Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Controller ( 88 key )

Hello,

I know this is a broad subject but I am looking to sell my Kurzweil PC3x and replace it with a midi controller. I have been looking at Studiologic SL Grand and Studio, NI KOMPLETE KONTROL S88, Doepfer LMK4 ($$$). I want to go using VST's and run thru either Gig performer or Mainstage. I am finding that programming a workstation is to much time and work. Any thoughts from you all about which way I should go or something else I should review.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not keep the PC3x and use it simply as a controller? Advantages:

- Cost (you own it already)

- Nice action (although subjective - same as the SL Grand and I think the LK4)

- Good set of controllers: wheels, pedals, sliders, knobs, even ribbon and breath options

- If you're gigging and your VST rig goes down, you still have on-board sounds.

Disadvantages:

- Heavy (I don't know if you want to gig out, or whether it would stay at home)

Cheers, Mike.

Thirded. If you like the action on the PC3K, you're going to be disappointed by some if not all of the options you've mentioned in your OP. The only real disadvantage is the weight of it, and otherwise it'll make an incredible controller for software.

If you need suggestions on the best way to hook it up to best advantage -- assuming you don't already have a MIDI interface for it -- I'll happily share some. And if you decide that you'd like to add a ribbon to your keyboard, I have an Expressionmate for sale supercheap! :crazy:

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hello,

I know this is a broad subject but I am looking to sell my Kurzweil PC3x and replace it with a midi controller. I have been looking at Studiologic SL Grand and Studio, NI KOMPLETE KONTROL S88, Doepfer LMK4 ($$$). I want to go using VST's and run thru either Gig performer or Mainstage. I am finding that programming a workstation is to much time and work. Any thoughts from you all about which way I should go or something else I should review.

Thanks

Programming a workstation and setting up a workstation on a computer are about the same thing. I'd even say that the latter is more work. But the advantages of being able to cherry-pick and design your palette, upgrading soundware without having to spend a fortune on planned-obsolescent hardware every couple of years, while staying with your own tried-and-true control methods can certainly make sense.

Just a few thoughts from lots of research at my own crossroad a couple of years ago, and hands-on experience since:

Unless you want to stay within Native Instruments' family of software, there's not much reason to get their controller. But if you do go exclusively with NI in both hardware and software, you basically have a dedicated hardware workstation, you just have a greater variety of VI designers at your disposal, all working together within the Native regime. Otherwise, it's just a dumb weighted MIDI controller that costs more than it needs to.

I had a Studiologic SL88 Studio. The action was pretty good, but I've called it "flubby." Same goes for the NI KK. I haven't seen the Doepfer or the SL88 Grand. The latter is supposed to be wonderful, but like the Studio, you haven't enough control mechanics (the sticks are good, the universal knob thing in the middle is frustrating to use on the fly), but then... you have the weight factor.

So now you might as well then stay with your Kurzweil. Hmmm.

Lots to think about here! What are you trying to achieve? Will you be gigging with this setup? Recording? What kind of VI software do you see yourself using? What kind of music?

Here for the gear.

I"ve been using a Master MIDI Controller with 8 zones for 5 years.

It controls a PC in a 1U rackspace I designed and built, plus an SE-02 3 Oscillator Analog to keep things real, and an HX-3 Hammond Clone.

Small easy set up, every sound I need, Horn Sections with 10 Articulations, Strngs with 8 Articulations.

Zebra2 HZ PianoTeq and Omnisphere/Keyscape.

Three Hardware FX units for total automation, Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky.

If you find time read the Physis K4 Manual, the section that deals with VSTi"s.

Pretty sure you"ll agree this is what"s needed for live work if Software and Hardware need to be combined.

Best sounding simplest rig I"ve ever owned.

The last one I"ll need too.

E977-C365-5-AB3-4701-B4-E7-75-ECE59-F7-E7-F.jpg

0-A0-F3-B4-E-849-B-4279-A200-F1-D030-F4100-E.jpg

459-BB706-FAA5-46-A1-86-DA-46-E7-E699886-B.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Thank all for your help... great food for thought.. l am having a chat with a rep at Sweetwater to discuss my thoughts and about updating my midi interface, purchasing Omnisphere 2.6,NI-SESSION STRINGS PRO 2 & SYMPHONY SERIES and some Guitar VSTs. If any one as anything to add I"m all ears.

Thanks

Shreddage 3 is really good.

I"m a layering fool though, so I use Dracus by Orange Tree and give it a PBend amount of 1 Bi directionally.

Then Shreddage 3 with a PBend amount of 2 Bi directionally.

Bends get that Freebird Lenard Skynard sound, and pisses off my Guitarist.

I"ve been doing Lead Guitar and picked Acoustic Guitar parts ever since Gigastudio came out.

Omnisphere is great, make sure you get Keyscape with it.

Layering in Omnisphere is awesome, plus LA Classic Rhodes blended with that Beefy PianoTeq Rhodes II is nice and big.

I layer everything. Might not be needed for recording, but for live I"m competing with Bass Guitar and Drums so it really helps and I can get signature sounds.

Omnisphere layers are really nice though, Synths and Keys are spectacular now with the 4 parts.

Have fun.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic