Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Original Apex stand value

I've owned my original Apex stand forever and after trying everything I always come back to it. I have the option with the longer lower tier and the mic boom attachment. The handle broke decades ago and I'm down to one cable catch. I lost one of the rubber feet recently. Last week the top plastic flap broke and my tiers are spilling out, I taped it with gaffe tape and it holds for a while, but this thing has been through hell over the last 25 years.

Today I saw one at Music Go Round for $80. The top (plastic flap) is like brand new perfect. All of the cable holds are perfect, and it has the handle. It is also missing a rubber foot. It's the model with all short tiers and no mic boom, and it's missing the column attachment at the floor that levels it (mine has that).

So I'm thinking I could combine the 2 and make one PERFECT stand. Is it worth it for $80?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan!

I still have my original APEX bought new in 1987. Also with the Superclamp that has the mic adapter.

For $80, I'd buy the one for sale if I were you.

New Superclamps are about $30 from the usual sources. Same with new Tri-Bar pairs.. $30 for a pair of13" and $40 for a pair of the 18"

I bought a "new" Apex a few years ago, and installed the modern mic adapter in the top. I use one of the Superclamps from my original and the new one to give me three tiers on certain occasion.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Absolutely go for it! I have two, one of which I got at least 25 years ago and still use all the time. Having a spare for parts was a great investment for me, and I think it will be for you too.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I would. I too still have my original Apex.

The mic attachment blew up a couple years ago and all the cable holders are gone. Handle broke within a year of buying it.

Still I used it for a gig on Sunday. I'm only putting my Krome 88 on it, but I discovered putting the second superclamp right under the one I'm putting the Krome on, helps stabilize everything.

I can get the keyboard as high as I like it for standing, and my damper pedal actually hooks onto the stand leg so it is right where I want it.

Sunday was a festival sort of gig where I needed to set up and strike fast.

I do miss the mic attachment though and while I did still have the hardware, the holes don't line up with the new superclamps.

I did contact Ultimate to order some new cable holders, which I never got around to doing, but I happened across my email conversation a couple days ago, so I may get on it now, as I made the decision I will still use the apex for most gigging. I'd definitely jump at one with all the bits and pieces for $80.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Ask them for a new handle as well. On my original, the handle broke after 5 years. They sent me the new style handle (no flopping), for free. That was in 1993 :)

If you still want to use the old style Superclamp mic attachment, you can find some original Superclamps on eBay now and then. I will say that the new style (AX48) with the mic attachment up top has been much better, for me. I've use it to mount a laptop stand as well.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I have a couple from years past, and still occasionally use mine for rehearsals for a quick small setup. I would offer $60 and see if they bite. Certainly worth it.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I bought it. Thanks for the feedback. After putting together the one best stand, I may keep the delapitated remains at our rehearsal space with a rogue controller and pedals so I only have to drag out my Kronos and. Dominion,

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.