Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When that creative Muse takes over

I like to record . Its about the only activity I am obsessive about.

My Muse took over today while I was making a progress on an original.

4 hours flew by. I get oblivious- forgot to turn on the a/c, and fans, and my 10 x 12 home studio

got very warm. My wife noticed since she knows I get immersed in music.

I think the creative process is different for most artists. The best I can explain, is that I get into

a creative zone. I explore , experiment with different instruments, create melodic tracks,

fix drum tracks, clean up the structure and transitions and make good progress on finishing the multi track original.

Today was ' get close to final draft' day. [some years ago, I could not 'finish ' worth a damn. Use to have few dozen

unfinished song ideas. lots of noodling and experiments ].

I am 90% complete on this tune. I like to

sleep on it and come back fresh the next day. After that, I share the recording with my ' jury'.

I think having the attitude to finish strong on a new song is #2. #1 is getting it out there to my listeners.

What is another good sign, is that the wife [ picky school teacher with a good ear] likes my new tune. She is always

blunt, if she does not like, I hear about it. I don't require her approval as her music taste is mostly middle of the road easy listening.

It was a good day in song writing day.

How about you ? I know we have touched on some of the mechanical aspects of new song creation.

I think heart and soul and gut feeling, the intangibles + the brain has a big role.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thoughts and comments in your post Greg - I tend to be the same although must more infrequent in my output. I may go months without creating anything, then spend a lot of one weekend creating a couple of pieces. For me, and I have ZERO evidence to support the proposition, is that the seasons play a role. During the autumn / fall period I tend to be the most creative :idk

Great thoughts and comments in your post Greg - I tend to be the same although must more infrequent in my output. I may go months without creating anything, then spend a lot of one weekend creating a couple of pieces. For me, and I have ZERO evidence to support the proposition, is that the seasons play a role. During the autumn / fall period I tend to be the most creative :idk

good to hear from you, Aussie brother.

There is an endorphin or charge I get from creating a song. Its similar to just after exercise or running,

It sounds obsessive but I have zero OCD.

I am very lucky- I have time almost every day to sink into music. When I worked in tech for corporations

that sucked up all my time, and more importantly my energy.

Another contributor is that I absorb certain events/personal experience and this often a catalyst

for a new song. For example, here in CA, about 1 year ago, we had awful wild fires that wiped out entire towns.

This went on for a month and was 150 miles or less from my home, so it was looming every

day and the air quality was terrible. There were numerous stories of heroism and personal

devastation. Many were impacted and I wrote an instrumental as I interpreted the devastation on

lives. Its called " Survivors and Heroes:

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]