Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If my email archive is any indication, the Neumann U87 is the most lusted-for microphone in history. That's the most commonly named microphone everybody wants to buy.

I have a theory about this. I'm collecting data to see whether my hypothesis is correct.

You can help, whether you own the mic or not. Here are the questions:

• If you own a U87 or U87 Ai, is it a go-to mic in your sessions, or do you feel like you frequently reach past it for more 'interesting' choices?
  • If you don't own the mic, but you would include it in your short list of top 5 most wanted to buy: have you ever actually used one?

Please post your response! I'm eager to see if I'm right. :-)

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had one, never used one, but sometimes I tease my wife when I'm standing in a GC and there's one in the display case with the price tag. I send her a pic with "I want one."

100.gif.bfe7c0ede13a444319d4a6b7d7d728df.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you don't own the mic, but you would include it in your short list of top 5 most wanted to buy: have you ever actually used one?

Don't own one. Never used one. Would include it in my short list if funds were available. Why not? Agree with you that if I have $10,000 to spend on microphones I wouldn't buy 3 of them. :)

:nopity:

I've never used one, but I had a TLM-103 for a while which I hated and could never find a use for. It is the top microphone I'd like to acquire at the moment, either by purchase or maybe rental just to do some testing and comparisons with my other microphones. There is nothing special about the electronics except maybe the transformer, but there many good transformers available in the $100. range. The capsule is really the only unique item in the microphone and I can't really believe it justifies the $3500. price.

Mark Karney

StudioMicZone.com

Norwest.net

I've owned two U87s for about 40 years. Got them second hand for about $500 each, and they find their way into just about every session except live-to-stereo, which usually gets either a pair of KM84s (that I've had almost as long as the U87s) or a Studio Projects LSD2. Both have a battery holder for two 22-1/2v batteries so they can be used with phantom power. One is so classic that it even has a voltmeter peeking through a slot in the case that indicates the battery condition. Since I couldn't afford a Nagra, I often used the U87s on batteries with my Sony TC-D5 cassette recorder for field recording.

At the time I got the U87s, I had a TASCAM studio and used mics to distinguish myself from all the other TASCAM studios in the neighborhood who were using mics more on par with the TASCAM gear of the period. The Neumanns and AKG C-451s and D-224s helped me keep customers.