Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On the injured list

Hey all

It`s been a while, partly because of what happened a few weeks ago.

We did one of our stage shows, the idea was to go from that venue to a nearby club

staffed by a couple of our members for an overnight party.

it was a weird night and kind of a long story but, the next morning I was returning with

my gear on a roller cart. I did exactly the opposite of what the announcements always say to do-`mind the gap`

between the train and the platform. I was watching the roller cart instead of my step. I fell pretty much straight down,

and hit my left knee and the thumb of my right (picking) hand.

Well let me tell ya folks, I highly recommend not doing that. It`s basically a bad sprain but, besides being ridiculously painful,

it`s almost impossible to avoid bumping into things. They don`t call them opposable thumbs for nothing, mine is definitely opposing me.

After three weeks, it`s still nowhere near back to normal. Later this evening I`m going to try some picking but I suspect it won`t last long.

Just have to wait it out I guess.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owe!! Sorry to learn that, sorry that you got injured, Skip!

I know from prior experience, way back when I was still a kid, what "sticking out like a sore thumb" means, and now so do you... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Give it a little time, but the best rehab is playing. I'm primarily keyboards, but I was playing keys, guitar, and sax in a band that played every weekend. On a Friday night unloading, I slipped on the wet dance floor and landed with my keyboard in my hands on the floor. Saved the keyboard but dislocated my thumb...at my wrist. If you can imagine the bone that goes from your wrist to your thumb, that whole thing just snapped back and wouldn't stay where it belonged unless I held it there. Canceled the Saturday night gig. Had surgery the following week with 2 pins pinning the bones together so my thumb stayed where it belonged. It was my left hand, so I couldn't play guitar or sax, but I managed to reorganize my keys parts. I could domright hand and my pinky finger of my left hand. Played both gigs the next weekend.

Afte 6 weeks the cast came off and I had a followup in 2 weeks to work out a rehab plan. I immediately started working on my stretch and strength playing the piano. At the rehab meeting, the doctor said I was advancing more than rehab would and to just keep doing what I was doing. It was a while before I could play guitar and sax a gain but I got there. It was painful for a while but my determining factor was never the pain, but instead if I could play adequately. Years later it still hurt to open a pickle jar but I was at least playing music very weekend.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK, not for the faint hearted....here are the pics.......

http://ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/Hand1.jpg

http://ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/Hand2.jpg

http://ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/Hand3.jpg

http://ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/Hand4.jpg

The second picture showed the 2 pins that pinned the bone that went to my thumb to the bone that went to my index finger. It was taken when they took off the soft cast before putting on the hard cast. When they took off the hard cast, they pulled those pins out with Pliers. They basically gave a little twist back and forth and a yank. My hand was kind of stuck in the cast position and it took a LOT of work before I could put that hand flat on a table. A LOT of stretching.

All I'm trying to say is YOU CAN DO IT, and that music is the best motivator. You'll be back playing in no time because you have a REASON to rehab yourself and play.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks all

Holy jeez J. Dan-I believe you made the GP Forums 10 most injured list!

Actually, my thumbs compare about the same as yours did.

Well I tried playing a bit. Mostly my thumb just felt weird.

I was thinking it wasn`t so bad, until I tried strumming some chords.

Not happening. Maybe a few more days.

Anyway thanks for the good words. I will check in with a progress report later.

Take care Skip. Work it but don't overdo it. I think it's important to maintain flexibility & movement, so don't let it stay stuck in one position. A little pain is OK, but a lot of pain is a clear message that you're doing too much. Heal up quickly, amigo.

:like:

Warmth for relief, speaking as someone who regularly comes home with aches and pains. Relaxes the muscles, thus relieving tension, both good things.

Try a heating pad wrapped up around the shoulder of your injured hand, too, helps relax the Brachial Plexus, where all the nerves in your arm and hand pass through. Hell, you're a Martial Arts guy, you probably know this better than I do.

Whatever you do, feel better soon!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Many thanks everyone

A few days ago, a friend said, look don`t fool around about this.

Go to a hospital and get it looked at. You could end up turning it from something temporary, into

something permanent. At first I said, bah, nonsense. I`ll be fine. Now I`m starting to think, she has a point.

I`ll try to go later in the week.

Martial arts and Eastern techniques in general, are great for preventing injuries, or for chronic conditions.

Once the manure hits the turbines, Western care is the way to go.

A few days ago, a friend said, look don`t fool around about this.

Go to a hospital and get it looked at. You could end up turning it from something temporary, into

something permanent. At first I said, bah, nonsense. I`ll be fine. Now I`m starting to think, she has a point.

I`ll try to go later in the week.

She does; and, please do, my friend. The worst thing that will result from going to such an appointment is your feeling better, faster.

Martial arts and Eastern techniques in general, are great for preventing injuries, or for chronic conditions.

Once the manure hits the turbines, Western care is the way to go.

I believe in combining and overlapping such disciplines and accumulated wisdom; the best of the best of the East and the West. Why not?

@ Skip, I think you should make an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in hand issues. An x-ray and a diagnosis won't hurt along with a pain killer if needed. I had to have surgery on my middle finger of my fretting hand 10 or more years ago, and it has been good ever since...It may be weeks before you get an appointment so think about starting right now. Best wishes and keep us updated! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Ugh. Well I am on my way to a birthday gathering for a member of our performing troupe. I figured I would be back late, so I got on my bicycle and went to the supermarket to get some premade food. On the way back, I was crossing a notoriously busy street. I crossed between the lights at an alleyway, which many people do. The lane for motorcycles and bikes is between the street and the sidewalk. I was looking there, and didn't see a guy coming on the other side, in the middle of traffic. He was going fast. I tried to get out of the way but he clipped the back of my bike and basically yanked it out of my hands. I stayed on my feet, no worries there. But for a moment I freaked. If he fell.. he was right into oncoming traffic. Then he pulled around in front of me. He stayed on the bike. We made sure all was well and went on our way. That could have been really bad. I don't think it impacted my thumb too much, but it didn't help either.

Ugh. Well I am on my way to a birthday gathering for a member of our performing troupe. I figured I would be back late, so I got on my bicycle and went to the supermarket to get some premade food. On the way back, I was crossing a notoriously busy street. I crossed between the lights at an alleyway, which many people do. The lane for motorcycles and bikes is between the street and the sidewalk. I was looking there, and didn't see a guy coming on the other side, in the middle of traffic. He was going fast. I tried to get out of the way but he clipped the back of my bike and basically yanked it out of my hands. I stayed on my feet, no worries there. But for a moment I freaked. If he fell.. he was right into oncoming traffic. Then he pulled around in front of me. He stayed on the bike. We made sure all was well and went on our way. That could have been really bad. I don't think it impacted my thumb too much, but it didn't help either.

I'm glad that you're mostly alright!