Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fascination With Trains

I've been photographing trains since the 70's. For the last 30 years, I've been fortunate to live close to Strasburg here in Lancaster county, and often snap a few shots when I'm in the area.

This picture was taken last week with my new/old Canon 60D.

126.thumb.jpg.fc809fa0ebcd3bef70a4b7b397889c64.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trains make great shots. I took some photos of the Texas State Railroad a few years back that I liked so much I printed and framed some of them. I also got some cool pics at the Railroad Museum in Galveston before Hurricane Ike damaged it (I haven't had the chance to visit since it's been restored. I think it's been restored).

If I get a chance, I might pull up a few of those photos and share.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cool shot Synthoid!

I've always loved trains too. Railfanning is what got me more interested in photography in the first place. I saved up the money I earned from my summer landscaping job in high school and bought my first digital camera. This is a shot that I took back then that I'm still pretty proud of. I didn't know anything about photo editing back at the time, so this is a straight out of camera shot, but I got lucky that the light and colors in that moment didn't really need much adjustment anyways.

3555609422_a9152df2a3_z.jpg

Over and Under by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

And here's a shot from more recent times. I love this railroad (Wheeling and Lake Erie) because they always have a hodgepodge of locomotive power in assorted colors that they acquired from other railroads.

48165435922_dae724dc46_b.jpg

The Rainbow Road by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

Thanks. I was going for the color just leaping off the image for these. I really wanted them vibrant.

Train rides are fantastic, including long ones. It may possibly be the most civilized way to travel.

Train rides are fantastic, including long ones. It may possibly be the most civilized way to travel.

My favorite way to travel for vacation. Decent meals in the diner car, decent sleeper units, roomy, lounge car is great place to relax and enjoy the great views, no security screening, no construction delays, no truck traffic to dodge, someone else drives while you eat and sleep. I only wish there were more passenger routes, I have to drive two hours to board the train. Air travel has gotten much worse these days.

Air travel sucks. I'm not even THAT old, and I remember when you had more room, they gave you playing cards and food, and the plane wasn't crammed full of people, so if you wanted, you could often go to the back, stretch out on three seats, and go to sleep.

I have TSA Pre-Check now because they began rifling through bags and making you take everything out (not all the time...another maddening thing is that TSA is not very consistent in their policies), and after carefully packing everything in a bag for a trip, the last thing you want to do is take everything out of the bag, have someone rummage through it or lift it up, and then try and carefully put it all back. Oh, and then go retrieve your shoes, cellphone, and whatever else. Uhhh, no.

• 4 weeks later...
Cool shot Synthoid!

I've always loved trains too. Railfanning is what got me more interested in photography in the first place.

Same here! I still do it today, when free time allows. Not often though anymore. I am rusty.

I love a good wintertime snowfall. Or snow + fog. Here's a train about to get underway after a meet, as soon as the conductor restores the switch for mainline movement. Visibility was awful! They'd spent about ten minutes creeping up at walking speed so as to not run over the switch. And the view was no better in my car - at a couple of rural intersections I had to roll down my windows and listen if there were any other cars coming. It was crazy.

vq1f.jpg

Railfanning is what got me more interested in photography in the first place.

I prefer rail air conditioning myself. :laugh:

And Lou, that's a unique and mysterious shot there. I like it.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.