why there are no "program" buttons that would allow "one button" access to VB3 programs i.e. Jimmy S, Bright Solo, Brother Jack, etc. This would allow me to use a simple digital piano as a keyboard controller (I know it's not ideal) and "choose" VB3 programs from D9X front panel.

My simple mind is wondering why there are no "program" buttons that would allow "one button" access to VB3 programs i.e. Jimmy S, Bright Solo, Brother Jack, etc. This would allow me to use a simple digital piano as a keyboard controller (I know it's not ideal) and "choose" VB3 programs from D9X front panel.

That would be a bit complicated. You would need some way to program each button to send the desired Program Change, and to store that programming in the unit. Unless maybe you'd settle for, say, four buttons that send Program Change 1, 2, 3, and 4 and then you'd have to program the receiving end so that those 4 PC commands would call up the program you wanted. But you know, even most simple digital pianos can send out some program changes.

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be an input for an expression pedal nor leslie speed control. i would imagine that these will have to be sent via midi. There is no midi input, there is a mini jack which requires a mini jack to 5 pin connector to be purchased (I think).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

There is an input for expression pedal - stereo jack on the rear of the unit. By default the code maps this input to expression pedal.

// Reads 16 analog inputs (9 drawbars + 6 potentiometers + 1 expression pedal) using 2x CD4051 analog multiplexers.

// Buttons and static LEDs are attached to two MCP23017 I2C I/O Expanders.

// One PWM LED is directly attached to the Atmel.

It's easy to make a mini jack to MIDI cable but you don't need that with the Gemini as you can use the mini USB port.

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, Garubi said:

I recognize this is a 3+ year old comment, but has the setup to work with Roland's FA series supernatural tonewheel been made available anywhere?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, euraquilo said:

I recognize this is a 3+ year old comment, but has the setup to work with Roland's FA series supernatural tonewheel been made available anywhere?

Hallo Dan,

I found the sketch (I never published it...) and I posted it here: 

https://github.com/garubi/D9U-for-FA/

Consider that I haven't touched it since 2018 and never really tested it with the Crumar D9 (I built a similar device on my own and on it it runs fine).

I remember that I simply added/replaced the SysEx code for the FA in the original sketch by Crumar, so following they directions on including libraries etc you should be able to compile it. 

I ask you and others who will try the sketch, to post feedback, issues, etc: I'll love to have the script tested and working (maybe the right place for the feedback is the Github project issues page)

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro